FiiO E11 & E11K & A3 Information + Support
May 13, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #286 of 1,271

Quote:
S:flo2 is one of a few DAP that I won't recommend to use with E7. The reason is S:flo2 line-out voltage is too high for E7 to handle properly and it often result in clipping (amping headphone-out avoid the problem but it doesn't sound quite as good as the line-out). If you don't use E7 as DAC, I'll suggest you try to sell it and get the E11 instead.

ClieOS,

I have a T51, which is "similar" and I too hear distortion with the E7 when driven from the T51 when using the "normal" EQ profile.But if I set it to "user" with a flat EQ profile, the sound is the same but less overall volume. Have you or others deciphered what the difference is between "normal" and "user" other than the difference in volume?

Jack

May 13, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #288 of 1,271

Quote:
Hey ClieOS,
what bout low impedance iems going with the E11?
Like the RE-ZEROs?
How much did it help the RE0s?
Someone compare it to the Mini^3 guys, the high performance version of the Mini^3 is based upon the same AD8397 Opamp, is based on a ground buffered design, with the OPA690 in the ground. I've heard the Mini^3 has very Good SQ. If the Fiio is on the same level, i'd be content enough. What opamp is there in the Fiio E11's ground?

I believe the output impedance of E11 is close to zero (I can't measure it, so no way I can confirm it) and as far as I can tell the output is quite powerful, so low impedance IEM should have no problem, including RE-ZERO. The lowest impedance I have tried on E11 is 12ohm, and it is fine too. RE0 does benefit from E11 a lot, as the bass get tighter and more impactful. RE0 response very well to high output, and that's no different with E11.

I don't have mini3 nor know what opamp is used to drive the ground channel.

Quote:
Hi ClieOS,

I heard that the D2+ needs an Impedance adapter or an amp to prevent bass rolloff.
Do you think that the E11 will do the job and I'll gain a deeper bass from the D2+ and Shure SE535 ?
What about the soundstage and treble any improve here (although the se535 is great in that department) ?

Thanks

Never tried D2+ before but if we assume what you say is how it behaves, then I think E11 should do the job just fine. I don't have SE535 with me, only SE530. I don't think you will get a lot by amping SE535, but a small general improvement can be expected, as with most easily drived IEM.

Quote:
I have a T51, which is "similar" and I too hear distortion with the E7 when driven from the T51 when using the "normal" EQ profile.But if I set it to "user" with a flat EQ profile, the sound is the same but less overall volume. Have you or others deciphered what the difference is between "normal" and "user" other than the difference in volume?

When T52 / S:flo2 (same thing actually) SQ is turned on (even if it is just flat line), the system automatically cut off some headroom and lower the overall output. The reason is prevent clipping due to over EQ'ing. For example, if the output is +/-2.4V, when you EQ with +6dB or so, the output might excess 2.4V on a full note and that will result in clipping. But if you lower the output to +/-2.1V first, then if EQ might add another +/-0.2 to the end (= +/-2.3V) and you are still in the 'safe zone'.

This is a common technique DAP maker used to limit clipping issue from EQ. Sandisk actually has the same limitation of their EQ system as well. One of the big complaint about Apple EQ and how easily it distorts is because Apple doesn't put this kind of limit on their EQ so it clips when you adjust the EQ too much

May 14, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #289 of 1,271
JDSLabs Cmoy or the E11 .... 

Based on the review Headfonia gave, when it comes to sound  Cmoy seems to be the winner, where E11 won on  functionality.  But now that the Cmoy has the ability to recharge a 9volt batteries ...   it is getting very hard to decide which one to choose.   Especially since they are priced around the same. 

May 14, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #290 of 1,271
I guess you missed the few posts I made disagreeing on JDS > E11. Do check back a few pages.

Quote:
JDSLabs Cmoy or the E11 .... 

Based on the review Headfonia gave, when it comes to sound  Cmoy seems to be the winner, where E11 won on  functionality.  But now that the Cmoy has the ability to recharge a 9volt batteries ...   it is getting very hard to decide which one to choose.   Especially since they are priced around the same. 

May 14, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #291 of 1,271
Yes I read your post, it's just tonight I had time to read Headfonia's review and kinda surprising how too have different opinions, since you guys have a lot of experience in reviewing audio products.   But I guess it's not a bad thing, and just goes to show that we are not all the same and most people are going to have different opinions based on what they are listening too and what headphones are use along with many other variables.  

Point I was trying make was, it does not make my purchase decision any easier by reading 2 different reviews on the same product.   When it comes to amps with so many choices out there, I want this decision to be an easy one not harder :) 

May 14, 2011 at 4:36 AM Post #292 of 1,271
Quote:
That perhaps have more to do with how each of us interprets sound. Does the stock JDS sounds 'grand' in a way? Yes, I do think so. It has a fairly rich sound that tends to 'fill in the blank' between all the notes, giving the listener (or at least me) a more musical experience. But the question in my mind is, does the music supposed to sound that way?  Ideally an amp should be 'wire-with-gain', but the reality seems to be that an amp with a slightly coloration always sounds better than an amp that is too transparent. The first thing that comes to my mind is the reaction of many new E7 buyer complain about the amp is doing 'nothing'. But technical wise, E7 is an excellent amp down to measurement, just that it simply sounds too clean for most. People are expecting to listen to an amp that sounds 'grander' than their headphone-out. A digital'ish transparent sound is probably the last thing in their mind. This reminded me of another experience - when I was in the process of determining which portable amp I should buy 3 years ago, I auditioned the Pico. It was one of the top recommended amp in the forum at that time and to my surprise, a very warm amp and far from my idea of what an amp should be (again, 'wire-with-gain'). I ended up getting the 3MOVE - it is cheaper and sounded more transparent but not overly clean, just the way I like it. When James asked me about what I didn't like about E7 a few months ago (so he can made adjustment to the E11 project), I actually did tell him the problem with E7 for most is that it is too cold and too clean, not musical enough. I am not sure how much James understood what I was trying to say or whether he made any change to the E11 sound, but the idea of wire-with-gain IMO is a tough sell to customer, even when they are audiophile. On personal level, I think a really good amp should sound clean, but not too clean. That will make it an ideal amp for me, thus comes my issue with the stock JDS - not that it doesn't sound good, just 'too good' - well, that's my own interpretation anyway.

That is truly fascinating. I've never heard a protable amp described as "wire-with-gain." I've always thought that is what I wanted, but it is interesting to think that many (including myself) could be disappointed by that. Its slightly off topic but what portable amp most describes that to you, ClieOS?

May 14, 2011 at 6:24 AM Post #293 of 1,271

Quote:
ClieOS,

Jack

i am also using "flat user setting" because "normal" is definitely not normal and not flat - it is way louder than other settings a the sound is really ****ed-up with distortion with my triples...

May 14, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #294 of 1,271

Quote:
Quote:

That is truly fascinating. I've never heard a protable amp described as "wire-with-gain." I've always thought that is what I wanted, but it is interesting to think that many (including myself) could be disappointed by that. Its slightly off topic but what portable amp most describes that to you, ClieOS?

I won't say these are true wire-with-gain (doubt that ever exist), but something like E7, E11, T3D and to lesser extend, the 3MOVE will be something I consider to be more transparent.

May 14, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #295 of 1,271
Welcome to audio, FD900EX :)

You are up against exactly the same thing as the rest of us, and it got to me to the point this morning where I just sat down with a spreadsheet and listed all the portables I want to buy. Surprise, surprise - the total was almost exactly equal to my current 'accessible' bank balance. Other than the ability to take a lovely photo of so many portables piled on top of one another, along with my breathless impressions, what would I have beyond a drawer full of portable amps ?

Well, I would have blown enough money to buy myself the LCD-2 and a nice SS amp to drive them (Talisman T-33H). If I can ignore THAT urge, I can ignore the urge to buy every portable on my 'wish list' simply because I cant find a single, unequivocal source that is going to tell me 'This amp, with your music/source/phones, will transport you to audio nirvana !'. 

The biggest temptation I find with Fiio's gear is that its just so incredibly cheap - most of us could easily afford this and the E7 without spending the asking price for a single US-made portable. For all that, I'm going to take my chances with the TTVJ Slim, on the basis that sooner or later I have to make a decision. If the P4 was better suited to IEMs, I'd probably have held off for longer, but no matter what I do there will always be another 'gee whiz' amp on the horizon - thats the nature of the beast.

Quote:
Yes I read your post, it's just tonight I had time to read Headfonia's review and kinda surprising how too have different opinions, since you guys have a lot of experience in reviewing audio products.   But I guess it's not a bad thing, and just goes to show that we are not all the same and most people are going to have different opinions based on what they are listening too and what headphones are use along with many other variables.  

Point I was trying make was, it does not make my purchase decision any easier by reading 2 different reviews on the same product.   When it comes to amps with so many choices out there, I want this decision to be an easy one not harder :) 

May 16, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #296 of 1,271
Hey there, great to have someone of Fiio itself to answer questions
Do you think this Amp would be beneficial for a Sony Walkman X-1050 with Westone 4 headphones (there aren't that many Line-outs for Walkman yet, I never had an amp and I just bought the Westone 4s, hope to recieve them until the next week)?

Edit: My mp3-files are predominant 320kbp/s, very few 250 kbp/s variable Bitrate, almost no 128 kbp/s anymore.

May 17, 2011 at 3:52 AM Post #298 of 1,271

Quote:
Do you think this Amp would be beneficial for a Sony Walkman X-1050 with Westone 4 headphones (there aren't that many Line-outs for Walkman yet, I never had an amp and I just bought the Westone 4s, hope to recieve them until the next week)?

Edit: My mp3-files are predominant 320kbp/s, very few 250 kbp/s variable Bitrate, almost no 128 kbp/s anymore.

I don't think anyone has both an X1050, W4 and E11 at the same time to give any accurate answer, for now.

Quote:
would this be a good choice for my clip+ paired with grado sr225s? i'm considering either this or a PAV2. wanna keep it under $100!

thanks~

I don't see any bad effect from pairing it with Clip+, though I also don't think there is a lot to be gained on amping SR225.

May 17, 2011 at 3:59 AM Post #299 of 1,271
Question for CLIEos,

I am switching my RE0 for some 1964 T,and now using the FIIO e5.WOULD i benefit switching to the E11?

May 17, 2011 at 6:42 AM Post #300 of 1,271
Quote:
I don't see any bad effect from pairing it with Clip+, though I also don't think there is a lot to be gained on amping SR225.

thanks for your reply. actually i currently use a cmoy amp with my clip and sr225, i definitely notice a more 'controlled' sound with the amp than without. so i'm keen to keep using an amp!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back