Ferrum OOR - headphone amplifier with a soul ?
May 26, 2024 at 8:22 AM Post #3,857 of 3,860
Anyone tried Oor with Charybdis?

Jun 16, 2024 at 2:51 AM Post #3,859 of 3,860
So I was listening to the Ferrum stack last night and had my Empire Ears EVO plugged into the balanced XLR port using an adapter. I noticed that if I changed the volume quickly while nothing was playing I heard a static type noise that was there only while the volume knob was moving but disappeared as soon as I stopped. This obviously was way more evident at the high gain setting. I then tried my ZMF Atrium using the single ended input and noticed the same thing. There was also slight noise floor with the EVO that I don't have with my Topping A90 either. I guess not as black. Either way I want to know if anyone else hears this static noise while changing the volume. I would appreciate any help. Thanks guys!
Hi bneiderman, I happen to encounter the exact same issue. I would be happy to know how things progressed for you. Did the problem disappear, did you learn to live with it, or did you finally return the unit on guarantee ?

Jun 16, 2024 at 4:56 AM Post #3,860 of 3,860
Hello guys. I see this problem of bneiderman. And when i see internal photo of orr, there is used volume regulator from Alps. I think this is Blue velvet. In DIY audio considered like good quality volume regulator. And this is 4-way unit. Because of symetrical circuit. But my experiance are, this is nothing special. During time come problems and exactly like you wrote here. Noisy during regulation, later totaly no sound in some areas of regulation. But this is normal. Case of unit are open and dust going inside of this regulator (Potenciometer) too.

Best will be open unit and exchange this Alps for new (Need someone with skill). Other will be open it and use this spray. Tray to get it inside this Alps. Best from front side around potentiometer axis. But this is only temporary solution. Problems will come again.

Bez názvu spray.jpg

This Alps alocation are here:
oor_2.jpg

But if still in guarantee, send it back of course. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back