FIGHT THE BEATS HYPE (Ultrasone HFI-580/HFI 580 appreciation thread)
Sep 10, 2011 at 4:13 AM Post #317 of 685
HFI-580, imho.

I own ATH-M50 and find the HFI-580 to be a good alternative headphone.

ATH-M50 is laid back, fairly flat response and is up to the task of handling anything you throw at it.

HFI-580 is very forward headphone and the sound signature is best suited towards electronic music.

Someone did a comparison of the three models, M50, 580, and PRO700 MK2 - search for it and you'll see the HFI-580 and ATH-M50 come out on top.

Sep 10, 2011 at 4:29 AM Post #318 of 685

Quote:
HFI-580 or ATH-PRO700MK2?

Lol.

Read this and then see it where it takes you.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/556509/review-battle-of-the-entry-level-rivals-ultrasone-hfi-580-vs-audio-technica-m50-vs-pro700-mk2

Credits to crinacle

Sep 11, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #319 of 685
Well, I recently acquired a pair of HFI-580s in a trade.. Here are my impressions!

I don't have huge experience with headphones, but I'll do my best here.

I traded away my XB700s for these, and I would say that they really aren't all that different. The XBs might have slightly more bass quantity, but the HFI-580s have better bass quality without sacrificing much of that 'hard-hittingness'. They both can handle equalization very well, better than other headphones I've heard. Clarity is better than the XB, but they're not at the level of my SA3000s. I honestly don't know how to judge mids.

This leads me to where I believe the HFI-580s lose out, badly.. 

COMFORT.

Wowee, they're uncomfortable. I'm buying velour pads ASAP, and will attempt to stretch them out somewhat on some books.. They clamp TIGHT, and my ears are sweating within minutes of putting them on. Somehow they manage to get hotter, faster than the XB700s, didn't think  this was possible. Can't wear them with my glasses either, headaches within minutes. Hopefully things will get better with velours, we'll see.

They're very fun cans though, can't fault them on that. 

Sep 12, 2011 at 3:45 AM Post #323 of 685

Quote:
Well, I recently acquired a pair of HFI-580s in a trade.. Here are my impressions!

I don't have huge experience with headphones, but I'll do my best here.

I traded away my XB700s for these, and I would say that they really aren't all that different. The XBs might have slightly more bass quantity, but the HFI-580s have better bass quality without sacrificing much of that 'hard-hittingness'. They both can handle equalization very well, better than other headphones I've heard. Clarity is better than the XB, but they're not at the level of my SA3000s. I honestly don't know how to judge mids.

This leads me to where I believe the HFI-580s lose out, badly.. 

COMFORT.

Wowee, they're uncomfortable. I'm buying velour pads ASAP, and will attempt to stretch them out somewhat on some books.. They clamp TIGHT, and my ears are sweating within minutes of putting them on. Somehow they manage to get hotter, faster than the XB700s, didn't think  this was possible. Can't wear them with my glasses either, headaches within minutes. Hopefully things will get better with velours, we'll see.

They're very fun cans though, can't fault them on that. 

hmm I wore them at 6 clicks and they were fine for me, wore them for 3 hours before they started to dig into my ears, the pads are a bit hard but I suggest trying the Shure SRH 840 pads over the velour's, I put the velour's on them*barowed form a  friend* and they brought out the worst possible sound from these.

Sep 12, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #324 of 685

Quote:
I'd definitely get open cans if my PC didn't sound like a jet taking off... But i really have no other choice and I've read these have good bass and a lively sound stage.

yea my PC is the same way, but I just turn up the volume a tad more and turn it away from me ha ha .

Sep 12, 2011 at 4:56 AM Post #326 of 685
I did yes, but it's just that I'm using an Nvidia card, an AMD processor that's a power hog, and an 850 Watt PSU, soooo A LOT of heat gets generated and the fans are always going, I have a fan sitting next to it with the side off now just to keep it at a usable temperature during the summer Ha ha ha ha ha.

Sep 12, 2011 at 8:12 AM Post #327 of 685
^^ 850W for a one GPU set up is totally overkill, but I guess it'll be really nice when you upgrade to a beastly SLI rig though. Upgrade your case and cooling ? I hear some water cooling setups are quite. Theres also aftermarket GPU cooling you can get.

Might trade my DJ1 PRO for a pair of HFI 580 since the bass doesn't satisfy me. Go team Ultrasone 
beerchug.gif

Sep 12, 2011 at 9:36 AM Post #328 of 685

Quote:
It's probably better to fix the noise from your PC than limit your headphone choice.. Did you build your own computer?

Yes i did, not really much i can do in the noise department. The fans ramp up when gaming with my GTX 570 SuperClocked video card and theres really nothing i can do at this point nor afford to make it quieter as much as i want to.

Sep 12, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #329 of 685
You'll be happy.  You will sacrifice mids and soundstage, also, the highs are a few notches louder on the 580s.  I miss my 580's but I found the Pro's far more versatile.

Quote:
^^ 850W for a one GPU set up is totally overkill, but I guess it'll be really nice when you upgrade to a beastly SLI rig though. Upgrade your case and cooling ? I hear some water cooling setups are quite. Theres also aftermarket GPU cooling you can get.

Might trade my DJ1 PRO for a pair of HFI 580 since the bass doesn't satisfy me. Go team Ultrasone 
beerchug.gif

Sep 13, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #330 of 685
I'm a new entry-level headphone buyer doing research and I've decided on the HFI-580 but the DJ1 PRO's have now got me doing my research again. What's the difference and which one do you suggest?

EDIT: Also, are these binaural or circumaural? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back