FIGHT THE BEATS HYPE (Ultrasone HFI-580/HFI 580 appreciation thread)
Mar 7, 2011 at 8:56 AM Post #212 of 685
Scytus posted this but it was only done at the store but both headphones were compared from the same device. http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/542838/ultrasone-hfi-580-vs-sony-xb500-comparison-review

Both are only compared unEQ'd though. HFI-580 could have great potential to become similar bassheavy as XB500 and XB500 might have potential to get the similar clarity etc with much more detail than unEQ'd (which is such a night and day difference for me at least). Would still be interesting to hear some1 comparing them with EQing as well using minimum 10-band EQ or a parametric EQ. HFI-580 will probably need a huge boost at 31 - 62Hz range to achieve the deep rumble of XB500 though as HFI-580 appears to be more mid/upper bass centered which makes it less full and tighter compared to XB500 which has a flat bass response curve for the entire bassrange (which is very uncommon for headphones, I can only quickly think of one another with that and that would be the mighty LCD-2 but ofc at far smaller emphasize).

Mar 7, 2011 at 9:06 AM Post #213 of 685
Thanks RPG

If I read your post correct, it seems that the 580 would probably need some additional "power" to get the best sound possible?

Mar 7, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #215 of 685

Quote:
Maybe I missed it, but has anybody owned both the HFI-580 and the Sony XB500?

If so, how do they compare?

I had the XB700's, the HFI-580 don't have that much bass, but they also have other things like mids and highs.

Mar 8, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #216 of 685
Just got my first purchase of some real headphones and have a few questions...

1) Is this supposed to be made in Taiwan? I just noticed the "Made in Taiwan" sticker and on the box, it says, "THE German headphones" or something... Did I order a fake? (I bought these from DJDEALS)

2) On the instruction manual, it says that the headphone cables are detachable. To my knowledge, these were actually unable to do that (unlike the Dre Beats). So I'm confused. Can I take out the cables from the headphones or are they permanently attached? If I wanted to take them out, how would I do so?

Mar 9, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #217 of 685
1. Yeah, the HFI-580's are made in Taiwan. I guess it's the same way some Toyota's are made in the USA.

2. If you got the same manual I did, it's a manual for multiple Ultrasone phones, some of which do have detachable cords. However, the 580's do not have such cords.
Quote:
Just got my first purchase of some real headphones and have a few questions...

1) Is this supposed to be made in Taiwan? I just noticed the "Made in Taiwan" sticker and on the box, it says, "THE German headphones" or something... Did I order a fake? (I bought these from DJDEALS)

2) On the instruction manual, it says that the headphone cables are detachable. To my knowledge, these were actually unable to do that (unlike the Dre Beats). So I'm confused. Can I take out the cables from the headphones or are they permanently attached? If I wanted to take them out, how would I do so?

Mar 9, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #218 of 685

"Don't have that much bass"?

Quote:
I had the XB700's, the HFI-580 don't have that much bass, but they also have other things like mids and highs.

Mar 9, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #219 of 685

correct.

Quote:
Thanks RPG

I forgot about that review. I am really itching to snag a pair from B&H Photo, but I needed some last minute feedback. 

If I read your post correct, it seems that the 580 would probably need some additional "power" to get the best sound possible?

Mar 9, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #220 of 685

Quote:
"Don't have that much bass"?

I was saying that don't have "that much" bass, as in they don't come close to being the bassy fart cannons the XB700's are.

Mar 9, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #222 of 685
the HFI-450 were meh, nothing smecial go for the m50's if the 580's are out of your pricerange.

Mar 9, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #224 of 685
So nice that my 580's came in less than 5 days from overstocks free shipping. So far they seem good without burn-in and these are the first new headphones that don't fatigue my ears at high levels prior to burn-in... but I don't know is it fair to compare these to the beats? They seem like two different headphones with different purposes.

I don't think these are "basshead" phones but then again what is the exact definition of a basshead around here? The bass is definitely not boomy nor too light with the hfi580's so far but then again I only just listened to a few songs on my macbook and without EQing anything. I'm actually surprised how comfortable the clamp is for me after reading many reviews saying they weren't the greatest. I'll write a full review later after I spend tons of time with these but so far so good, and it looks like a keeper for an "all around" headphone for the price range. I'm liking the details I'm hearing and the bass is decent. Time to plug it into a better source and listen to some electronic music.

Also the XB1000's are tempting now..

Mar 9, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #225 of 685
Ordered mine yesterday... unfortunately they were out of stock, so it'll take a week or two for me to get them. *sigh*

I'm sooo looking forward to hearing them after everything i've read in this thread!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back