FIGHT THE BEATS HYPE (Ultrasone HFI-580/HFI 580 appreciation thread)
Mar 13, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #406 of 685
DJ1 and HFI-580 should have same pads, DJ1 Pro however has more round pads and bigger cups, however DJ1 Pro also has a different sound, not as bassy for example but better comfort & soundstage from my memory. Personally I'd have gladly seen DJ1 PRO design with HFI-580/DJ1's bass capabilities. ^^

Mar 14, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #409 of 685
I've swapped the pads to these:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/645787-REG/Pearstone_9081860_Deluxe_Earpads_Pair_.html

It takes a bit of stretching to get on, but it is an amazing comfort upgrade. They get a bit itchy after a while, but I'd rather have that than the stock pads. It sacrifices quite a bit of isolation as they are more on-ear than over-ear. As far as I can tell, no sound has been changed from the stock pads to the velour.

If you're not a fan of velour, then these could also work:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/582208-REG/Pearstone_8091000_Replacement_Earpads_Pair_.html

Hope this helps!

Mar 14, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #410 of 685
Plenty of people have swapped with the DT250 velour pads, just not in this thread. Do some searches, there are a few reviews out there.

Mar 14, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #411 of 685
What's up with the backorder status on these cans? I've had them ordered on B&H for over a week and still no word. Anyone have any beta on when these will be shipped again or should I start looking for an alternative? I can't wait much longer! 
angry_face.gif

Mar 14, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #412 of 685
This headphone is old, 2002. It seems HFI 580 have now since taken over M50 recommendations this year thanks to a new spurt in growth and thus I would expect a...maybe low amount of them. This may be founded as the price has since jumped from $118 when i first bought them(right before the boom hit) to $190 now on Amazon and all safe notable retailers except BH which is at $150

Mar 14, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #413 of 685

Quote:
This headphone is old, 2002. It seems HFI 580 have now since taken over M50 recommendations this year thanks to a new spurt in growth and thus I would expect a...maybe low amount of them. This may be founded as the price has since jumped from $118 when i first bought them(right before the boom hit) to $190 now on Amazon and all safe notable retailers except BH which is at $150

I ordered them for $137 out the door at BH. But, like I said, they are backordered. I'll wait a week or so more and then try a different model if they still haven't shipped. What do you recommend comparable in SQ and price to the 580?

Mar 14, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #414 of 685

Quote:
I ordered them for $137 out the door at BH. But, like I said, they are backordered. I'll wait a week or so more and then try a different model if they still haven't shipped. What do you recommend comparable in SQ and price to the 580?

I personally like the Beyer's feel, a lot more comfortable but I feel that the sound signature is also a bit more "light" than the Ultrasone's. Im talking about the Beyer DT770 80 ohm. i only tested them for a bit but they were good, they were not burned in so i detected many problems with the highs not reaching and crackling and the bass being a bit loose(fresh out of the box new as in) but they were light, comfortable and had comparable sound signature(think lighter non slogic ultrasone that's also more comfortable) problem is they are $200 and would be best with an amp as I did have to put in a bit of power from the e17 to drive them, not a lot but enough for me to personally think that ipod's will just have enough. That's all I can suggest(not recommend) as you probably know the M50's are also in this range but I haven't heard them so I can't exactly say, most prefer the HFI 580 in terms of sound but that's all i know,

Mar 14, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #416 of 685

Quote:
You just described the overall common opinion on the DT770 (burned in or otherwise) :)

Do you have them? bc if that is really it then......eww.. i mean that crackle was....so noticeable it wasn't even funny. I was playing an extended song where the female's super high vocals were prolonged and there it was the crackling..and basically loss of control on high's and the bass wasn't as tight as I would have liked(of course i compared this to my HFI's)

I will need t try DT880 and 990 and some 250 ohms next to see if this can be rectified through higher model and series purchases

Mar 14, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #418 of 685

Quote:
What beats would these be able to best, from your guys opinion, are they better than the beats pros?

I dislike the recessed sound signature of the Beat's, the warm sound signature howeve I like. it has this sub bass not in your face but just there bass that hits . it's not super punchy but it's there and goes along and works extremely well with it's target audiences music genre(mine) which is mainstream music(lil wyane, drake black eyed peas etc) but again, i dislike the recessed mids and sometimes build quality of the lower sereis one's. It realy depends on what you need really, I personally think the XB500 and XB700 are a much cheaper and better than beats. The biggest con is price...everything "audiophile" can beat beats pro's hands down at that price. IF YOU WANT audiophile studio sound. Many don't care, id on't know if you are that kinda, but for mainstream youngin's it takes a bit to "learn" the audiophile more neutral, forward mids and punchy but low bass of most head fi audiiophile headphones

Mar 14, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #419 of 685
Thanx the problem is I listen to rock and I really like the sound of the beats studios in Janet joplins " piece of my heart" mind you I have grado sr60i's and I'm going to upgrade, but I found the duribility bad and they leaked so much I couldn't even listen to them in a car with some friends.

Mar 14, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #420 of 685

Quote:
Thanx the problem is I listen to rock and I really like the sound of the beats studios in Janet joplins " piece of my heart" mind you I have grado sr60i's and I'm going to upgrade, but I found the duribility bad and they leaked so much I couldn't even listen to them in a car with some friends.

it's good that you have an SR60i, do you like the "audiophile" sound? if you do, Shure's do rock well and are closed, there are also AKG's but those I don't have expereience with. If you just want rock, the SRH series does them extremely well, it's when you start getting background stuff that it loses. keep in mind SRH's are studios and really in the end, i would just say go and get HFI 780's I hear they are more rock prone HFI 580's. the specs show that and I have an E17 and i can say that an Treble EQ does bring out the rock, If it was me I'd get HFI 780's granted.....Ultrasone's have just recently gotten an $50-$80 increase in price due to popularity...or something...but i think it's popularity(some guy from drowning pool uses HFI 780's) The HFI 580's are great all around really, but if you are a rock guy..i guess 780's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back