[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Dec 11, 2019 at 8:34 AM Post #286 of 3,670
Well had it 24 hrs now and for mobile use I'm now a BT LDAC convert. Stunning audio quality for the price an super convenient going wireless when out and about with controls easy to hand. Using balanced, but SE also great to my Shure SE846's. The DAC to PC also works perfectly but I'm unlikely to use it for this feature.

I will still be using my Sony DAP for use wired at home and my DFC with PC/Speakers.

So much better than the BTR3 other than getting close to being too large and less battery life. I get excellent BT connection at all times even at 10m away (had serious issues with BTR3 connection).

Working flawlessly with my Samsung S10+ phone or my Sony A105 DAP.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #287 of 3,670
I wonder if we could use it with a balanced to single ended adapter to play in the car I rather use both chips I don’t know why only one chip is used in single ended mode.
NO! It'll cause a short within the amp.

I had read that you can go from balance to SO but not the other way. For whatever reason I have no idea.
A balanced amp has separate channels for R+, R–, L+, and L–; thus a balanced cable has four separate conductors, one for each channel.
A single-ended amp has separate channels for R+ and L+, but R– and L– are combined in a common GND; thus a single-ended cable has three conductors.
Using a balanced–to–single-ended (balanced amp, single-ended headphone) adapter would cause a short between the R– and L– channels within the amp.
Using a single-ended–to–balanced (single-ended amp, balanced headphone) adapter is essentially the same as using a single-ended headphone and will not cause a short.

Dec 11, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #289 of 3,670
I wonder if we could use it with a balanced to single ended adapter to play in the car I rather use both chips I don’t know why only one chip is used in single ended mode.

Like others have said, don't do that as it will short circuit the balanced output, and risk burning the circuit all together.

FiiO explains it long ago, that using only one chip on the 3.5mm is mainly to save battery life. This way 3.5mm user will get a bit more time out of BTR5 than 2.5mm user.

I had read that you can go from balance to SO but not the other way. For whatever reason I have no idea.

Balanced headphone + Balanced-to-single-ended adapter + single-ended output = YES

Single-ended headphone + singled-ended-to-balanced adapter + balanced output = NEVER

Dec 12, 2019 at 3:18 AM Post #291 of 3,670
Works as USB DAC from iPhone as long as charging is turned off in the BTR5 menu.
Yes:
upload_2019-12-12_16-14-46.png

You would need the Apple Camera Connection Kit (CCK) for help as well.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 14, 2019 at 6:40 AM Post #293 of 3,670
So the BT control APP does not see BTR5, I can't configure any settings

Secondly I do not have microphone input using simple TRSS 3.5mm :frowning2: this works on ES100
this when testing on OSX, midi settings doesn't even show an "input" option for BTR5, just sound output in 16-bit and 32-bit

if there is no microphone connection possible I might have to send it back, I bought it with mic support in mind. this sucks.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2019 at 7:43 AM Post #294 of 3,670

Secondly I do not have microphone input using simple TRSS 3.5mm :frowning2: this works on ES100
this when testing on OSX, midi settings doesn't even show an "input" option for BTR5, just sound output in 16-bit and 32-bit

if there is no microphone connection possible I might have to send it back, I bought it with mic support in mind. this sucks.

You confuse me a little - do you mean you have (on-board) microphone input on ES100 while using it as a Mac? I actually never see a mic input when connecting my ES100 to Windows 10, but only output.

Regardless, do you have the latest firmware on BTR5?

Dec 15, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #295 of 3,670
When using the BTR5 I pause music on my phone, after a little while a small quiet sound happens. Sounds like the headphones loses power or something, in other words it sounds like electricity is turned on/off. This same sound happens when I start playing something on my phone before the actual music starts. Is this normal? I'm guessing this is normal and have something to do with power saving. I just want to be sure nothing is wrong :beyersmile:

Dec 15, 2019 at 8:50 PM Post #296 of 3,670
When using the BTR5 I pause music on my phone, after a little while a small quiet sound happens. Sounds like the headphones loses power or something, in other words it sounds like electricity is turned on/off. This same sound happens when I start playing something on my phone before the actual music starts. Is this normal? I'm guessing this is normal and have something to do with power saving. I just want to be sure nothing is wrong :beyersmile:
Sounds like the amp is going into off or low power state. Not uncommon - my R6 Pro does the same thing. What you are hearing when the music ends and before the amp powers down is the noise floor of the combination of the amp and your earphones.

Dec 16, 2019 at 4:23 AM Post #297 of 3,670

Dear user,

1. How to use FiiO BT control? Enter the 'FiiO BT Control' menu, then briefly press the BT device's power button; Tap on the device name displayed to enter controlling

2. Could not understand your problem with the microphone. The BTR5 supports the CTIA standard for line control as well as line microphone. But the headsets with OMTP protocol only support normal listening.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 16, 2019 at 4:25 AM Post #298 of 3,670
Dear user,

1. How to use FiiO BT control? Enter the 'FiiO BT Control' menu, then briefly press the BT device's power button; Tap on the device name displayed to enter controlling

2. Could not understand your problem with the microphone. The BTR5 supports the CTIA standard for line control as well as line microphone. But the headsets with OMTP protocol only support normal listening.

Best regards

Hi Fiio thanks for the answer

1. I followed instruction but still having problems. Will contact the seller

2. Thank you, the mic is my own problem and no problem of the BTR, my bad.

Dec 16, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #299 of 3,670
Does the device need to be fully charged prior to using it for the first time? I know this was recommended for the Q5s, but wasn’t sure if it applied to all FiiO devices.

Likewise, are there any other initial startup procedures that should be followed before using the BTR5 for the first time?

Dec 16, 2019 at 8:28 PM Post #300 of 3,670
Does the device need to be fully charged prior to using it for the first time? I know this was recommended for the Q5s, but wasn’t sure if it applied to all FiiO devices.

Likewise, are there any other initial startup procedures that should be followed before using the BTR5 for the first time?

As with almost all devices with rechargeable battery, it is a good idea to charge it up to 100% before your first use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back