FiiO E11 & E11K & A3 Information + Support
May 28, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #542 of 1,271
May 28, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #543 of 1,271
I have just purchased this amp for my rockbox'ed ipod (for flac) & ue superfi 3 (w/westone es cable) setup.  For the people who are wondering if the fiio e11 is worth getting for this particular IEM, it does add more depth (and of course more bass) to my setup.

I did have to tweek the EQ (in rockbox) in order to brighten up the sound signature, as it seems to have darkened just a tad with this amp.  The amp does hiss a little but not significant enough to bother me (for now anyway).  After about an hour of testing, I have the amp set at high bass boost (the sf3 needs a bit of extra juice) / low gain / zero eq.

Overall I am pleased with the purchase, and would like to thank ClieOS and everyone else who have contributed to this thread.

May 28, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #547 of 1,271

Quote:

I did have to tweak the EQ (in rockbox) in order to brighten up the sound signature, as it seems to have darkened just a tad with this amp.  The amp does hiss a little but not significant enough to bother me (for now anyway).  After about an hour of testing, I have the amp set at high bass boost (the sf3 needs a bit of extra juice) / low gain / zero eq.

Spot on, with the MX980 and J3 combo, that's exactly what it does, sound is darkened and with some types of music takes away the sparkle the MX980s give when it is directly connected to the J3.   Now I understand what people mean when they say it's a "dark" sounding amp.   I wonder if that was the intention of FiiO and if there is anyway to brighten up the sound signature without having to adjust the EQ. 

May 28, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #548 of 1,271

Quote:
hi clieos, just wondering if this amp would be a better choice for my GR07 and SE215 than the cmoy? thanks

Which cmoy? There are hundreds of cmoy out there. If you are referring to cmoyBB, the comparison is in the review. As for GR07 and SE215, neither really need amping IMO so even a normal cmoy is 'enough'.

Quote:
Spot on, with the MX980 and J3 combo, that's exactly what it does, sound is darkened and with some types of music takes away the sparkle the MX980s give when it is directly connected to the J3.   Now I understand what people mean when they say it's a "dark" sounding amp.   I wonder if that was the intention of FiiO and if there is anyway to brighten up the sound signature without having to adjust the EQ. 

I can kind of related to the 'dark' impression. So far I have been using my E11 to on line-out, and it doesn't strike me as a dark sounding amp at all. But I just tried it on the headphone-out on my C30 and it does sound 'dark' - well, dark is really not the word I would choose, but like 'less forward' or 'not quite as mid centric'. It seems to pull the vocal slightly backward and spread the energy evenly to between treble and bass. That is what I think make it 'dark' sounding. The information is still there, but less compressed to the mid. Not sure if this is the same for the other listeners.

May 28, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #549 of 1,271
Pardon my ignorance, you are using your E11 to line out...to what? Its interesting you think reduced mids would make something sound "less forward." I always thought more low/mids would make something sound darker.

Off topic: Also, have you listened to the B2? I was hoping someone could take it head to head with the DBA-02 and CK10. I couldn't find it anywhere.

Quote:
I can kind of related to the 'dark' impression. So far I have been using my E11 to line-out, and it doesn't strike me as a dark sounding amp at all. But I just tried it on the headphone-out on my C30 and it does sound 'dark' - well, dark is really not the word I would choose, but like 'less forward' or 'not quite as mid centric'.

May 28, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #550 of 1,271

Quote:
Pardon my ignorance, you are using your E11 to line out...to what? Its interesting you think reduced mids would make something sound "less forward." I always thought more low/mids would make something sound darker.

Off topic: Also, have you listened to the B2? I was hoping someone could take it head to head with the DBA-02 and CK10. I couldn't find it anywhere.

Sorry, just typo, it is 'on line-out', not 'to line-out'. The lack of information make it darker. It can be either a more laid back sound or missing treble. A forwarded mid gives it warm and fullness, but as long as it doesn't overshadow the treble and micro detail, it shouldn't sound dark.

Nope, have not heard B2.

May 29, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #551 of 1,271
I've been using the E11 with my m50s and clip+ and it sounds wonderful. Thanks to ClieOS and everyone else in this thread, it was very helpful to me. (I'm a noob to head-fi) Anyone got an idea how the E11 would pair up with sm3's? 

May 29, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #552 of 1,271
To ClieOS and anyone who can answer. I just got a pair of Sennheiser HD595s and love them except for the lack of strong bass. I am an avid techno listener and am looking for stronger bass. I heard about amps and am unsure whether or not to purchase any. I was curious if anyone knew if amps would solve my lack of bass problem on my 595s. Do you think Fiios e11 would do the trick? How about their cheaper e5 model? I am not very experienced with this new area and would love some feedback/help. Thank you!

May 29, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #554 of 1,271

Quote:
To ClieOS and anyone who can answer. I just got a pair of Sennheiser HD595s and love them except for the lack of strong bass. I am an avid techno listener and am looking for stronger bass. I heard about amps and am unsure whether or not to purchase any. I was curious if anyone knew if amps would solve my lack of bass problem on my 595s. Do you think Fiios e11 would do the trick? How about their cheaper e5 model? I am not very experienced with this new area and would love some feedback/help. Thank you!

Can't help you there as I don't really have any Senn's fullszie, perhaps others could. However, given an E5 is about 1/3~1/2 of an E11 price wise, I'll definitely recommend an E11.

Quote:
What is the news on the hiss, how bad is it? when does it occur.

Mentioned on the review. So far I think SE530 / SE535, UM2 and HJE900 are more likely to get affected, especially when bass boost is on.

May 29, 2011 at 5:54 AM Post #555 of 1,271
Quote:

As a long time HD 595 owner (and a big fan of amping them) and recent purchaser of an E11, I think I'm qualified to give my impressions. Does the E11 improve the 595s? Yes, somewhat. They sound is a bit fuller, there's slightly more detail and resolution. The bass is not changed much, and the bass boost buttons don't have much effect compared to on some other cans - though there's still an added rumble. Does it improve a lot? Not really.
Of my cans, I'd say that it improves the 595s the least. If you're looking for über strong bass then this combo still probably won't cut it - that's not to fault the pairing; I still think it sounds wonderful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back