[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Dec 16, 2019 at 10:11 PM Post #301 of 3,670
As with almost all devices with rechargeable battery, it is a good idea to charge it up to 100% before your first use.

This hasn't been true for ages, I'm 110% certain that the BTR5 uses a lithium ion battery and not some kind of alkine.

In fact its charging lithium ion batteries to max reduces their life cycle more than if you keep it between 20-80%.

Dec 17, 2019 at 12:50 AM Post #302 of 3,670
This hasn't been true for ages, I'm 110% certain that the BTR5 uses a lithium ion battery and not some kind of alkine.

In fact its charging lithium ion batteries to max reduces their life cycle more than if you keep it between 20-80%.

Do you read my post that clearly stated ‘the first time’?

Most consumer will unlikely be able to know much battery is left when a rechargeable device is first received (including BTR5), and it is always a bad idea to fully drain the battery, especially Li-ion, to its lowest level and recharge it back, as that is a sure way to shorten battery life in the long run and even run the risk of damaging the battery in rare case of over-draining. My advise is so that a person, who might not know how to properly take care rechargeable device, will not run the risk of completely draining the battery when (s)he first receive his / her BTR5.

This is beside the fact that it is also a good time to check if the device will take a full charge or not.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #304 of 3,670
Can highly recommend the Fiio 2.5mm short balanced cable. Beautifully made and sounds as good as any other balanced cable I've had including 4.4mm Sony Kimber ( a £180 cable vs £30 cable).

Balanced sounds noticeable better than SE. I also have the Fiio short 3.5mm cable but this is better throughout.
20191217_185414.jpg

20191217_185422.jpg

With LDAC set to sound quality pref. 990kbps you really arn't missing anything with the BTR5 balanced.

My Sony A105 wired or Dragonfly Cobalt have different signatures but can't really say one is better than the other except DFC still best for MQA tracks (Tidal) and drives demanding headphones.

I've previously had Fiio X5III and M11 but I'm enjoying this more than wired out of those.

Significantly better than BTR3 and also has the edge on the EarStudio too.

Dead silent, no hiss with my SE846's via SE or balanced.

Not really tried it as a wired DAC as I have my DFC.

Volume balanced low gain with SE846's only 22/60 so this should drive most headphones.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #305 of 3,670
I've previously had Fiio X5III and M11 but I'm enjoying this more than wired out of those.

How would you compare the EarStudio sound to the BTR5? Is the BTR5 warmer?
I am also interested how the Shanling UP4 performs but I can not get my hands on here in Europe.

Dec 17, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #306 of 3,670
I am also interested how the Shanling UP4 performs but I can not get my hands on here in Europe.

I would say the BTR5 sound is more sparkly and more open.

The EarStudio is more warm.

This is using the Hidizs MS4 on balanced.

Dec 17, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #307 of 3,670

I've not had the EarStudio for a long time. I would'nt describe the BTR5 warm at all. Its typical ESS DAC but even more pristine clear, defined, great across the range and decent width/sound stage. Zero noise floor with plenty of power.

Only time I've been fully happy with BT and build quality. The EarStudio is great sonically but cheap build & ergonomic issues for me.

Dec 17, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #308 of 3,670
I've not had the EarStudio for a long time. I would'nt describe the BTR5 warm at all. Its typical ESS DAC but even more pristine clear, defined, great across the range and decent width/sound stage. Zero noise floor with plenty of power.

Only time I've been fully happy with BT and build quality. The EarStudio is great sonically but cheap build & ergonomic issues for me.

Similar the DFC sig actually but thats sonically even better (but not massively so).

Dec 17, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #309 of 3,670
Can highly recommend the Fiio 2.5mm short balanced cable. Beautifully made and sounds as good as any other balanced cable I've had including 4.4mm Sony Kimber ( a £180 cable vs £30 cable).

Balanced sounds noticeable better than SE. I also have the Fiio short 3.5mm cable but this is better throughout.

With LDAC set to sound quality pref. 990kbps you really arn't missing anything with the BTR5 balanced.

My Sony A105 wired or Dragonfly Cobalt have different signatures but can't really say one is better than the other except DFC still best for MQA tracks (Tidal) and drives demanding headphones.

Dead silent, no hiss with my SE846's via SE or balanced.

Not really tried it as a wired DAC as I have my DFC.

Volume balanced low gain with SE846's only 22/60 so this should drive most headphones.

Please do a comparison between BTR5 and DFC. I'm thoroughly impressed by the BTR5 but was also considering DFC at one point...

Dec 17, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #310 of 3,670
Please do a comparison between BTR5 and DFC. I'm thoroughly impressed by the BTR5 but was also considering DFC at one point...

You can keep chasing your own tail in this hobby. If your after wired 24/96 max with full Tidal MQA support and money no consideration then yes, the DFC is a bit better in every way but honestly, at £75+ for the BTR5 its a no brainer. Best LDAC BT IMO. Not tried it as a wired DAC to make a judgement but supports all formats and uses same DAC's when wired so should be great. The DFC has the pro ESS DAC.

If I hadn't already got the DFC I likely wouldn't now buy in for just mobile use, but actually have that for use with my PC to feed my KEF LSX speakers MQA. I wouldn't have bought new at full rrp anyway (paid £150 for it).

I'm just sticking with the BTR5 balanced now when out & about using my A105 or S10+ as source, and straight out wired to my A105 when at home.

The DFC enables me to drive more demanding wired headphones out of A105 or S10+ as needed but 99% of my listening is now just the SE846's.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #311 of 3,670
So in general i'd say the best pairing for Btr5 is a warmer headphone, while for ES100 its a brighter one, isn't it?
Enjoyed the sound of ES100 until it gets broken.
Quality wasn't the greatest on ES100, but it was a great sounding little gem. :)

Would like to hear such bt devices like Btr5 featuring an ak-dac.
One for my Era, one for the Oppo PM-3.:L3000:

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2019 at 5:41 AM Post #315 of 3,670
Was a 15% discount code for AMP3. Making it £76.
Don't suppose you know of a code which still works?

I attempted to buy a BTR5 as soon as it became available for pre-order at Amp3, but it ended before I could complete the order.
Luck of the draw, but that was frustrating for sure:angry:.

I'm still pleased for all those who did manage to get one though, ya lucky bums!

Sandu's @DarKu excellent review only adds fuel to the fire.
I was hoping that @Hawaiibadboy would offer some more in depth opinion on the BTR5, but if I'm honest with myself I don't really need any more encouragement to buy one, just better finances!

It'll be next year, but I think I've settled on the BTR5, and the Shuoer Tape.
Should be plenty of detail and punch from that pairing, I hope!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back