FiiO E11 & E11K & A3 Information + Support
Jun 25, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #887 of 1,271
Quote:
I like the E11, but having a better DAC for laptop and desktop would be nice.
Fiio makes external USB DACs for under $30, Fiio D3 and D5
The DAC Destroyer USB DAC is nice, sells for $50 on eBay (It is a nice DAC, I have one).

Or just get the E7 (or E10) and just plug your phone into the amp part (E7 or E10) only.

How much of a difference does the D3 and D5 make? I bought a Fiio E5 a long time ago and while it works, it didn't really do anything for my 770 pro80. The small bass boost was nice but I barely heard a difference other than that. For my 8gb Ipod nano the E5 gave it enough power to use in my car speakers w/o sounding like garbage but otherwise it was useless for my Beyers. Point is if the D3/D5 is going to make a "E5" difference I may just stick to the E7. Otherwise, getting a E11 and a D3/D5 is something I'm VERY interested in since I can then use my beyers with my ps3 (something I always wanted to do) and I may pick up a monitor eventually and use my beyers with that (can the E7 do what I just mentioned as well?). Ultimately if the E11 to D3/D5 combo produces better sound than just an E7 then I'll get the combo since the extra flexibility would be nice.

Jun 25, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #888 of 1,271
Quote:
E17 will be a good option too, with the same amp section as E11 and a decent DAC section support 192k/24bit from coaxial and optical in, and 96k/24bit from USB in.

I agree completely. I've heard nothing but raving reviews of the E17. But every penny counts and I'd rather not go above $100. I'm still a little squeamish to the idea of spending as much money on headphone gears as headphones so preferably I want to stick to below $100 :).

I appreciate all the advice I've been getting. It's been very helpful

EDIT: For the hell of it I wanna throw the E10 into the mix. People say it's not a portable device, but honestly it doesn't look that big I could live with it. I just need a device to be portable enough so that I can move it between dorm and my house frequently without much trouble. I heard the e10 has a DAC comparable to the E17 (tho not as good is what I hear) and the amp part is better than the E7. It sounds intriguing to say the least especially since on Amazon it's about the same price.

Jun 25, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #889 of 1,271
Quote:

How much of a difference does the D3 and D5 make? I bought a Fiio E5 a long time ago and while it works, it didn't really do anything for my 770 pro80. The small bass boost was nice but I barely heard a difference other than that. For my 8gb Ipod nano the E5 gave it enough power to use in my car speakers w/o sounding like garbage but otherwise it was useless for my Beyers. Point is if the D3/D5 is going to make a "E5" difference I may just stick to the E7. Otherwise, getting a E11 and a D3/D5 is something I'm VERY interested in since I can then use my beyers with my ps3 (something I always wanted to do) and I may pick up a monitor eventually and use my beyers with that (can the E7 do what I just mentioned as well?). Ultimately if the E11 to D3/D5 combo produces better sound than just an E7 then I'll get the combo since the extra flexibility would be nice.

I would recommend the DD (DAC Destroyer), but some would rather spend $28 for the Fiio, then $50 for the DD.
I'm guessing the E7 comes with a better DAC then the D3/D5.

Jun 27, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #890 of 1,271
Hopefully the people at Fiio read this thread.

I really like the Fiio E11. I think it would also be nice if Fiio came out with a version of the E11 with a docking station.
I think the E11 makes a good low cost headphone amplifier for plugging into sound cards that have a less then perfect headphone amplification.
But being battery powered I would assume is a turn off for desktop users.
But if something like the E11 had a docking station that would power and recharge the E11 by AC.
You could have the docking station connected to a on-board or add-on sound cards line-out/headphone jack with a 3.5mm mini-jack.
It would make it a good dual use headphone amplifier.

Jun 27, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #891 of 1,271
Quote:

I really like the Fiio E11. I think it would also be nice if Fiio came out with a version of the E11 with a docking station.
I think the E11 makes a good low cost headphone amplifier for plugging into sound cards that have a less then perfect headphone amplification.
But if something like the E11 had a docking station that would power and recharge the E11 by AC.
You could have the docking station connected to a on-board or add-on sound cards line-out/headphone jack with a 3.5mm mini-jack.

Of course we will constantly read all the thread about FiiO in here. E11 is designed as a portable amp, and due to the fact that it is not real ground , so it can not work during charging. but maybe when we release E11 II in the future we will try to upgrade it to a amp which can also powered by AC power.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jun 27, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #892 of 1,271
Quote:

Quote:

Of course we will constantly read all the thread about FiiO in here. E11 is designed as a portable amp, and due to the fact that it is not real ground , so it can not work during charging. but maybe when we release E11 II in the future we will try to upgrade it to a amp which can also powered by AC power.

I also thought of this docking station a few times, and looked at the fiio 10 a few times, and the new 17. I use the fiio 11 for everything, including laptop soundcard enhancement. I ended up just buying another battery and charger and exchange the battery daily. It takes 15 seconds.. Charges last for about 10 hours (on high power, and high gain). 
  I always appreciate the fiio responses here at head fi.....Man sometimes you guys get a beat down...tough business, but I love everything about the E11 INCLUDING cost 

Jun 28, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #894 of 1,271
FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jul 1, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #895 of 1,271
guys, is there any difference between the free 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable in the fiio e11 than the L8? ... or L9? just want to know?

Jul 2, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #896 of 1,271
Surprising to me, now owning both the E11 and E17, even thought they both have the same Amp section, the E11 has significantly better resolution and sound stage when just using the amp section compare to the E17.

Jul 2, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #897 of 1,271
Quote:
Surprising to me, now owning both the E11 and E17, even thought they both have the same Amp section, the E11 has significantly better resolution and sound stage when just using the amp section compare to the E17.

That doesn't surprise me...the E11 is a great little portable. 

Jul 3, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #898 of 1,271
does anyone use the fiio e11 with the mdr zx700? I have the zx500 and it sounds pretty good with an amp. Wondering if the zx700 will benefit from the e11 as much as the zx500. 

Jul 12, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #899 of 1,271
I gotta be honest, there's no REAL need for it to be able to be charged while listening unless you listen through it for 18 hours a day. Just plug it in at night and away you go. If you're using a desktop computer, even easier: have the USB plug ready and put 'er in at the end of the day. I did it with my friggin' e6 for months because it made a light hiss when charging while listening (plus I'd rather not have extra cables everywhere).

Jul 12, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #900 of 1,271
Quote:
Does anyone use the Fiio E11 with the MDR-ZX700? I have the MDR-ZX500 and it sounds pretty good with an amp. Wondering if the MGR-ZX700 will benefit from the E11 as much as the MDR-ZX500. 

My Fiio E11 is great for driving my headphones (32-Ohm to 250-Ohm)
And the MDR-ZX700 are only 24-Ohm, very easy for the E11 to drive the MDR-ZX700s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back