FiiO E09k announced (successor to E9)
Nov 6, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #31 of 56
Just registered to comment quickly on this for future potential buyers. I recently moved from the E9 to the E09K thinking it would be an upgrade. I use the aux input feature once in a while and the front switch on the E09K makes switching to other inputs easy. However, that's where the benefits ended.

Aside from the aux switch, I don't find any benefit to the E09k. First, I can discern no difference whatsoever between the sound output of either device when used with my E17, so sound quality is unchanged between units. I realize this was expected, and I've been pleased with the performance so I wasn't looking for an increase in quality.

Second, the E09K might have a unified shutdown for the E17, but I find it pretty useless since it still doesn't sense USB input status. In other words, if using a USB source, and I shut the computer down, the E09K / E17 still stays awake. I expect my usb devices to shut down when the computer shuts down, otherwise I would be pushing off buttons and switches all over my desk!

Third, no 3.5" jack on the E09k isn't a deal breaker but it is a little inconvenient to have to find my adapter to use my Westone IEMs.

Fourth, and this is the biggie, there is no input prioritizing on the E09K. I always have my Audioengine A2 studio monitors connected to the back of the E09K, and now when I plug in my DT990s to the front headphone output, the A2s still play with my headphones. I can't understand why they would take this functionality away from the E9. Does the target audience for this device use headphones and speakers at the same time with a device like this? Sure, FiiO made it so I didn't have to pull the E17 off the dock every time I wanted an AUX input, but then they make me turn off my studio monitors every time I want to listen with headphones. Doesn't make sense to me.

TL;DR: I went back to the E9 because the E09K is more inconvenient than the E9 it replaced.

Dec 10, 2012 at 6:53 AM Post #32 of 56
Ordered the E09K today and should arrive tomorrow via Amazon...
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 19, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #34 of 56
Quote:
Is this better than the E17 as a desktop amp for Q701?

Just noticed your question, hope this answer is still relevant!

I find very little difference between the E17 and the E09K with my Q701's. The E09K has more solid bass, and I "think" the soundstage is wider, but the difference to my ears is slight. I haven't noticed any of the edgy highs problem that some have commented on (due to E09K's 10Ohm vs Q701's 60 or so), but my aging ears aren't as good at the highs any more. Basically I like the convenience of the E17K's volume control on my desk, and the punchier bass. 

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #35 of 56
 Shot in the dark and maybe this has been discussed, but when running the E17 with the E09K thru USB it sounds HORRIBLE. Almost no volume, music can only be heard in the left ear, bass in the right ear is completely distorted and nothing else can be heard. Plug into AUX and it sounds awesome, but loses the E17 functionality. Do I just have all my levels messed up? The E17 is on lo bypass as well. Suggestions?

Dec 22, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #36 of 56
I ordered a E9 for the E7 I'm receiving for Christmas. The problem is the amazon seller sent me a E9k. Will the E9k work with the E7 using the dock. Most of the stuff I read says that the E9k was specifically designed for the E7k or E17. I'm new to the Fiio club so take it easy on me. Thanks

Edit: found the info i was looking for on the FiiO page HERE

Dec 24, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #37 of 56
Just reporting in:

I just received my E09K a few days ago and so far it works quite well with my 600 Ohm DT880 and AKG Q701 headphones.
This is interesting:
I also have a La Figaro 336C which I only like with the DTT880s and a Matrix M Stage which I only like with Q701s.
I can only report on the 'phones I use, I'm not saying the Matrix and the 336C don't sound good with other 'phones.

Dec 25, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #38 of 56
Hey Chris, be interested in further feedback from you. I plugged my e09K + e17 docked into my iMac via USB and was completely underwhelmed by the sound. By comparison, my e17 directly into my iTouch using Ie80's or Amperiors is phenomenal!

I was hoping to use the E09K with my forthcoming Hd800's as a budget amp to use in the Office on my MacBook Pro Retina via optical link...

Dec 26, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #39 of 56
Hey Chris, be interested in further feedback from you. I plugged my e09K + e17 docked into my iMac via USB and was completely underwhelmed by the sound. By comparison, my e17 directly into my iTouch using Ie80's or Amperiors is phenomenal!
I was hoping to use the E09K with my forthcoming Hd800's as a budget amp to use in the Office on my MacBook Pro Retina via optical link...

Hi,
are you familiar with the Beyer DT880 600 Ohm headphones? In my experience, I could not get enough voltage out of the E17 to drive the DT880s, at a decent volume it sounded like it was clipping. I prefer the E09K over my Matrix M Stage with the DT880s.
I really need to do some comparisons with the E17 and the E09K to really get a good handle on it with the Q701s.
I'm using the FiiO with a digital source.
What can I say? Just my opinion.......YMMV.

Dec 26, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #41 of 56
Quote:
Thanks Chris, I tried via optical into my iMac last night and seems much better, will see how it copes with the 300 ohm HD800's next month...

Oh man!
I love HD800s!
Signed,
Envious..........
wink_face.gif

P.S. yeah, I usually use USB or Optical out of my HP notebook, the headphone jack on that HP really is the pants! 

Dec 31, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #44 of 56
Quote:
I'm not sure how E09K+E17 docked in works, if it uses the amp of E09K does the DAC of E17 still come into effect? And does the E17 charge while docked?
And is it a big upgrade over E17 by itself?

E09k+E17, E17 benefits to the sound quality as a DAC, while E09k acts as an Amp. And yes E17 does charge being docked. It is a big upgrade if you don't have a DAC or soundcard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back