FIGHT THE BEATS HYPE (Ultrasone HFI-580/HFI 580 appreciation thread)
Dec 15, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #361 of 685
Huh... well good luck with your next cans. My Ultrasones were burned in for about 100 hours already when I got them.

Dec 17, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #362 of 685

Quote:
How long did you keep the 580's? I also hated the shrillness at first, but after I had them for a week I began to get used to it and love the extra sparkle it brought to drum cymbals and crashes, along with the extra detail. Now other cans sound too muffled.

me too :) at first. the highs really made me go >_< the high vocals were all "ahhhh" and the cymbals and super high pitched electric sounds were all "noooo" but...they are gone now(most part, they are still harsh at sometimes, but other than that, the highs are still high pitched, but dont hurt for the most part now)   :) i'm at about 70-80 hours now. i'll be updating my review at the bottom when i get to a hundred :) they produce very very nice deep, tight (audiophile) punchy bass. it produces them like studio's i guess. gives the amount that the artist (somewhat) originally wanted. it gives you just that right punchy low without overpowering on most hip hop songs. while on the songs that really need the booooom. it gives. unlike the beats and the XB line. which give you super bass everywhere you go. :) The highs and mids are very good. not as good as my Shure SRH440 studio's, but good enough, and they are more fun than the studio's so it kinda evens out :)

Dec 17, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #363 of 685
Well, I just picked up a pair of the HFI-580's for $119 shipped. Hoping these are more of an "audiophile" headphone(ie: smooth midrange/treble)with solid real world bass performance. I picked up a pair of Sony XB500's a week back since I got em for only $40 shipped. With a lil EQing I love the bottom end. But the midrange and treble seem a little to muted and compressed. Hoping these 580's get me closer to what Im looking for(Strong tight detailed bass with excellent low frequency extension, while have smooth midrange/treble and improved soundstage and seperation of individual instruments and vocals). I waffled between the HFI-580's and the Pro 550's, but decided the 580's might have a bit better bass and be a better match to an ipod touch.

Dec 17, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #364 of 685

Quote:
Well, I just picked up a pair of the HFI-580's for $119 shipped. Hoping these are more of an "audiophile" headphone(ie: smooth midrange/treble)with solid real world bass performance. I picked up a pair of Sony XB500's a week back since I got em for only $40 shipped. With a lil EQing I love the bottom end. But the midrange and treble seem a little to muted and compressed. Hoping these 580's get me closer to what Im looking for(Strong tight detailed bass with excellent low frequency extension, while have smooth midrange/treble and improved soundstage and seperation of individual instruments and vocals). I waffled between the HFI-580's and the Pro 550's, but decided the 580's might have a bit better bass and be a better match to an ipod touch.

if you would like. plz read my review(on the bottom, in signature)   :) basically for the first 8-13 hours. the only words commming out of your mouth on these headphones is......what the heck did i just buy? however if you read other reivews. this is common. the highs are super harsh, and some high pitched vocals. hurt your ears. some can't stand the harsh/brightness of these for more than 30 minutes(me included) during this initial time period. the lows are there but not as deep, extended or whatever. Electronic, pop, rap, rock....played like........... idk. but they were all not that preferable. enough to listen to? yes. good? no

Then.. IT HAPPENED. i was burning them in and it happened. magic happend and has been happening. jk it's called burn in lol. they've been improving drastically ever since. past the 12-13th hour for me and these cans were amazing. they deliver electronic (pendulum) like there's no tomorrow. rock from linkin park, nickleback, rise against, breaking benjamin just fills your ears, and pop from katy perry, maroon 5, lady gaga just blows you away with the combonation of clean sound, good strong deep bass, and great vocals . and then the rap and hip hop. the tight hot punchy bass just gets you in the mood, and the rap is loud, clear concise everything you want.

Unlike the XB500's the low might be less than what you want. however. this is true audiophile bass. btw.. the bass on these is clear and not muddy like the XB series and the highs and mids sound extremely well. and if you must know. yes. it is possible and doable to EQ these headphones to get bass like the XB500's. it's been known around the forums that the hfi 580's can produce bass(after some burn in) that matches the XB500's. 

driveability? well these are JUST enough to be driven by the 15mW amp in the ipods. just below the. yess..this is jam session time volume. so yeah. i recommend an FiiO E6 amp for them still. they will do fine for msot situations, but wthout an amp, you won't be able to reach, sit down at your computer super jam session volumes

Dec 18, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #365 of 685

Quote:
me too :) at first. the highs really made me go >_< the high vocals were all "ahhhh" and the cymbals and super high pitched electric sounds were all "noooo" but...they are gone now(most part, they are still harsh at sometimes, but other than that, the highs are still high pitched, but dont hurt for the most part now)   :) i'm at about 70-80 hours now. i'll be updating my review at the bottom when i get to a hundred :) they produce very very nice deep, tight (audiophile) punchy bass. it produces them like studio's i guess. gives the amount that the artist (somewhat) originally wanted. it gives you just that right punchy low without overpowering on most hip hop songs. while on the songs that really need the booooom. it gives. unlike the beats and the XB line. which give you super bass everywhere you go. :) The highs and mids are very good. not as good as my Shure SRH440 studio's, but good enough, and they are more fun than the studio's so it kinda evens out :)

I wouldn't say that it's what the artist originally intended, as the 580's have a signature that leans VERY strongly towards the low end, and the bass is definitely exaggerated. I actually have to EQ mine down a little bit, or it sounds boomy and fatiguing to me. Still, the 580's EQ'd are better than anything else I've tried.

Dec 18, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #366 of 685

Quote:
I wouldn't say that it's what the artist originally intended, as the 580's have a signature that leans VERY strongly towards the low end, and the bass is definitely exaggerated. I actually have to EQ mine down a little bit, or it sounds boomy and fatiguing to me. Still, the 580's EQ'd are better than anything else I've tried.

OO sorry. when i said intended. i was comparing them to the XB700 and Beats...... I was talking about how audiophile bass/low frequency is closer to what artists inteded it to sound. and for me, i like the added bass, and don't need to EQ, it's great for me :) 
Pendulum sounds absolutley amazing

Dec 29, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #368 of 685

Quote:
I have a pair of pro900s on the way. But i just picked up a pair of brand new 580s off amazon for $130 delivered to Australia! Headphones are taking all my money
smily_headphones1.gif

wow. i heard austrailia was more expensive..this is a nice price for them

Jan 1, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #369 of 685

Quote:
wow. i heard austrailia was more expensive..this is a nice price for them

yeah they are normally $300. i love my local audio shop but when i can get the same product for less than 1/3 the price in the US compared to australia i can't say no. but i did buy my m50s local, and my v100 with DAC will be brought local :)

Jan 1, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #370 of 685

Quote:
yeah they are normally $300. i love my local audio shop but when i can get the same product for less than 1/3 the price in the US compared to australia i can't say no. but i did buy my m50s local, and my v100 with DAC will be brought local :)

at least u guys can STILL buy local :/ in heavy industrial area's like New England and california where many head fi'ers live. mom and pop(local) shops are almost non existent

Jan 13, 2012 at 5:22 AM Post #371 of 685

Quote:
Oh I already have with the PRO550's, though they turned out to be a dissappointment. Im now researching to be extra sure of what I would like better. Im probably gonna end up getting both to try both out.

Word.

Jan 13, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #372 of 685

Quote:
^^ 850W for a one GPU set up is totally overkill, but I guess it'll be really nice when you upgrade to a beastly SLI rig though. Upgrade your case and cooling ? I hear some water cooling setups are quite. Theres also aftermarket GPU cooling you can get.

Might trade my DJ1 PRO for a pair of HFI 580 since the bass doesn't satisfy me. Go team Ultrasone 
beerchug.gif

LMAO. BUT, most power supplies provide the most efficiency at around %50-60 load.. meaning if you require ~450W and can afford a ~850W PSU.. its not a bad choice. Bazinga!

Jan 20, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #373 of 685
Just got these in the mail, $130 shipped to Australia 
beerchug.gif
 Does anyone else have a gap in the seal just behind their earlobe? I can get some of my finger in there and I don't think it helps the bass response. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with these unamped from a laptop but I'll probably end up getting an e17 anyway 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back