FIGHT THE BEATS HYPE (Ultrasone HFI-580/HFI 580 appreciation thread)
Mar 19, 2011 at 3:22 AM Post #241 of 685

" The journey not the arrival matters" ( T.S Eliot). I neither use Bose or Beats but what's all the hates !
I own Krell, Audio Research, Cary Audio just to name a few but I won't say Denon, Pioneer,Yamaha are craps . So are my Martin Logan speakers do not make Polk Audio a POS.

That's a valid point.  I think it has less to do with the headphone, itself, than with a reaction to people who know nothing about headphone and who, for $300, think they have the best headphones on the planet.  When someone who has owned a wide variety of high-end cans is getting fronted by someone who has never heard of the HD800, the PS1000, the T1, the Stax Omega - or now the LCD2 or the HE5/6 or the Ed10 - it's like the kind of confrontation you'd expect from a real skateboarder and some poseur walking out of Zunie's.

I'LL KILL YOU!!!!

I've heard that a lot from the women in my life.

I'd agree with all that except the above and one other point that will go unnamed but should be fairly obvious.

Well, if we're talking about Keanu Reeves turning into Clint Eastwood, take a look at Constantine (angry, antisocial, bad boy) and Street Kings (angry, antisocial, bad boy with a badge).  Keanu Reeves has stopped making movies where he says, "Whoaaaa," and has started making movies where he walks around, squinting, cursing and shooting.  The main difference between Reeves' last two films and Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino is the wrinkle count.

I wish there were a connection to headphones but I kind of blew that gig when I made that David Letterman Top Ten List.

Mar 19, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #242 of 685
I used to be in retail after being laid-off from Ma-Bell in 2003, there were people who proudly purchase Bose231 or the Bose lifestyle and they believed that the best thing ever happened since the slice of bread. Also there were some people who wanted nothing but Monster inter-connections ( RCA/Components/HDMI hi-speed) and they are insisted to have Monster cables.

While I knew that they can do better with the same amount of money or a bit more to have a more accurate SQ but I saw the happiness and the pride of ownership by the expression on their faces, I was happy for them being happy. They would eventually grow out of it and start to realize that there is (are) better stuff out here ( hopefully ),so why busted their bubbles. On the other hands, I felt like a snake-oil salesman.

I am glad that I have associated with a few folks who own or owned hi-end audio stores so I have had a chance to audition and have had a chance to differentiate the sound signature of different line of audio products. Still, it was and is a trial and error process and only I can determine what is good for my ears according to my taste of music and the room acoustic of my own audio room.

This is a priceless forum with vast valuable information for learning but I would advise anyone who is new to audio to NOT to ask what should he or she needs to buy. Get all the information as much as you can then let your own ears tell you what should you buy. All the reviews and recommendation are full of bias and the associated equipments  of one reviewer are not the same with another reviewer.

Again, as much as I like T.S.Eliot , I again quote " The journey not the arrival matters" . Enjoy your journey to Audio Nirvana.

Apr 1, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #245 of 685
Best amp under $100 to get more bass out of these?? Thinking about getting the DJ1's.

EDIT: The Cmoy BB 2.03 looks pretty good. 9 dB of bass increase. Has anyone tried this with their 580's? Can they handle the bass boost?

Apr 2, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #246 of 685
Lol, if you think those 50mm drivers on the 580 have anything to worry about, they don't.  They should shrug off the CMoy just fine.

Apr 2, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #247 of 685
I guess I'll have to wait and see... I'm a bit of a basshead. The M50 was way too weak and I heard the 580 had only a bit more bass than that. Even the Crossfades didn't fully impress me.

Quote:
Lol, if you think those 50mm drivers on the 580 have anything to worry about, they don't.  They should shrug off the CMoy just fine.

Apr 4, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #248 of 685
get the sony XB700 with a Cmoy, your ears will bleed and lungs collapse.

Apr 5, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #249 of 685

Quote:
I guess I'll have to wait and see... I'm a bit of a basshead. The M50 was way too weak and I heard the 580 had only a bit more bass than that. Even the Crossfades didn't fully impress me.

Well I thought we were talking about mechanical limitations not signature preference.  If you want loose and flabby like the XB500/700 you want a more technically inferior driver than the 580.  Something with a weak cone and crappy magnet.

Apr 5, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #250 of 685

Quote:
Well I thought we were talking about mechanical limitations not signature preference.  If you want loose and flabby like the XB500/700 you want a more technically inferior driver than the 580.  Something with a weak cone and crappy magnet.

XB700, flabby? i herd no such thing. I miss them.

Apr 5, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #252 of 685
seriously, I had them for like...maybe two years, the bass was not flabby. It wasent tighty or detailed but it certinly was not flabby.

Apr 5, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #253 of 685

Quote:
seriously, I had them for like...maybe two years, the bass was not flabby. It wasent tighty or detailed but it certinly was not flabby.

Ok, well they have the loosest bass response of any headphone I've owned.  Which headphone sounds flabby to you then?

Apr 5, 2011 at 2:46 AM Post #254 of 685
beats, Bose, Phiton MS300/400. ATHm5*camo* The HD600 had a bit of tub to them but I have the feeling that might have been something wrong with the driver as it was a demo model. Sony in ears*totally forgot the model*, JVC marshmallows,Skull candy*of course*, iGrado, the XB series were not tight but they weren't tubby bastards like the ATH M5's those things made me cringe as I thought they were the m50*mismarked* when I first tried them. The XB series was bloated as hell but I didn't find the bass slacking when listing to any speed core or jump style.

Apr 5, 2011 at 4:26 AM Post #255 of 685

Quote:
beats, Bose, Phiton MS300/400. ATHm5*camo* The HD600 had a bit of tub to them but I have the feeling that might have been something wrong with the driver as it was a demo model. Sony in ears*totally forgot the model*, JVC marshmallows,Skull candy*of course*, iGrado, the XB series were not tight but they weren't tubby bastards like the ATH M5's those things made me cringe as I thought they were the m50*mismarked* when I first tried them. The XB series was bloated as hell but I didn't find the bass slacking when listing to any speed core or jump style.

Well I've never owned any of those.  It's not a horrific flab, just colored for a specific genre.  Let's call it loose shall we.  If it was completely terrible I wouldn't still own it.  Though I'm just more into the earpads tbh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back