Fiio amps?
Jul 23, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #181 of 877
It sounds smoother as it goes, but not very significantly as far as I can see.

Used it through about 30 hours or so, so other users who are more experienced with it can probably say more.

Jul 23, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #182 of 877
Just got mine in the mail.

There's quiet a bit of hiss, but its tolerable. I'm impressed so far. Testing with a custom cable, iRiver H300/Cowon D2 and UE SF5pro.

EDIT: Almost all of the hiss was removed when using an impedence adapter.

Jul 23, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #183 of 877
Hi Geekchic

So using this amp with my CX300's I still have some hiss, but I think it does improve the SQ of these headphones more so than on my SE530's. I think the 530's were just already doing things pretty correct. This amp doesn't make the CX300 sound more neutral (probably the opposite), but it does make them less fatiguing.

Also I still do get the hiss (and pretty much the same amount) when using this with my iAudio x5

Jul 23, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #184 of 877
Hi Dogteal, thanks for that. I'm a bit disappointed that the hiss persisted. Thanks for doing the tests!

nsx23 - how much resistance does your impedance adaptor add? Did it degrade the SQ in any way? Thanks!

Jul 23, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #186 of 877
Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarinthegourd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems to be the company as Meizu.

Is there any truth to this rumor?

Quote:

Company Name: Meizu Technology Co., Ltd.
Address: Meizu Tech Bldg., Technology & Innovation Coast, Tangjia Bay, Zhuhai 519085, Guangdong, China
Zhuhai, Guangdong
China 519060

Quote:

Company Name: FiiO Electronic Technology Ltd
Address: Jichang Road 1518#, Baiyun District , Guangzhou 510410, Guangdong, China
Guangzhou, Guangdong
China 510410

Jul 23, 2008 at 5:55 PM Post #188 of 877
DFKT, could you explain the meaning of the RMAA figures? Thanks!

Also, why are they done at Vol. 34 and Vol 50?

Jul 23, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #189 of 877
Volume 34 is the level I usually listen to with my Headsix amp attached to the D2. Volume 50 is far too loud for most IEMs, and 34 seems like a good compromise. Some people say the D2's internal amp might switch above that volume level to a lower class, but I'm not sure if this is true.

As for the RMAA tests, the FiiO performs more or less as well as the other amps in most aspects - but it's got quite a bass boost. Which I find to be a good thing, cause the FiiO's bass sounds better than, say, the software EQ on my Sansa Clip.

The FiiO sounds great with some of my bright phones, like the Ultrasone HFI-780 or the q-Jays. Too bad it hisses a lot with most sensitive IEMs.

Jul 23, 2008 at 6:13 PM Post #190 of 877
If its such a good performer I am AMAZED that they are selling it so cheap. It is opening up the possibility of amping even to someone like me who saw no need for it earlier.

Jul 23, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #191 of 877
Im relatively new to all this but Im jumping in somewhat quickly. I bought a D2 and Noreve case, now I have SA6 and Fiio on the way as we speak.

Sounds like what you are saying is that Ill get a decent representation of what I can expect when I jump up to a more expensive amp?

Obviously Ill expect more from a $2-$4 hunderd dollar amp but it sounds like this $8.50 investment isnt going to be a bad one, so to speak.

Jul 23, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #194 of 877
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for the RMAA tests, the FiiO performs more or less as well as the other amps in most aspects - but it's got quite a bass boost. Which I find to be a good thing, cause the FiiO's bass sounds better than, say, the software EQ on my Sansa Clip.

The FiiO sounds great with some of my bright phones, like the Ultrasone HFI-780 or the q-Jays. Too bad it hisses a lot with most sensitive IEMs.

mmmm....I've read the RE1's are quite bright but it has accurate bass but it's just low in quantity for it. This combined with what you said about this Fiio amp + the Mach3Bass feature with my Cowon D2 combined with the RE1's mids and highs = oh, looks very promising for me
smily_headphones1.gif
The RE1's is I've read also has lower sensitivity than my RE2's so the hiss might be les sof a problem too
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 23, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #195 of 877
Quote:

Originally Posted by geob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RE : Hiss in The Fiio E3
The specified signal to noise ratio is greater than 90 dB. To put that in perspective my Onkyo home theater Receiver has a S/N of 100 dB and it's noise is too quiet to hear.
Twenty five years of repairing Industrial Instrumentation taught me a few things.

1. First break the amplification chain in half. Take your E3 Amplifier and power it up by plugging your headphones in but with the input cable unplugged.

2. No hiss. The noise is coming from your music source.

3. Hiss Look to your batteries. Rechargeable batteries have a limited number of charge cycles and different types require different charging methods. They may not be charging to full voltage levels. NICAD need to be flattened as they have memory. Lithium based batteries like to be charged at about 80% discharge and have no memory but only last for 300 or so discharge/charge cycles.
So replace the battery with a brand new alkaline.
Still hissing try another set of headphones.
By this stage I doubt very much that you will have any hiss and will have proved that the problem lies with the input signal and all the amplifier is doing is its job of amplifying the input signal which has noise that you were previously not aware of.

The next biggest area of problems are always to do with the mechanical components such as switches, plugs and sockets.

The least likely area of failure is electronic. When electronics fail they usually fail completely. You won't find a half working diode for example.

When I try my E3 with my Sennheiser Headphones and no input signal I can't hear a thing. But I am an old fella and my hearing starts to taper off at 10 to 12,000 Hz.

If you want to see how good your hearing and headphones are go to :Equal loudness contours and audiometry - Test your own hearing
but be careful as you can produce sound levels which will damage your hearing.

Cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by geob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RE : Spike on Start Up.
If your source produces a spike when it starts don't plug the FiiO in until after the source is running.
Start your source at its lowest volume setting.
It is not for nothing that high end home theater receivers do a soft start by going into standby mode with the speakers disconnected from the output. This is because there is a power surge when the source powers up its power supply.
If your source produces a power surge at its output of course an external amplifier will amplify the surge.
In the portable situation the amount of energy involved is limited by the power supply which in turn is a reflection of the internal resistance of the batteries.
That's why a 1.36 volt rechargeable will operate equipment designed for 1.5 v zinc batteries
rolleyes.gif

I'll repost these for the sake of people having problems with the Fiio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back