[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
May 1, 2024 at 8:57 AM Post #3,661 of 3,690
That's what I remember. In the OP it seemed like the suggestion was to connect 3.5mm headphone to adapter and use balanced jack. Maybe I misunderstood.
I read it the same way, and I disagree with them. Some people have done it with an adapter and said it is working and no big deal. I would never do it. If someone wants to use the balanced jack, they should use headphones/IEMs that are wired for balanced connections.

May 1, 2024 at 9:39 AM Post #3,662 of 3,690
I read it the same way, and I disagree with them. Some people have done it with an adapter and said it is working and no big deal. I would never do it. If someone wants to use the balanced jack, they should use headphones/IEMs that are wired for balanced connections.

Of course I do use adaptors for my 4.4 mm headphones when using 3.5 mm sources, which is OK. Electrically you simply can't get 4 poles of information through a 3 pole jack without shorting something (or leaving something disconnected). Maybe some amps (or adaptors) can somehow handle this? I know iFi sells one, but it's unclear how it's actually wired:

https://ifi-audio.com/products/headphone-adapter-3-5mm-to-4-4mm/

May 1, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #3,663 of 3,690
Of course I do use adaptors for my 4.4 mm headphones when using 3.5 mm sources, which is OK. Electrically you simply can't get 4 poles of information through a 3 pole jack without shorting something (or leaving something disconnected). Maybe some amps (or adaptors) can somehow handle this? I know iFi sells one, but it's unclear how it's actually wired:

Yes, you and I are on the same page. I would never risk damaging my equipment by using single-ended headphones or IEMs with a balanced jack, no matter what adapters exist or what people claim to have done successfully. 🤷‍♂️

May 1, 2024 at 11:07 AM Post #3,664 of 3,690

You’re correct about the iFi adapter, but I believe it is not a ‘simple’ wiring, it does include a few (many?) components.

On the DIY side, a transformer-based adapter should be safe (but better? I doubt it… :ksc75smile:).

Also, Qudelix has an “Active Ground” mode for the 5K and T71: they force the L- and R- of the Bal. PO to be the same “0” floating ground. It allows you to use a SE device/cable onto the Bal. output to address ground loops, or for a low-impedance current-hungry HP/IEM and *could* improve SQ (in theory…).
But that’s quite off-topic, and the above recommendations stand: don’t mess with Bal. (PO) to SE (HP/IEM) adapters… unless generating smoke from your BTR15/5 is your goal !!! :ksc75smile: :ksc75smile: :ksc75smile:

May 1, 2024 at 6:45 PM Post #3,666 of 3,690
That doesn't make sense to me, guys. I use the adapter and SQ improves in all fronts compared to plugging my IEM into the 3.5mm single ended. There's absolutely no argumentation about this.

Just to clarify: I'm using a 3.5mm cable on my IEM. The adapter I use is 4.4mm male to 3.5mm female.

If this causes any risk to the headphone that I had no idea, I'll buy a 4.4mm cable.

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 6:58 PM Post #3,667 of 3,690
Do you use BTR15 as USB DAC for your PC?

For this case, I find that phone mode sounds better than PC mode. PC mode sounds off for some reason, like there are some artifacts. Too bad phone mode will drain the battery.
Dude, you're right, what a ****** difference. lol. Sounds amazing. I always thought it sounded much better from the smartphone than from the PC. Much better. Case closed.

That's a ****** bug. haha.

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 7:05 PM Post #3,668 of 3,690
That doesn't make sense to me, guys. I use the adapter and SQ improves in all fronts compared to plugging my IEM into the 3.5mm single ended. There's absolutely no argumentation about this.

Just to clarify: I'm using a 3.5mm cable on my IEM. The adapter I use is 4.4mm male to 3.5mm female.

If this causes any risk to the headphone that I had no idea, I'll buy a 4.4mm cable.
It may “work” and it is safe for the HP/IEM. What is at risk is the BTR15 amp…

As for SQ, you may (?) create a crossfeed effect, which could sound better…

May 2, 2024 at 5:59 PM Post #3,671 of 3,690
I've just noticed that the difference is way too big to be just a crossfeed effect. The improvement is from top to bottom, like better low end, stronger and tighter, with more definition, precision, to clarity in general. I think balanced mode is triggered.

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 7:26 PM Post #3,672 of 3,690
I've just noticed that the difference is way too big to be just a crossfeed effect. The improvement is from top to bottom, like better low end, stronger and tighter, with more definition, precision, to clarity in general. I think balanced mode is triggered.

Out of curiosity, which specific brand adapter are you using?

May 2, 2024 at 8:56 PM Post #3,674 of 3,690
May 2, 2024 at 9:09 PM Post #3,675 of 3,690
Well, that didn't help explain anything... No information at all on how it's wired internally. It's interesting that it actually works for you (and sounds better).
Indeed. I don't like to use the expression "night and day", but there's a big diference and I know how balanced sounds like from various equipments.

Anyway since you mentioned potencial amp damage, I've just ordered the 4.4mm cable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back