FIGHT THE BEATS HYPE (Ultrasone HFI-580/HFI 580 appreciation thread)
Sep 13, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #331 of 685

Quote:
I'm a new entry-level headphone buyer doing research and I've decided on the HFI-580 but the DJ1 PRO's have now got me doing my research again. What's the difference and which one do you suggest?

EDIT: Also, are these binaural or circumaural? 

You seem to be confused... Binaural is a method of recording using two microphones inside artificial ear canals to record beautifully simulated 3d sound.
Circumaural means headphones go all the way around your ears. The 580s are circumaural. 

The DJ-1s are just 580s with a different look and a coiled cable. Other than that, the two are identical.

Sep 13, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #332 of 685

Quote:
I'm a new entry-level headphone buyer doing research and I've decided on the HFI-580 but the DJ1 PRO's have now got me doing my research again. What's the difference and which one do you suggest?

EDIT: Also, are these binaural or circumaural? 

Most Ultrasones are circumaural (around the ear). The DJ1 PRO (PRO550 in white) has a slightly bassy signature, the HFI 580, from what I've read, has more bass. The DJ1 PRO also comes with a travel case and detachable cables.

Quote:

You seem to be confused... Binaural is a method of recording using two microphones inside artificial ear canals to record beautifully simulated 3d sound.
Circumaural means headphones go all the way around your ears. The 580s are circumaural. 

The DJ-1s are just 580s with a different look and a coiled cable. Other than that, the two are identical.

PKayy was talking about the DJ1 PRO, which is a rebadged PRO550. 

Sep 14, 2011 at 8:36 AM Post #333 of 685
Thanks guys. I am a bit confused but I ended up going with the DJ1's (not the PRO's). Wasn't sure which was better but there was a price gap between the two so there was my answer! 

Sep 14, 2011 at 8:47 AM Post #334 of 685

Quote:
Thanks guys. I am a bit confused but I ended up going with the DJ1's (not the PRO's). Wasn't sure which was better but there was a price gap between the two so there was my answer! 

Good choice..
You won't be dissapointed..
They are my favorite portable cans..

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #336 of 685

Quote:
Well, I recently acquired a pair of HFI-580s in a trade.. Here are my impressions!

I don't have huge experience with headphones, but I'll do my best here.

I traded away my XB700s for these, and I would say that they really aren't all that different. The XBs might have slightly more bass quantity, but the HFI-580s have better bass quality without sacrificing much of that 'hard-hittingness'. They both can handle equalization very well, better than other headphones I've heard. Clarity is better than the XB, but they're not at the level of my SA3000s. I honestly don't know how to judge mids.

This leads me to where I believe the HFI-580s lose out, badly.. 

COMFORT.

Wowee, they're uncomfortable. I'm buying velour pads ASAP, and will attempt to stretch them out somewhat on some books.. They clamp TIGHT, and my ears are sweating within minutes of putting them on. Somehow they manage to get hotter, faster than the XB700s, didn't think  this was possible. Can't wear them with my glasses either, headaches within minutes. Hopefully things will get better with velours, we'll see.

They're very fun cans though, can't fault them on that. 

Give them a couple weeks. Mine clamped like crazy out of the box. They're perfect now.

Sep 16, 2011 at 4:16 AM Post #337 of 685
Yes, the clamp on the 580s is crazy. I thought the Audio Technica M50 clamp was bad, but the 580 straight out of the box is very tight.

Luckily you can manually stretch it and after wearing it a few weeks, it will loosen up and be just enough clamp for your head.

I guess I'm lucky that I don't experience the hotness/sweaty ear with pleather pads unless it's extremely hot or humid. The climate where I am is generally mild so there's no issues with heat..

Sep 16, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #338 of 685
Just got my HFI-580s today. I was actually looking for an alternative to the ATH-M50, since they have such a crazy hype on here but when I listened to the pair my friend owned, they just didn't quite sound as good as everyone was describing them to be. After reading this thread, I decided to go with the HFI-580s. 

They need some burn in but even out of the box they excel in some areas that I thought were lacking in the M50 (for instance, the sound stage already sounds wider on these).

Thanks guys!

Oct 15, 2011 at 6:51 AM Post #339 of 685
1.5 Month Update

The 580 has become my favourite headphone out of my small humble collection. Perhaps my current musical tastes cater to the 580 entirely, but I have not enjoyed EDM through headphones this much.

Bass is plentiful, not too muddy, fairly crisp, and hits low enough to satisfy the basshead in me. The urge to get more bass out of a pair of cans isn't as strong as it was when I was using the ATH-M50 on a daily basis for over 2 months. I'm pretty satisfied and happy with how the 580 is performing.

One minor annoyance is that the 580 is not as comfortable as the M50. I attribute this to the fact that my pair of M50 have been fairly flexed and the clamp is not as strong. The clamp on the 580 is still firm and I noticed the pads on the 580 are not as plush and soft as the M50. The headband on the M50 is more comfortable too, imho.

Overall, the 580 is definitely my favourite headphone at the moment.

I still got my eyes on the Pro 900 but that can wait as I'm not feeling the urge to upgrade quite as strongly now.

Nice job, Ultrasone!

Oct 15, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #340 of 685

Quote:
1.5 Month Update

The 580 has become my favourite headphone out of my small humble collection. Perhaps my current musical tastes cater to the 580 entirely, but I have not enjoyed EDM through headphones this much.
Bass is plentiful, not too muddy, fairly crisp, and hits low enough to satisfy the basshead in me. The urge to get more bass out of a pair of cans isn't as strong as it was when I was using the ATH-M50 on a daily basis for over 2 months. I'm pretty satisfied and happy with how the 580 is performing.

One minor annoyance is that the 580 is not as comfortable as the M50. I attribute this to the fact that my pair of M50 have been fairly flexed and the clamp is not as strong. The clamp on the 580 is still firm and I noticed the pads on the 580 are not as plush and soft as the M50. The headband on the M50 is more comfortable too, imho.

Overall, the 580 is definitely my favourite headphone at the moment.

I still got my eyes on the Pro 900 but that can wait as I'm not feeling the urge to upgrade quite as strongly now.

Nice job, Ultrasone! 

Well I wanted to come to this thread to tell everyone about a phone that has taken over my basshead needs yes even over my DJ1s...I know this thread is about our joy of the Ultrasone HFI-580..

However I need to do this.. I don't know if you guys have taken a look at my Panasonic HTF600 thread. Most that are happy with their cans will ignore or just think it is a FOTM. I am telling every single Basshead in these threads to get one and try them..Especially HFI-580 owners. The reason for this.. Well lets just say. .They only cost $30 and will definitely not only rival your HFI-580s but might take over them as it has for me.  I know it sounds completely off the edge but these are so damn cheap yet offer so much than you guys can ever imagine..

Ya you read right $30..Let me just say Souji who owns an Ultrasone pro900 just got one.. He is floored about the performance of the HTF600. Thats right for $30 bux.. I threw this up on here as I feel you guys would all enjoy this discovery more so than any one else at headfi.. These have taken over RPGwizards favorite XB500 for Basshead cans.. Do yourselves a favor and track one down..Once you guys hear these budget cans you will be like

Oct 15, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #342 of 685
I don't have the 508's but, IME, most cans "mellow" a bit after some burn in time, and that includes treble harshness.  Anyone with this specific model feel free to shoot me down, but that has been my experience with other harsh sounding headphones.

Oct 16, 2011 at 6:42 AM Post #343 of 685

Quote:
... Panasonic HTF600 thread ...

Dsnuts, lets just say I have been quietly following that thread for some time now and I have been VERY intrigued by the variety of responses a lot of head-fi veterans have posted in that thread.
With the addition of velour pads, the HTF600 look like a killer set of headphones.

My only problem is, I cannot for the life of me find any retailer in the US (or Canada for that matter) that will ship these to Canada.

If anyone can help me out, I'm all ears...!

Oct 29, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #344 of 685

Quote:
Hey guys,

I just got my 580's a few days ago and absolutely love how much "punch" the bass has. My only complaint would be the high's are a bit too harsh. Would this change within some burn in time?

Quote:
I don't have the 508's but, IME, most cans "mellow" a bit after some burn in time, and that includes treble harshness.  Anyone with this specific model feel free to shoot me down, but that has been my experience with other harsh sounding headphones.

Yes, the highs will be less harsh with more listening/burn in time. I find it's a combination of your ears adjusting to the highs/signature of the headphones and burn in. I don't know the ratio of your ears adjusting to burn in is at play, so just keep listening to notice any changes.

For me, I found the 580s lost a bit of bass over time but I'm pretty sure it's just my ears playing tricks. I'm going to keep them on the rack for a few weeks and return to them later to see if that is indeed the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back