[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Dec 10, 2019 at 4:48 AM Post #256 of 3,650
I've been listening to the BTR5 for a couple days, doing some direct comparisons and settling in for normal listening.

My use case will be pairing with my 3.5mm jack-less Note 10+. My previous Samsung phones all had subpar sound quality from the headphones jack anyway. With LDAC the sound quality is a net positive. Since I've already upgraded to full size BT 'phones to circumvent the aforementioned headphone jack, I'll mostly be using this amp for my IEMs.

So far, I've run it with the Tin T2 Pros, Tin P1 and my custom JHA Layla's. As a cruel benchmark, I also pit it against my AK380.

The music I used for direct comparison was the beginning of Joanna Newsom "Occident"; the beginning and 1:40 mark of Holly Herndon "Frontier" and the 3 minute mark of Aldous Harding "The Barrel".

In general, the BTR5 has strong bass, if a little lacking in detail. The mids to upper mids are excellent and the highs are a little lacking. I'm not yet sure if it's rolled off or if the peaks and valleys of the frequency response are working against it. Sometimes the highs sound thin and other moments I can hear the clarity I'm expecting.

The T2 Pros, for example, can have its vaunted treble take a turn for the sibilant. As a trade off, there is a greatly increased bass presence. The mids and vocals still punch way above their weight class.

Similarly, the P1's have an excellently represented midrange and their strength is still with the vocals. The low end detail is present, but somehow not as authoritative as the little brother of the Tin lineup. Highs still sound rolled off, so maybe the amp doesn't quite have enough power. There's enough volume to listen comfortably at the 60% range and isn't ear splitting at 100%. I think it will still be adequate, but I'm not confident that there's enough to really get the planars going.

The BTR5 pushes my custom IEMs much better than any of my previous phones could ever do. It was usually too much a compromise to listen straight from my phone and would opt for lesser in-ears when isolation was required.

The general sound signature of the FiiO amp is confirmed with the overly critical Layla's. However, the pairing sounds fun with no major downsides, so it should be a happy medium for daily portable listening sessions.

The form factor and usability of the amp already works better and more conveniently alongside my cellphone than a entirely separate DAP or the USB DACs I've used. I'll have to experiment with the filters later and since I'm using LDAC, there's no EQ to fuss over. The rest of the UI has been flawless.

I can go into more detail, if anyone has specific questions. Otherwise, I can comfortably recommend the FiiO BTR5.

Dec 10, 2019 at 4:53 AM Post #257 of 3,650
Wonder if it might be worth making a sub-thread for performance of the BTR5 with devices via bluetooth. I am getting better performance via my V30 than Note 8 it seems for example. Others are getting highly variable results certainly in terms of connectivity distance. Maybe SQ differences also.

Dec 10, 2019 at 4:59 AM Post #258 of 3,650
I've been listening to the BTR5 for a couple days, doing some direct comparisons and settling in for normal listening.

My use case will be pairing with my 3.5mm jack-less Note 10+. My previous Samsung phones all had subpar sound quality from the headphones jack anyway. With LDAC the sound quality is a net positive. Since I've already upgraded to full size BT 'phones to circumvent the aforementioned headphone jack, I'll mostly be using this amp for my IEMs.

So far, I've run it with the Tin T2 Pros, Tin P1 and my custom JHA Layla's. As a cruel benchmark, I also pit it against my AK380.

The music I used for direct comparison was the beginning of Joanna Newsom "Occident"; the beginning and 1:40 mark of Holly Herndon "Frontier" and the 3 minute mark of Aldous Harding "The Barrel".

In general, the BTR5 has strong bass, if a little lacking in detail. The mids to upper mids are excellent and the highs are a little lacking. I'm not yet sure if it's rolled off or if the peaks and valleys of the frequency response are working against it. Sometimes the highs sound thin and other moments I can hear the clarity I'm expecting.

The T2 Pros, for example, can have its vaunted treble take a turn for the sibilant. As a trade off, there is a greatly increased bass presence. The mids and vocals still punch way above their weight class.

Similarly, the P1's have an excellently represented midrange and their strength is still with the vocals. The low end detail is present, but somehow not as authoritative as the little brother of the Tin lineup. Highs still sound rolled off, so maybe the amp doesn't quite have enough power. There's enough volume to listen comfortably at the 60% range and isn't ear splitting at 100%. I think it will still be adequate, but I'm not confident that there's enough to really get the planars going.

The BTR5 pushes my custom IEMs much better than any of my previous phones could ever do. It was usually too much a compromise to listen straight from my phone and would opt for lesser in-ears when isolation was required.

The general sound signature of the FiiO amp is confirmed with the overly critical Layla's. However, the pairing sounds fun with no major downsides, so it should be a happy medium for daily portable listening sessions.

The form factor and usability of the amp already works better and more conveniently alongside my cellphone than a entirely separate DAP or the USB DACs I've used. I'll have to experiment with the filters later and since I'm using LDAC, there's no EQ to fuss over. The rest of the UI has been flawless.

I can go into more detail, if anyone has specific questions. Otherwise, I can comfortably recommend the FiiO BTR5.

Are your listening observations purely based on BT connection? If BT, what are you using as transport (phone model and or DAP details?) and software (UAPP? Fiio?) and mode (LDAC only?)

Nice to start to read more audio critiques.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2019 at 5:07 AM Post #259 of 3,650
"Sweet, I love my FH7s. I use the short FIIO mmcx balance cable connected to the ES100 and now BTR5. When I want some bass I can add with EQ and reminds me of going out to night clubs."

Nice. FH7 are the bomb. One of my best ever purchases for audio. Remarkable gear.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2019 at 5:17 AM Post #260 of 3,650
For a device to receive BT signal then output digitally to an USB DAC, it needs to have USB Host function built-in (which probably needs some kind of OS, decent processing speed and ROM). That is not impossible to do technically, especially since BTR5 has XMOS chipset, but it is well beyond what an BT adapter is intended to do. To have all the hardware and software needed to implement this kind of features, you might as well build an DAP out of it.
I think my question would be just how much benefit would one derive from sending a lossy BT signal to the Mojo in the firstplace, especially when the native output from the BTR5 is just dandy anyway? I use chromecast audio to output to my Mojo using optical out for wireless applications; at least it's lossless and offers it up to 24/96 playback.

Dec 10, 2019 at 8:06 AM Post #263 of 3,650
Mine rocked up in the post this morning. Initial impressions are very good (only listened to a few tracks so far)!

Upgrading from BTR3, paired to my Shure se846 and Note 10 +. This unit seems to pack significantly more power. Lots of bass and plenty of detail. This is via the 3.5 jack haven't tried balanced yet.

With the form factor and lcd display it might be the perfect companion for IEMs and travel at this price point. I paid £85.

Dec 10, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #264 of 3,650
I returned my BTR5 yesterday. I would like to hear from Fiio as to whether they think my unit was faulty or whether it is actually incompatible with the Cayin N8 and or other DAPs. Did they only test this with mobile phones at a range of less than 1m?

If they think it was faulty I will order another. If not I am very unimpressed.

I've used mine today with Sony A105 and Samsung S10+ and been amazed at the range. Easily 10m with two partition offices between me and source on my desk. I couldn't get a stable signal with my BTR3 if my body blocked the path. Not dropped signal all day with the BTR5.

Dec 10, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #265 of 3,650

Have you tried it as a USB DAC with your Note to see if it is still lacking or simply just a result of Bluetooth transmission? Also, using LDAC, did you go into developers settings to change the LDAC setting, otherwise, the best effort is giving you worse overall quality than APTX HD.

Dec 10, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #266 of 3,650
First impressions Very happy - sounds is more full and has better 3D soundstage compared to BTR3.

Tested BTR5 with LG V30 across LDAC using BGVP DM6 on balanced custom copper litz cable.

Early listening hours yet but it’s possibly even better than listening wired from the LG as that has no balance out. Sounds is more intimate and holographic with BTR5 which I’m enjoying right now. Swapping to non balanced out sound on BTR5 is more closer to the LG sound and overall less musically involving.

This is my first experience of using a balanced earphone cable and its turning out to be a very positive one thanks in part to the balance out on the BTR5.

Not tried the USB mode as I don’t have correct cable yet. I’m looking forward to comparing the LG sound vs the BTR5 USB DAC. I will probably end up using it as a USB DAC with my daily phone - Iphone.

Wondering which Mode uses up more battery - USB vs BT LDAC ?

Only negative so far is the slightly bigger size which is outweighed by the improvements the BTR5 brings.
Hopefully a better clip design will come out or a case that negates it.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #267 of 3,650
First impressions very happy - sounds more full and 3D than BTR3 which makes makes it more musical to my ears.

Maybe it’s even better than listening wired from the LG as that has no balance out. This is my first experience of using a balanced earphone cable.
Not tried the USB mode as I don’t have cable yet.

Time to sell the BT3.

I have it connected using LG V30 across LDAC and listening with BGVP DM6 using balanced custom copper litz cable.
The V30 and BTR5 use the same Sabre DAC. The BTR5 probably has more power.

Dec 10, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #268 of 3,650
The V30 and BTR5 use the same Sabre DAC. The BTR5 probably has more power.

Sorry did an edit of my post after you quoted it.

Yes they do use same DAC Chips but there are other component factors as well that contribute to the overall sound.

The LG is my dedicated DAP. It is rooted and running in High Impedance Mode with plenty of power. Even so I’m finding myself enjoying the sound from BTR5 more across LDAC with Balanced output.

It could be that the Balanced output offered by the BTR5 is the only differentiator that is making the sound more musical for me. Sound is more holographic 3d, intimate and the bass sounds fuller.

Not sure how accurate it is sounding technically but it certainly has me listening to lot of music right now than I had intending to.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #269 of 3,650
First impressions Very happy - sounds is more full and has better 3D soundstage compared to BTR3.

Tested BTR5 with LG V30 across LDAC using BGVP DM6 on balanced custom copper litz cable.

Early listening hours yet but it’s possibly even better than listening wired from the LG as that has no balance out. Sounds is more intimate and holographic with BTR5 which I’m enjoying right now. Swapping to non balanced out sound on BTR5 is more closer to the LG sound and overall less musically involving.

This is my first experience of using a balanced earphone cable and its turning out to be a very positive one thanks in part to the balance out on the BTR5.

Not tried the USB mode as I don’t have correct cable yet. I’m looking forward to comparing the LG sound vs the BTR5 USB DAC. I will probably end up using it as a USB DAC with my daily phone - Iphone.

Wondering which Mode uses up more battery - USB vs BT LDAC ?

Only negative so far is the slightly bigger size which is outweighed by the improvements the BTR5 brings.
Hopefully a better clip design will come out or a case that negates it.
Not sure you'll be able to use as USB DAC with iPhone. iPhone won't allow BTR3 as USB DAC, reports as requiring too much power, even though charging mode is off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back