Ferrum OOR - headphone amplifier with a soul ?
Jul 11, 2023 at 7:04 AM Post #3,631 of 3,854
Yeah, I sent them a message and they instructed to try other outlets which I'll do. But the unit should be brand new which I got a week ago. Previous had channel balance issue and they replaced the whole unit so I would expect it to be the latest version. I hope I don't have to send it since it would mean another month plus wait. The last unit I had for 2 days before it went back. The "issue" is very small so I'm not sure would everyone even notice but it's just something that caught my attention when adjusting volume. (I need to be grounded to notice it, sitting on a chair without feet touching ground there's none)

Also reading specs of the power brick (Mean Well GST60), it seems that the negative side of dc output is not connected to ground? No idea if it’s relevant though and could the issue be with leakage current.
If the power brick is indeed the cause here, it comes as no surprise to me personally as I have found them (all) to vary significantly in reliability/noise/ground effects over the years. Hence all mine have eventually been relegated to the attic and replaced with LPSs...and without spending a fortune - ie economical Chinese "Ultra Low Noise" units at around $100, incl shipping (or more if wanted). Mine have proved very reliable for years now (despite their relatively low cost), powering tube amps and my TT2/mscaler combo. One even magically transformed a 'Drop THX AAA One' I played with just by replacing the stock PS, and certainly held its head high in a fight against the Hypsos PS....especially given the price difference!!

However, I myself wouldn't now be without my Hypsos, for all the reasons mentioned here many times before...and my wallet's pain has long since faded lol... :wink: :ksc75smile:
Whatever, I hope your niggle is soon remedied one way or t'other...good luck. And hope you continue to enjoy what OOR can deliver...especially when fed with the best juice one can muster! :smile_phones:

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2023 at 12:37 AM Post #3,632 of 3,854
Experiencing an odd intermittent Hypsos issue...
I will occasionally notice some static followed by the sound cutting out completely.
When this happens, I see the Output Power and Output Current on the Hypsos shoot way up.
Sometimes music will resume a few seconds later and other times I have to power off/on the unit.
I'm plugged into a Furman Pro Power Strip.
Any idea what could be happening here?
I am on the most current firmware.
Just ran across this post. I have had the same issue as this for a year. The symptoms were exactly the same. The problem is ESD, electrostatic discharge. I live in a very dry climate, when the humidity gets down below 20%, I’ll pick up a charge just walking over the rug to adjust the volume on the Oor, or touch the headphones (Susvaras). This often locks the amp into a static mode, or completely stops the signal, either way the Hypsos power supply output increases. Turning the Hypsos off and on resets everything. My previous HP amp did not have this problem. Anyone else out there experiencing this?

Jul 30, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #3,634 of 3,854
May I ask what you use?
Hi geek707.

I myself went for overkill for my 15V TT2 & mscaler...I like to have plenty of spare capacity! - ie a 120W model :
https://www.ebay.com/itm/273114268322?_

Screenshot 2023-07-30 195534.pngScreenshot 2023-07-30 195346.png

The DC plug needs to be stipulated as 2.5mm, and most sellers of similar units give the option of different voltage out including, fortunately, 24V. Probably a lower power model would be just fine, but as many have dual outputs care needs to taken re spec of course. I personally (as always) rewired the DC cable using my preferred Neotech UP-OCC silver and copper wires and with a part carbon fibre, gold plated DC plug, although the included cable is pretty good quality (mains cable NOT included).

Mine have given me years of troublefree service, with no hint of any kind of 'noise'...neither obvious nor discernible adverse effect on sound quality.

Aug 16, 2023 at 4:54 AM Post #3,635 of 3,854
Has anyone come from a FiiO K9 pro ESS? Or have compared to the Oor? Thinking of making the jump.

Aug 16, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #3,637 of 3,854
What's the headphone you plan to pair with?

Oor, as a standalone amp, still need DAC from K9.
Good point. Thinking of pairing w Susvara. Current HP is HD800s. Wondering if I should upgrade altogether w wandala dac or stay w f9 as dac only.

Aug 16, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #3,640 of 3,854
Hello ever. Was wondering if anyone can give me some heads up. I am currently using Woo Audio Fireflies Gen 3, paired to my Musician Pegasus and HE 1000 V2 Stealth. Been contemplating on getting the OOR and Hypsos Stack. They will be paired to my Pegasus and V2 Stealth. Anyone tried this and how was it? Thanks

Aug 19, 2023 at 8:27 AM Post #3,642 of 3,854
Can y’all hear the difference in sound when changing the voltage? For me, I don’t think I can really tell that anything’s changed… my ears are not very practiced but still a little surprised I can’t hear a difference. Just curious to know others’ experience.

EDIT: Can hear the difference, just had to listen to the same segment of music and switch back and forth.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #3,643 of 3,854
Selling my Ferrum combo since i expect my final amp (hopefully!) to arrive (hopefully!) next week. The Ferrum's were such a powerhouse in a small form factor and did power the Susvara and 1266 and other stuff perfectly. Highly recommended, like any reviewer will tell you.

Aug 21, 2023 at 7:52 AM Post #3,645 of 3,854
Look at my signature! I hope it's the last amp upgrade i'll do, period. Only some tube swaps with that monster!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back