FiiO E11 & E11K & A3 Information + Support
May 5, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #32 of 1,271
To be honest, I think FiiO shed away the “toys” designator with the E9 – an incredibly good desktop amp. Not just for the money – just an incredibly good desktop amp. If they’d slapped a £500 price tag on it and created a new name to market it all the “audiophiles” would be slavering over that one too IMO.

I’m interested in features though – does this have auto power on when receiving a signal?

May 5, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #33 of 1,271
This is very good news.
rolleyes.gif

I'll reserve judgement for the full review, but in the meantime I'm curious about this lo/hi-current switch. I already knew that the AD8397 had two current modes from reading up on the Arrow, but I didn't realise that FiiO were giving any way to change the modes. On top of the gain and bass settings, there seems to be a number of ways to tune it to your own tastes in terms of battery life, tone and power. Could we get a picture of this illusive switch, please?

Thanks for these impressions. Know my jealousy.

May 5, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #34 of 1,271

Quote:
This is very good news.
rolleyes.gif

I'll reserve judgement for the full review, but in the meantime I'm curious about this lo/hi-current switch. I already knew that the AD8397 had two current modes from reading up on the Arrow, but I didn't realise that FiiO were giving any way to change the modes. On top of the gain and bass settings, there seems to be a number of ways to tune it to your own tastes in terms of battery life, tone and power. Could we get a picture of this illusive switch, please?

Thanks for these impressions. Know my jealousy.

From what I understand, it was ClieOS's remark that the Arrow had two different current modes that gave them the idea to implement this switch.

May 5, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #36 of 1,271
It gets better and better. The bass boost that is mostly sub bass sounds really good. That is the most subwoofer type of sound. When I boost the midbass via EQ too much, the sound just gets thick and yucky. 

May 5, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #39 of 1,271

Quote:
Just tried it with RE262. At 4/9 on the volume pot (high gain) it already starts to become pretty loud. It has plenty of power.

Great impressions, I'm looking forward do your full review!

Also, a bit off topic, but have you heard anything recent about the progress of the RE272? I know it's been up on your blog for quite some time as a possible review.

May 5, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #40 of 1,271
May 5, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #42 of 1,271

Quote:

Do you think the E7-DAC (on my run-of-the-mill Acer laptop) sound better than the E11-amp on [iPhone3G/iPad2] with LOD?

(If so, I'll wait for the E11 instead of getting the E7 now.)

Depends on what headphones you have, but probably not.  The amp components used in the E11 are on another level compared to those in the E7.  The E7's strengths are more in its excellent DAC.

May 5, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #45 of 1,271
Well, here's a few more queries.  

1-So the detail and resolution improves w/ gain?  Any loss of source transparency or clarity as you engage high gain?

2-Any idea what the voltage swing is and what sort of current it puts out per channel?

3-Does it get warm and how warm?

4-Is it actually using a pseudo balanced ground topology?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back