FIGHT THE BEATS HYPE (Ultrasone HFI-580/HFI 580 appreciation thread)
Feb 1, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #151 of 685

Quote:
Since you didn't like my awesome suggestion for the iBasso D2+  (which isn't an expensive portable amp btw)

How about a Fiio E7 ? It's cheaper...

Don't bother with an E5, they do very little for the 580

true dat. They add a liiiittle bit on the low end, and that seems to be it. But hey, better than unamped and DIRT cheap =] 

I dig the D2+, but I've been eyeing the D4..

Feb 2, 2011 at 2:36 AM Post #152 of 685

Quote:
Homie, you pick up that D4? Got any impressions to share?

Ah, I totally forgot to post some impressions. I got the D4 in a trade shortly after I posted, and I love it! I use it mostly as a DAC and it works very well in that regard, eliminating all signal noise coming from the computer. I could hear more details in the music, even in youtube videos. As for the bass, I can only describe it as "tighter". Without the amp it was more "booom.....booom" and with it it becomes "BOOM   BOOM". It doesnt necessarily boost the bass, but each note is more defined and you notice when it begins and ends.

If theres anything else you want to know about, just ask.

Feb 3, 2011 at 8:23 AM Post #153 of 685
I am looking to buy HFI-580 but trying to find a store and stuff, but i read on some different sites that hfi-580 and DJ-1 is the same headphone? But with some diffrent cord and color. Is this the case because when i look at the technicals specs they don't seem to be exactly the same....

Feb 3, 2011 at 8:56 AM Post #154 of 685

Quote:
I am looking to buy HFI-580 but trying to find a store and stuff, but i read on some different sites that hfi-580 and DJ-1 is the same headphone? But with some diffrent cord and color. Is this the case because when i look at the technicals specs they don't seem to be exactly the same....

I asked Ultrasone the same question and the answer I got was that they use the same drivers and are effectively the same headphones. However, with regard to Ultrasone's own tech specs the DJ1 is allegedly 104db SPL where as the HFI580 is 101db SPL.
I have heard them both side by side and couldn't tell the difference, I took the DJ1 because I liked the aesthetics.

Feb 3, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #155 of 685

Quote:
Quote:

I asked Ultrasone the same question and the answer I got was that they use the same drivers and are effectively the same headphones. However, with regard to Ultrasone's own tech specs the DJ1 is allegedly 104db SPL where as the HFI580 is 101db SPL.
I have heard them both side by side and couldn't tell the difference, I took the DJ1 because I liked the aesthetics.

Damn this is so hard as I don't have a place to try these out in sweden.... At the moment after ive noticed DJ-1 i'm now also looking on the DJ-1 Pro.... the DJ-1 pro seems awesome as you can change the cord and bigger pads overall. But if they sound worse then that is a dealbreaker ofcourse and ive read that they sound different but "worse or better" is ofcourse a very personal choice so i cant decide on that.

If anyone have tried hfi-580/dj-1 and the dj-1 pro and can compare them i would love to hear more. The price is not an issue if the dj-1 pro is better.

Feb 3, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #156 of 685
I think the DJ 1 PRO is the Ultrasone Pro 550. I liked both the PRO 550 and the HFI 580 so much at that time that I bought both
tongue.gif

The HFI 580 has more bass impact. The PRO 550 has much wider soundstage. Both different enough to own both.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Damn this is so hard as I don't have a place to try these out in sweden.... At the moment after ive noticed DJ-1 i'm now also looking on the DJ-1 Pro.... the DJ-1 pro seems awesome as you can change the cord and bigger pads overall. But if they sound worse then that is a dealbreaker ofcourse and ive read that they sound different but "worse or better" is ofcourse a very personal choice so i cant decide on that.

If anyone have tried hfi-580/dj-1 and the dj-1 pro and can compare them i would love to hear more. The price is not an issue if the dj-1 pro is better.

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #157 of 685

I think the DJ 1 PRO is the Ultrasone Pro 550. I liked both the PRO 550 and the HFI 580 so much at that time that I bought both
tongue.gif

The HFI 580 has more bass impact. The PRO 550 has much wider soundstage. Both different enough to own both.

Still own both?

Feb 5, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #158 of 685

When you use it as an amp/DAC vs just DAC, how does the amplifier affect the sound (aside from making it louder of course)? I was just wondering if there were any specifics with treble and mids. One of the reviews I read said that this was a pretty natural/transparent amp, but I just wanted your take on top of that =]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5370H55V /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, I totally forgot to post some impressions. I got the D4 in a trade shortly after I posted, and I love it! I use it mostly as a DAC and it works very well in that regard, eliminating all signal noise coming from the computer. I could hear more details in the music, even in youtube videos. As for the bass, I can only describe it as "tighter". Without the amp it was more "booom.....booom" and with it it becomes "BOOM   BOOM". It doesnt necessarily boost the bass, but each note is more defined and you notice when it begins and ends.

If theres anything else you want to know about, just ask.

Feb 6, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #159 of 685
Quote:

Still own both?

Sorry, I don't. My preferences have moved towards refinement. I still enjoy fun sound signatures which I get from my ATH W2002, but it sounds completely different from the Ultrasones. It does seem that the ATH L3000 is the ultimate basshead headphone so that may be a far off future goal of Ultrasone bass lovers.

Feb 6, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #160 of 685
Duuude, those are gorgeous!! As per refinement, I'm hopefully gonna score a set of cans completely different from the HFI's in the near future. I want to experiment. But I really want a pair of thunderpants down the road =]

Quote:
Quote:

Still own both?

Sorry, I don't. My preferences have moved towards refinement. I still enjoy fun sound signatures which I get from my ATH W2002, but it sounds completely different from the Ultrasones. It does seem that the ATH L3000 is the ultimate basshead headphone so that may be a far off future goal of Ultrasone bass lovers.

Feb 6, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #161 of 685
I was actually thinking of asking Smeggy to make me a pair in maybe a month or two. As a past HFI 580 lover, maybe I could share my thoughts on it's bass (which seems to be best characteristic FWIR)   =)

... if I decide to get it that is lol 

Quote:
Duuude, those are gorgeous!! As per refinement, I'm hopefully gonna score a set of cans completely different from the HFI's in the near future. I want to experiment. But I really want a pair of thunderpants down the road =]

Quote:
Quote:

Still own both?

Feb 6, 2011 at 5:04 AM Post #162 of 685
Hey Wind,

What was your complaint with the Pro900's? I remeber you not liking them, but after searching again I couldn't find why. When I try to think back, I think it was bass related, but unsure as many praise the 900's bass.

Feb 6, 2011 at 5:53 AM Post #163 of 685
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjj8E3nUGSg&feature=player_embedded#

Duuuude, you guys need to hear these drums on HFI-580's, so punchy and crips, but so deep (for the kicks/floor tom) =]

Feb 6, 2011 at 5:54 AM Post #164 of 685

Quote:
Hey Wind,

What was your complaint with the Pro900's? I remeber you not liking them, but after searching again I couldn't find why. When I try to think back, I think it was bass related, but unsure as many praise the 900's bass.

It was actually mids related. I had the Denon D7000 and the Ultrasone PRO900 at the same time when I was comparing between the two. From the comparisons, I just couldn't find anything that the Ultrasone could do better. The bass impact may have been a tad stronger on the 900 but it was so small that it was negligible. The biggest difference though is in the mids. The Denon D7000s already have laid back vocals/ recessed mids. The Ultrasones recessed the mids even further which really bothered me like no other. The treble remained at nearly at the same level for each headphone, nearing sibilance.

At the price I paid for the PRO 900 though, $350, I really didn't mind the problems. They were a great headphone for the price. Nearing close to the performance of the Denon D7000 at almost half the price (I paid $650 for the D7000) in sound stage and bass impact. I'm sure a good EQ would help in balance. I also didn't get to try the Kees mod, which supposedly improves the mids in exchange for less bass impact.

Feb 6, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #165 of 685
Man, I absolutely love these headphones like 20 times more, now i've had a chance to gander through all your reccommendation tracks.
Thank you so much for sharing.

I'm in love with the 580's.
Easily one of the best purchases i've ever made. =DD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back