FIGHT THE BEATS HYPE (Ultrasone HFI-580/HFI 580 appreciation thread)
Jan 24, 2011 at 8:47 AM Post #46 of 685
Yes the s logic makes it sound different.

I have been enjoying these but the tonal difference is different compared to all of my cans, the dt 48 sounds plain jane, the hd 650 k 701 sound like the same except it's brighter regarding k701.

News to syctus, my zune can drive these to a loud level like my amp easy at max volume with plenty of bass and if you have read about the bass overpowering is because it sounds more bloated and less tight.

Compared to my zune, my amp gives 20% tighter bass and doesn't overpower the headphones but bass is the sameish but very close just the difference in how tight the bass is.

Jan 24, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #49 of 685
I'd be more interested in hearing exactly how the bass is, is it well balanced deep vs upper bass. By deep bass I mean around 0 ~ 125Hz or so and 125 ~ 250Hz for upper bass, like is the tight punchy / fast bass more pronounced compared to the slow deep soft rumbling bass? It may be difficult to say unless you've tried different headphones, I've tried XB700 and DT770 Pro/80 which I'd concider among the top contenders when it comes to deep bass emphasized headphones (bass that is slow/rumbling/soft lacking slight impact but is usually fairly well separated from mids, as in it won't color the mids too much) and then I've tried for example Denon D1100 and AKG K 518 DJs which both got VERY emphasized hard-hitting upper bass while lacking in deep bass output, decays too quick but affects the tonal balance of the mids a bit more (smoothens the mids). ATH-M50 I concider fairly balanced deep vs upper bass wise but the quantity was slightly too little for my taste (I swear the ATH-M50 I tried was more bass-lean compared to some other guy's M50 though).The XB500 got very nicely balanced deep vs upper bass output, it's perhaps tiny bit on the punchier side but not much and slight EQing is enough to take care of that. Sennheiser HD 212 Pro that I have are just tiny bit on the boomier/deep bass side but not a lot and that's why I suppose I've also appriciated HD 212 Pro's bass and this was my first "decent" headphone and haven't always been perfectly happy with the other ones I've tried in comparision so a balanced deep vs upper bass output is obviously very important for me. 

If any1 would be able to comment on that regarding HFI-580 and if you have any experience with other bassy headphones mention those too please it would be much appriciated. The other concern regarding HFI-580 I have are exactly how the mids are, they don't look very much boosted at all (maybe slightly recessed even compared to highs and bass) as opposed to XB500 which has this slight bump at 1 - 2kHz range. I really enjoy forward/warm mids, doesn't matter how great the bass is if the mids aren't forward enough, I don't mind if vocals even sticks out "too much", it's usually a great thing and fine details are often better heard.

It's a very huge difference in having strong bass but recessed mids versus strong bass but forward mids... unfortunately this seems to be rather uncommon. Some of the Audio Technica highend woodies might be that but they are not quite in my budget (and possibly slightly weaker in bass output than I'd like but EQing might bring it there).

Jan 24, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #50 of 685
I'm not quite done with burn in, but I'd say the HFI-580's do bass well. Straight out of the box with a tiny E5, these cans have crazy low end rumble. As time has passed, I feel like the bass has tightened up, but tweaking the EQ quickly brings the rumble back. As per lower bass vs upper bass, I think they handle either equally well. Ultimately, the lynchpin that determines which excel seems to be the mix. If the song was recorded and mastered in such a manner that the lower bass is emphasized, the 580's rumble- and rumble deeep. These cans go low. In regards to upper bass, I return to my thesis of the mix. If the song or audio device's EQ is particularly gears to emphasize bass punch, emphasize bass punch they will. As per the mids, I will admit they're not quite a forte of this pair. Out of the box, mids felt a bit recessed. Where they stand now, circa 250+ hours of burn in, I'd say the mids have come forward noticeably. One of the bands I enjoy the most is an acoustic/folk band, HeIsWe. Mids can't be that bad.

Jan 26, 2011 at 3:56 AM Post #51 of 685
BTW, anyone else wanna post their HFI-580 impressions- I mean, like a full-blown review, if you have the time =]

Jan 26, 2011 at 5:32 AM Post #52 of 685
Great write-up. If you want better mids with less (but still plenty) bass, try the hfi680, which like the 580 is severely underestimated.

Jan 26, 2011 at 6:30 AM Post #53 of 685

Quote:
Great write-up. If you want better mids with less (but still plenty) bass, try the hfi680, which like the 580 is severely underestimated.

I'm considering the HFI-780 or PRO 900 for my next jump in the Ultrasone fam. How are the 680's in comparison to the 580's?

Jan 26, 2011 at 6:32 AM Post #54 of 685
I just ripped the CD my can's came with (some Ultrasone thing with eclectic music/sounds) in Apple Lossless. OH MY. THIS IS S-LOGIC. LISTEN TO THE CD. I"M TRIPPING OUT RIGHT NOW.

Jan 26, 2011 at 6:34 AM Post #55 of 685

Quote:
Quote:

I'm considering the HFI-780 or PRO 900 for my next jump in the Ultrasone fam. How are the 680's in comparison to the 580's?

Just a bit better in everything. It is a balanced headphone in terms of sound signature, quite forward, fast and detailed.

Jan 26, 2011 at 6:41 AM Post #56 of 685
Yeah, that's what I've heard. I'm all for losing a liiittle bass for more forward mids. all the same, these phones rock =] . I'll post my review later today.

Jan 26, 2011 at 6:56 AM Post #57 of 685
In its price range I found it to be pretty unbeatable in terms of sound (very subjective of course...). I only sold it because i upgraded to an esw10jpn which does sound better, but is twice as expensive also. In all, the hfi680 is a wonderful product.

Jan 26, 2011 at 7:29 AM Post #58 of 685
Recently bought a pair of these here HFI-580's and i'm loving them sooo much. =D
I wanted to know, how long do they take to "burn-in", and what kind of difference will it make?

And also, any recommended portable amps for these headphones?
The volume kind of lacks when I play them with my iPod nano, which is more than understandable considering the size of these phones and the amount of power they must demand.

Thaanks. =D

Jan 26, 2011 at 7:35 AM Post #59 of 685

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Just a bit better in everything. It is a balanced headphone in terms of sound signature, quite forward, fast and detailed.

The 680's are a great pair of cans but they don't go as low as the 580's, the mids however are more pronounced and they don't have the occasionally painful treble of the 780's

Jan 26, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #60 of 685

Quote:
Recently bought a pair of these here HFI-580's and i'm loving them sooo much. =D
I wanted to know, how long do they take to "burn-in", and what kind of difference will it make?

And also, any recommended portable amps for these headphones?
The volume kind of lacks when I play them with my iPod nano, which is more than understandable considering the size of these phones and the amount of power they must demand.

Thaanks. =D

I run mine through an iBasso D2+ and it's a fantastic combination. Amping these headphones really fills out the bottom end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back