FiiO E11 & E11K & A3 Information + Support
May 25, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #466 of 1,271
Quote:
How is the bass on this amp?

Strong. Perhaps too much, or too forward for my tastes. With the bass boost it just becomes overwhelming. Perhaps just a little 'flabby' in places.

May 25, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #467 of 1,271

Quote:
How is the bass on this amp?

First off, mine arrived today - less than one day of shipping to get it 25 miles to my house.  
wink.gif
  It's small, tidy - just like the other pictures posted appear.  I also ordered 2 LODs for mine (1 for the Fuze and 1 for the Walkman).  I currently am using the Walkman as my source.  My gain is set to "Hi" and the bass boost is at "0" or off.  I'm driving my Grado SR-325i headphones with it at the moment.  I have the Cowboy Junkies playing.  As the others have said, you have to watch the power with this 'lil beast.  You'll push music to loudness levels on a portable device that you never thought was possible.

Now, onto your bass question.  Since I'm using the Grados, which most people can attribute to being a bit bass shy at times, my SR-325i headphones are pushing a very nice amount of bass out at the moment.  This is really impressing me.  Granted, I won't be doing 100% of my listening with this portable equipment.  However, when commuting, traveling, etc., it will be great to have such great sound available in a very portable package at my disposal.  Two thumbs up to FiiO.  
basshead.gif

May 25, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #468 of 1,271

Quote:
Strong. Perhaps too much, or too forward for my tastes. With the bass boost it just becomes overwhelming. Perhaps just a little 'flabby' in places.

Correct, regarding the "strong" bass comment.  I"m not hearing a lot of flabby bass - but, with my Grados, I don't see any need to use any bass boost what-so-ever.  That would just kill the experience.

May 25, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #469 of 1,271
+1 for the bass being a little too forward-sounding for my tastes, even on the default boost setting. Anything more would just be absurd. However, my listening so far has been done on my already very bass-heavy Hippo VBs and Ultrasone Pro 900s and so, of course, that is to be expected. I'd say that, depending on your current choice of kit and its relative 'oomph' in the low end, your mileage may vary.

May 25, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #470 of 1,271

Quote:
 What does high or low power settings actually do? 

High power mode is where SQ and power output come before battery life; Low power mode is the opposite.

Quote:
I know this might have been asked before, but I want to know the following - is there a need for this type of amp if I'm using low independence headphones with the Sansa Clip+? I don't really need any more volume gain, but if it's going to improve SQ, I'll consider the E11.

Amp is not a a magical device that automatically make everything sounds better. In the case of Clip+ + low impedance headphone, the improvement should be relatively small.

Quote:
@ClieOS and everybody else with the E11+RE0 combo, is the bass as detailed as it can be when using the E11, or does the bass boost does something bad to RE0's bass quality? Also how does this amp compare to the Headstage Arrow 12HE?

Don't know about the Arrow, but bass boost sounds wonderful on RE0.

May 25, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #471 of 1,271
So far, I'm finding that the best pairing for me of this amp seems to be with my Grados.  The SR-325i and the SR-225 "Woodies".  Or, at least that's where I'm noticing the most improvement.  I tried my Sennheiser HD-555 headphones (modified by removing the internal rectangular "foamy" pads off the screens), but little difference could be determined by my ears.  On the Grados, though, wow - things change quite dramatically with the signature that my ears are detecting.

I'm taking the Walkman, amp and Grados to work tomorrow so I can just be "isolated" in my own music cocoon.   I'm sure it will increase my productivity by 50% - being that I'll be able to drone out the noisy accounting group that I am currently co-located in.  
angry_face.gif

May 26, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #472 of 1,271
@ psgarcha92:
Whoops... Wth was I thinking... :D Sorry for that, I usually don't make this type of mistakes.

As for the amping, since I don't need anymore I guess I'll hold up on the E11 for now. Thanks. :)

@ClieOS:

I thought that E11 can bypass the Clip+ amp and provide better quality, since it uses better components.

May 26, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #473 of 1,271

@ClieOS:

I thought that E11 can bypass the Clip+ amp and provide better quality, since it uses better components.

nooope.. You are still using the headphone out on the Clip+, so you are using that amped signal and sending it to the amp. Whereas a line out does not.. at least, thats the way I understand it.

May 26, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #475 of 1,271
CliOS,then in high power mode SQ should be the best possible from this amp?
L3000.gif

May 26, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #477 of 1,271
May 26, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #479 of 1,271
Hmm. For anyone else who's finding a little too much bass, try low power mode. I assume that like mine, most amps came set to high power mode by default and some may not have played around with it. The bass is somewhat less in your face in my (short) experience.

May 26, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #480 of 1,271
OK, quick question.  I'm seeing posts here where people are referring to high-power and low-power modes.  How do we control those modes?  Or, are they just the High and Low gain settings that control this?

Today, I brought the whole package to work.  Sony Walkman -> LOD -> FiiO E11 -> Grado SR-225 "Woodies" + Buika = Total Bliss.  Actually, while sitting in my chair at my desk to a great listening session, Buika's wonderful voice floated me off for a short siesta.  Too bad I don't know the Spanish language.  I'd love to understand her lyrics more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back