FIGHT THE BEATS HYPE (Ultrasone HFI-580/HFI 580 appreciation thread)
Nov 5, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #541 of 685
I seem to have solved the problem with the harsh-sounding treble. This in no way will suit everyone but for me it's perfect. I just put some light, thin fabric on the inside of the earcups (see picture). This makes the treble sound a-lot less harsh, but it does also make the bass sound a bit flabby, which I don't mind at all. Overall, the detail is lost a little bit, but the general sound is slightly more laid-back.

Like I said, this mod certainly won't interest everyone but if you are getting annoyed with the harshness in the upper registers you can easily give this a go.

Also, interestingly, I feel like this mod solves the issue I had with getting the positioning quite right. I would always be moving these around on my head trying to get the best possible sound, but now it seems like the sound is the same however I wear them. Somehow this mod must have messed with the whole S-logic thing ha. Not that I mind at all.

Dec 16, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #542 of 685
Quick question, I am stuck between HFI 580 and DJ1. I know the only difference is the cable and looks, but which cable is shorter? Ultrasone has the DJ1 listed at 3 meters, but it is coiled. They have the 580 listed at 1 meter, but it also says 4 meters extended. Does anybody think the 580 cable is to long? Is the DJ1 coiled cable is the same as the 580

Dec 16, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #543 of 685
Actually, the DJ1 is slightly louder than the HFI-580. Aside from that, the HFI-580 has been updated to come with a 1m straight cable plus a 4m extension cable. The DJ1 comes with a 3m coiled cable.

Dec 16, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #545 of 685
I was surprised to see Ultrasone updating the HFI-580 cable.

I would hardly call the original 3m cable ridiculously long, though
wink.gif

Dec 16, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #547 of 685
They should already been replacing all current HFI-580 models being sold, which will be phased out for the new model. Asking the retailer should help clear that out.

Dec 17, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #550 of 685
Quote:
how long is the 3m coiled when its coiled up? Is it 3m counting the coil or is it 3m with the coil stretched out

If it's the same as the PRO series, that would be the length when stretched out. If it was 3m coiled it would be ridiculously long.

Dec 17, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #551 of 685
Quote:
The 580 is going away?  I feel almost sad, but I also feel like I've moved to a new level here in Head-fi.  I now own a pair that is no longer being made. (soon)

No worries, the HFI-580 isn't going anywhere :) It just got updated to come with a 1m straight cable and a 4m extension cable instead of the original 3m cable.

Dec 17, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #554 of 685
Quote:
I seem to have solved the problem with the harsh-sounding treble. This in no way will suit everyone but for me it's perfect. I just put some light, thin fabric on the inside of the earcups (see picture). This makes the treble sound a-lot less harsh, but it does also make the bass sound a bit flabby, which I don't mind at all. Overall, the detail is lost a little bit, but the general sound is slightly more laid-back.

Like I said, this mod certainly won't interest everyone but if you are getting annoyed with the harshness in the upper registers you can easily give this a go.

Also, interestingly, I feel like this mod solves the issue I had with getting the positioning quite right. I would always be moving these around on my head trying to get the best possible sound, but now it seems like the sound is the same however I wear them. Somehow this mod must have messed with the whole S-logic thing ha. Not that I mind at all.

This mod 
biggrin.gif

Dec 17, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #555 of 685
Quote:
This mod 
biggrin.gif

Ah :)

Well, in theory it would make sense regarding treble, but its reported effects on bass aren't good, IMHO. Also, I'm a bit puzzled at how it could change the whole headphone position relative to the head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back