FIGHT THE BEATS HYPE (Ultrasone HFI-580/HFI 580 appreciation thread)
Jun 6, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #646 of 685
I have these, but also have a couple fit issues. After wearing them for a while, my ears and the top of my head hurt. I am using them completely stock. Any solutions to this?

If you had researched your problem a little bit you would find a solution...
Buy a new headband at bhphotovideo.com it's a sennheiser hd 650 headband I believe.

Jun 6, 2013 at 6:11 AM Post #647 of 685
Wow, anyone with any doubts about burn in should have a go at the 580, mine actually lost the bass response for a few hours ,  they became unruly , the warmth stripped from them leaving a sharp , disjointed mess, they are still recovering from this but its the first time ever i have witnessed such a marked shift in performance!

Jun 6, 2013 at 6:31 AM Post #648 of 685
Just a wee update on the 580, i really like it, first the faults :

The Pro 750 spoilt me , the bass on the 580 is a poor relation definition wise but wins on impact, i would like a little more definition.
Earpads and headband pad suck, awful pleather, hard and will crack easily i fear. ( i am waiting on the Lindy Premium Hifi coming so i will try those pads, review of the Lindy will be coming soon)

Positive :

Build quality excluding pads is excellent.
Pretty comfy when the clamp loosens a bit, even with those pads.
Sound quality is really great , they are toe tapping , head bobbing , shape making super cans, they dont concern themselves with pushing teeny tiny micro details into your ears, they are not trying to present a super realistic image.
They just let the music happen, they dont get in the way and thats a welcome skill.

Im only around 30 hrs in and right now they are sounding worse that they did a few days ago, either this is burn-in at work or my cans are goosed!

Jun 6, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #649 of 685
Guys just a warning, lots of headfiers are saying that the HM5 pads are a great upgrade to the stock ones on te 580, i have just tried mine (came with lindy Premium Hifi) and i cannot recommend them at all.
The bass almost disappears , the imaging suffers as well, it widens slightly but any depth and height seems to vanish.
The comfort is amazing though and i can see people putting up with this but in my opinion it robs the 580 of its main strength  - awesome bass.

Jun 6, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #650 of 685
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00862522A/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

Anyone try this with thier ultrasones? Seems usefull if you ever want an upgrade.

Above, i have heard mixed responses to the hm5's, some saying it improves everything, others saying it makes them sound lifeless.

Im guessing that the hm5's vary by a certain degree or the way they are put on has an effect. Idk :/

Jun 6, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #651 of 685
Quote:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00862522A/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

Anyone try this with thier ultrasones? Seems usefull if you ever want an upgrade.

Above, i have heard mixed responses to the hm5's, some saying it improves everything, others saying it makes them sound lifeless.

Im guessing that the hm5's vary by a certain degree or the way they are put on has an effect. Idk :/

I suspect that Ultrasone designed the pads to be an integral part of the overall signature, all i can say is that it was a instant case of 'yuck , what the XXXX happened' then relief when they went back on. Not a subtle difference at all.

Jun 6, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #652 of 685
I see. Well, if i were you i would consider 2 other pads.

Beyer dt 250 (+ bass and mids)
Shure 940(supposedly about the same sound sig)

This is just from searching, so results may vary lol

Jul 16, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #654 of 685
Ok, so i've kinda found out how to massively increase the soundstage + imaging...

I put the headphones on, push them forward a bit just enough so it touches my ears, the i tilt them back a little bit.

Im sure this wont work for everyone, but for those who experience a small soundstage, i would recommend trying this.

PS: although these headphones are noise cancelling for the most part, listening in a quiet room makes them sound considerably better.

Anyways, just saying lol.

Oct 13, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #657 of 685
Hey was wondering how these compare to the hd558 as far as the bass and overall soundstage goes?

I loved the hfi 580's bass, best bass from any headphone I've owned by far, and the soundstage was pretty good though not as good as a few others I've tried from friends of mine. I was wondering if the hd 558's compete with these as far as bass goes and if they are better overall?

Oct 14, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #658 of 685
I've heard the hd 690's and thought that the soundstage, detail, and clarity were leagues ahead of the hfi 580's.

The bass on the other hand i could barely hear. Little to no impact as well.

What headphones did u listen to from your friends?

If u just need more bass get an e11 and set the eq to 2 :D

Nov 17, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #660 of 685
Hello fellow Head-Fi'ers and HFI-580 owners...

In line with my comment on http://www.head-fi.org/t/569107/ultrasone-fan-club-roll-call/2025#post_9987375, I have some questions for any HFI-580 owners who may also own either the Signature Pro, Signature DJ, or both, that I'm hoping you can answer.

I am a very satisfied customer when it comes to my 580's. Not only have they impressed me with their sheer endurance (4+ years of heavy, daily usage), they have also impressed me with a sound that still catches me off guard at times. They have been worth what I paid for them, twiceover. However, four years of the same sound is getting pretty old... I'm ready for something with a MUCH more refined sound while maintaining the same excellent durability. Enter the Signature Pro and Signature DJ.

A troublesome area for me with the 580's is the 2-6 kHz range... I currently have to EQ it down by about 2 dB to become bearable at louder volumes. Sometimes I also find the bass amount to be too much for my ears, often leading me to EQ the bass down by a decibel as well to control the sound pressure a bit. I am also not that fond of the metal cups as I feel they may let more sound through than plastic would. (Edit: Apparently it's just fake metal, coated plastic.) The last con in my eyes (ears?) are the pleather ear pads... given the heavy usage over the years, they are now basically in shreds (no pleather left, fabric ripping) leaving them generally uncomfortable on the ears and more susceptible to ambient noise.

No pros, aside from what I have already mentioned as the 580's are still my first hi-fi headphones... I have nothing to compare to, making my next headphone purchase a bit tricky. Enter YOU FINE FOLKS!

The qualities I desire in my next headphone are: smoother, "tamer" bass with absolutely crystal clear (up to extremely high khz) treble while maintaining clearly defined mids and lower-mids. Which of those desires do you think would be satisfied MORE with: the Sig Pro or the Sig DJ?

S-Logic is also a big focal point of mine... can anyone tell me the differences in sound between the 580's and the Sig Pro's and the Sig DJ's S-Logic technologies?

I know I won't be able to get all of the qualities I want, but I need to figure out which Signature headphone will get me the closest. Can you help me?

Thanks and more questions may come later on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back