Ferrum OOR - headphone amplifier with a soul ?
May 6, 2023 at 8:19 AM Post #3,601 of 3,858
Wow, the Ferrum Stack really treats the Utopia OG well! Turns the pleasure knob of the Utopia up even higher.

May 7, 2023 at 6:17 PM Post #3,602 of 3,858
Has anyone tried using a khozmo preamplifier with oor?
how does that sound?
I see there are several options (48/64 steps) what do I need for oor?
Is there a good tube preamplifier in the $400-$500 price range?
Thanks

May 8, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #3,603 of 3,858
May 10, 2023 at 7:28 PM Post #3,604 of 3,858
I left my room for a couple hours and came back and it smelled like something burning. The Oor was so hot I couldn't touch it for more than a couple seconds. I ended up unplugging the Oor and Hypsos and letting them cool down. I plugged them back in and they seem to be working fine again (slightly warm). Has anyone else had something similar? I've reached out to support but now I'm a little sketched out about leaving them plugged in for any length of time without being here. I know I probably should have put it in standby mode, but I'd still be worried about forgetting to do that.

May 10, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #3,605 of 3,858
One man’s too hot to touch is another man’s just hot. I’d leave it on again just to monitor over several hours when it’s convenient for you. I haven’t read any similar situations so it’s tough to gauge risk.

May 21, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #3,606 of 3,858
how does that sound?
Thanks
Yes, I have the Khozmo preamp as well as the Hattor (sister company) tube stage, both a perfect compliment to the OOR.

May 21, 2023 at 9:54 PM Post #3,607 of 3,858
how does that sound?
Thanks
I also use the Khozmo pre. I went with the "without input selector" one since I am using it only with FS and Yggy. I went with the 64 steps LADDER - AMRG pot since that is the one Arek (the owner) recommended. If I am going to be stupid and order such a device, I might as well be super stupid and get the best attenuator. Super build and Arek is great to work with. Send him an email from his website. https://khozmo.com/product/rca-xlr-without-input-selector/

The build and attenuator are amazing. Super clean and does nothing to the sound. Allows FS to be FS in bypass mode with an excellent attenuator.

Last edited:
May 21, 2023 at 9:59 PM Post #3,608 of 3,858
And here is how it looks going for the “a lot of audio stuff on the nightstand” look.

“32” is high for volume since I am listening to Susvara at the moment.

And my 5 year knows not to touch audio stuff but the nightstand lamp is not off limits.

IMG_1946.jpeg

Last edited:
May 22, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #3,609 of 3,858
And here is how it looks going for the “a lot of audio stuff on the nightstand” look.

“32” is high for volume since I am listening to Susvara at the moment.

And my 5 year knows not to touch audio stuff but the nightstand lamp is not off limits.

IMG_1946.jpeg
Excellent setup!

May 26, 2023 at 4:02 AM Post #3,610 of 3,858
Received the Oor yesterday and started testing it. I immediately noticed that there is in my mind a small but noticeable channel imbalance until around 10 on the volume pot. Anyone else have same? I would need to use low gain sometimes to get centered sound or cut volume on source.

Edit: well more testing and Im now not sure how big the imbalance is. Sometimes I can hear it but then I tried test tones and it's quite small at times. It might be just really small or in my head. There is very apparent imbalance the first 5% of the pot but after that it's much more difficult to say if there is.

Last edited:
May 26, 2023 at 4:15 AM Post #3,611 of 3,858
Hi there
I have the OOR+Hypsos since one week now and I am blown away by the combo, definitely a huge step up from my Burson Soloist 3xp.
I am using the OOR with Focal Clear and Meze Liric, so I was expecting the volume pot to stay in the first 30/40%. However, I am very often beyond that level. The OOR is fed by a Matrix Element X via XLR and the headphones are connected to the SE output. Gain is set to 0.

What is tour experience with that?

May 26, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #3,612 of 3,858
Received the Oor yesterday and started testing it. I immediately noticed that there is in my mind a small but noticeable channel imbalance until around 10 on the volume pot. Anyone else have same? I would need to use low gain sometimes to get centered sound or cut volume on source.

There's always a bit of channel imbalance at low pot settings but it should be below 9 i think.. are you able to measure it with a volt meter maybe or something similar??
If you have a good dac then power amp mode will eliminate this problem but if there's a measurable imbalance at 10 o'clock i think you should contact Ferrum

May 26, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #3,613 of 3,858
There's always a bit of channel imbalance at low pot settings but it should be below 9 i think.. are you able to measure it with a volt meter maybe or something similar??
If you have a good dac then power amp mode will eliminate this problem but if there's a measurable imbalance at 10 o'clock i think you should contact Ferrum

Yeah, I think I have to at least ask and maybe have it checked. The amp sounds great though (pairs well with my headphones, especially the HE1000v2) so too bad if it has to go to repairs for weeks.

May 26, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #3,614 of 3,858
Yes, I have the Khozmo preamp as well as the Hattor (sister company) tube stage, both a perfect compliment to the OOR.
How does using a "dead silent/no added colour" pre like this one benefit performance? So that you can use OOR in bypass?
Tube pre to add seasoning OK can imagine that but nothing? Theoretically speaking since no chance to test!
thanks

May 26, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #3,615 of 3,858
How does using a "dead silent/no added colour" pre like this one benefit performance? So that you can use OOR in bypass?
Tube pre to add seasoning OK can imagine that but nothing? Theoretically speaking since no chance to test!
thanks
one of the benefits of using active pre is to keep output impendence of preamp in check and also the active tube buffer does make sound bigger, bolder and adds to the soundstage. If I get same sound out of tube buffer as without it then I would be disappointed.
I am not talking about the Hattor but active pre in general with tube buffer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back