Ferrum OOR - headphone amplifier with a soul ?
Apr 22, 2024 at 6:03 AM Post #3,841 of 3,852
Which of the connection do you think is the best?
1. XLR in OOR, XLR out to Headphone
2. RCA in OOR, SE out to Headphone
3. XLR in OOR, SE out to Headphone
4. RCA in OOR, XLR out to Headphone

I used to think the first option is the best, but now I got challenged that RCA + SE is better for vocals? I don't have all the exact cables in XLR and RCA or the exact headphone cable in XLR and SE to make fair comparision between the four options.....
As has already been mentioned, a certain amount will depend upon the configuration/quality of either XLR or SE implementation throughout the system...not to mention, as always, personal preference. As for balanced power and sensitive headphones, my easy to drive Empyreans (w/Angled Alcantara pads) sounded measurably better via XLR out from my TT2/mscaler to OOR and then out to Empys, using the same high spec DIY UP-OCC solid silver and copper cable as for SE.

ps. OOR also in 'bypass' mode...:relaxed:

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2024 at 5:56 AM Post #3,844 of 3,852
1714125308215.png

Source: https://ferrum.audio/2024/04/26/hypsos-dual-output-more-for-less

Looks like "just" an hypsos with an internal splitter.
Voltage is the same on both outpus :frowning2:

Apr 26, 2024 at 6:47 AM Post #3,845 of 3,852
May 4, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #3,848 of 3,852
Has anyone tried the ferrum oor without the hypsos? I know it’s recommend to pair them up but I just want to see if I can save some money and just get the ferrum oor.

I briefly tried it long ago, but I will say that you can run the Oor without the Hypsos, especially if you want to save money, but I would save up and add it later if you can.

May 4, 2024 at 8:35 PM Post #3,850 of 3,852
Thanks, I will just do that. The hypsos is tempting though, never tried additional power pack to an amp so no idea how large the improvement will be

It’s an improvement, but how much is relative. I think it’s a big enough upgrade, but… diminishing returns is a thing, for sure. You might be to pick up a used one in the classifieds here. They end up showing up here and there.

May 4, 2024 at 9:08 PM Post #3,851 of 3,852
Has anyone tried the ferrum oor without the hypsos? I know it’s recommend to pair them up but I just want to see if I can save some money and just get the ferrum oor.
Depends on your headphones. For dynamics it should be just fine. But for power hungry planars you can’t escape the Hypsos. Or just get a different amp.

May 5, 2024 at 4:59 PM Post #3,852 of 3,852
someone using erco gen2+hypsos+oor combination? it will suitable?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back