FiiO E11 & E11K & A3 Information + Support
May 21, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #376 of 1,271
Hmm, another raging FOTM that I may have to include in my upcoming 'FOTM Stomp' review/laughfest. 
biggrin.gif

To be fair to Fiio, the E9 has been a surprise package, so I wont say any more until my amps actually arrive and I can start the torture test, er, comparison !

May 21, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #377 of 1,271

Quote:
Updated on first page:

The claimed 2050mAh BL-5B battery (from this eBay store) came yesterday and I reran the battery test in 2nd configuration (see above for detail). I don't have high hope for it at first but I reckon I should at least be able to par the stock battery at worst. Surprisingly the battery works out really well. I measured 3.64V after 12hrs, which is about the same as low power mode in 1st configuration. A simple linear estimation puts another 12hrs battery life left in the battery, making it a total of 24hrs from a single charge. To add to the plus side, I didn't pre-condition the battery when I received it, so this is the first charge and it should only get better once I recharge it several times. Of course battery generally doesn't drop in linear fashion as estimated but I think 18~20 hrs or so should be easily achievable. Now this so far isn't really a real 2050mAh yet if we compared the result with the stock 800mAh battery. If it was 2050mAh, we would have got 37hrs instead, not 24hrs - then again, I haven't conditioned the battery. Regardless, this is still a pretty decent investment for the extended battery life, especially consider a genuine Nokia BL-5B 760mAh can go for $10+ a piece from reputable seller. The listed eBay price is $16 and only to U.S. with free shipping. But if you asked the seller, he can send it to most of the world with $2 of registered mail with tracking.

Very interesting. Please post back the battery's performance after a few charges.

Also, the official BL-5B battery from Nokia has 890mAh, not 760mAh: http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/accessories/all-accessories/power/batteries/nokia-battery-bl-5b

May 21, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #378 of 1,271

Quote:
Also, the official BL-5B battery from Nokia has 890mAh, not 760mAh: http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/accessories/all-accessories/power/batteries/nokia-battery-bl-5b

There seems to be two version of BL-5B. Possibly an early version that is only 760mAh and s later version that is 890mAh.

May 21, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #379 of 1,271

Quote:
There seems to be two version of BL-5B. Possibly an early version that is only 760mAh and s later version that is 890mAh.

Hum, so it seems. But ever since 2006 that the only official versions from Nokia have been rated at 890mAh, both the batteries coming with compatible cellphones as well as being sold standalone. Honestly, it's the first time I've seen one rated so low. I suspect that it's likely due to market differences that do happen between regions. Several models have different features, along with different network support, which could explain why the Nokia US page states BL-5B with 760mAh.

BL-5B was launched to the market in 2006, give or take. At that time were already considered to be one of the models that held the least amount of charge, which is why I have strong feelings against the battery choice for E11, even though I understand the portability issue, namely size, as the weight is basically the same, compared to a BL-5C, which I feel would have been the perfect choice.

Bottomline is that I'm happy with your initial findings of that higher capacity model, and hopefully it will hold a charge for at least a day. I mean, it's a bit hard to take the battery charge when things like PA2V2 charge can last over 100 hours.

May 21, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #381 of 1,271

Quote:
Bottomline is that I'm happy with your initial findings of that higher capacity model, and hopefully it will hold a charge for at least a day. I mean, it's a bit hard to take the battery charge when things like PA2V2 charge can last over 100 hours.

It really isn't what the battery capacity that hold back the E11 battery life. It is its high output and implementation. E7 battery is only 1050mAh IIRC, yet it lasts for a very long time. That is why FiiO implements the low power model which allows E11 to last close to over a day in exchange for sound quality.

Quote:
ClieOS
I have an ipod nano. I'm about to order the E11. Is there a difference in SQ between the L9 & a 3.5mm to 3.5mm. Does a 3.5mm to 3.5mm come with the E11

3.5mm interconnnecting cable is included, but you should get a LOD because there is no point in double amping when you can get the line-out signal.

May 21, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #382 of 1,271

Quote:
It really isn't what the battery capacity that hold back the E11 battery life. It is its high output and implementation. E7 battery is only 1050mAh IIRC, yet it lasts for a very long time. That is why FiiO implements the low power model which allows E11 to last close to over a day in exchange for sound quality.

Do you find the SQ difference between high and low power to be enough to justify sacrificing battery by running on high power?

May 21, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #384 of 1,271

Quote:
Do you find the SQ difference between high and low power to be enough to justify sacrificing battery by running on high power?

Yes. I will go high power mode all the way.

May 22, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #386 of 1,271
Hello ClieOS,
very nice review and it seems like a very promising product.
I just entered the world of audiophilia and got myself a pair of M50s. I know that those arent exactly
headphones that you work with and I heard that they dont require too much amplifying. However,
I am feeling that they lack a little boomy but controlled bass and was looking for bass boosting amps.
I'd also like it to be portable and inexpensive (sub 100 dollars). I narrowed it down to the CMoyBB (maybe
plus the AD8620 but dont know if around 80 dollar total would be a good deal?!) or the E11.
Would they improve my M50's? Or the Ultrasone 580/2200 in that manner? I am just looking for some additional
punchy/boomy bass.The M50 already offer good bass but I just need more.

Thanks!!!

EDIT: My source is the Sansa Fuze and I mostly listen to electronic dance music 320kbit / FLAC

May 22, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #387 of 1,271

Quote:
Hello ClieOS,
I just entered the world of audiophilia and got myself a pair of M50s. I know that those arent exactly
headphones that you work with and I heard that they dont require too much amplifying. However,
I am feeling that they lack a little boomy but controlled bass and was looking for bass boosting amps.
I'd also like it to be portable and inexpensive (sub 100 dollars). I narrowed it down to the CMoyBB (maybe
plus the AD8620 but dont know if around 80 dollar total would be a good deal?!) or the E11.
Would they improve my M50's? Or the Ultrasone 580/2200 in that manner? I am just looking for some additional
punchy/boomy bass.The M50 already offer good bass but I just need more.

Thanks!!!

EDIT: My source is the Sansa Fuze and I mostly listen to electronic dance music 320kbit / FLAC

Quick note: boomy bass is the exact opposite of controlled bass.  "Boomy" means "uncontrolled."  You cannot have boomy and punchy bass.  Just saying. :p

May 22, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #388 of 1,271

Quote:
So going with stock battery means less than 12 hours
frown.gif

Err, I posted in my review that the stock battery can last 14~15 hours in extremely loud volume with a 32ohm IEM. you should go back and read it again.

Quote:
Hello ClieOS,

If you are going for best bang for the buck, E11 is what I'll recommend. If you are looking for a bigger bass, cmoyBB probably is better for you since it is more forwarded and has a boomier bass boost.

May 22, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #390 of 1,271

Quote:
Err, I posted in my review that the stock battery can last 14~15 hours in extremely loud volume with a 32ohm IEM. you should go back and read it again.

Given that I only use full sized headphones, IEMs are not a good reference. And not being able to use it while charging is another thing I dislike. So far, the battery charge and the charging thing are two things that might be a dealbreaker. I might end up just getting the E9 and be done with it. The current battery charge just isn't enough for me, and I'm willing to sacrifice somewhat of an improvement over PA2V2 SQ for a much longer lasting battery and a pleasant sound as well.

BTW, does E11 have a SNR of 98dB or is it higher? The specs seem to be unclear on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back