Ferrum OOR - headphone amplifier with a soul ?
Mar 3, 2022 at 11:59 PM Post #1,036 of 3,856
Yes, unfortunately you probably read on this forum or others that having the right cables / DAC / amp will make the susvara bass hit hard. It won't, under any circumstance. That's just not what it's designed for. You can get certain aspects of the bass elevated by installing different pads, or doing the port mod. But it only works to varying degrees. Save your money, don't spend $$$$$ to get the susvara to be the headphone it can't be. Get an LCD, Utopia, or 1266. Try before you buy when you can!
The only statement I agree with here is to try before you buy when you can. Thankfully I’ve tried them all, and with a multitude of set ups, to be secure with my own disagreement.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2022 at 12:41 AM Post #1,037 of 3,856
Yes, unfortunately you probably read on this forum or others that having the right cables / DAC / amp will make the susvara bass hit hard. It won't, under any circumstance. That's just not what it's designed for. You can get certain aspects of the bass elevated by installing different pads, or doing the port mod. But it only works to varying degrees. Save your money, don't spend $$$$$ to get the susvara to be the headphone it can't be. Get an LCD, Utopia, or 1266. Try before you buy when you can!
I see that you own the Susvara and a myriad of Audezes, the lack of bass on the Susvaras must be that much more prominent when compared to something like LCD4.

Mar 4, 2022 at 12:43 AM Post #1,038 of 3,856
I see that you own the Susvara and a myriad of Audezes, the lack of bass on the Susvaras must be that much more prominent when compared to something like LCD4.
LCD4 has a bass peak that's why it comes off more bassy than the Susvara. It's a fatiguing punch that should be EQ'd out. Even with stock cable, Susvara has a much better bass quality than an LCD4 with upgrade cables.

Mar 4, 2022 at 5:31 AM Post #1,039 of 3,856
huh?...susvara bass is better than utopia...not even close
Better meaning tighter yes. Faster for sure. More detailed even.

So yes, I could see the argument for better. 🙂

But I was thinking that the Utopia punches harder; as does the TC.

That’s probably due to the drivers on the Utopia, more than any bass shelf.

Even Focal speakers have awesome macrodynamics.

It’s a thing I appreciate about Focal.

Mar 4, 2022 at 8:32 AM Post #1,040 of 3,856
Once again, I don't think the Susvara lacks bass. It's just softer than Audeze / Focal / Abyss. Drums don't sound as real and impactful, and it is by a wide margin. Even with EQ. That is my one and only argument.

Mar 4, 2022 at 8:36 AM Post #1,041 of 3,856
TOTL HPs shouldn't have 'punch'/'impact' if it's not in the track. Those are congestions, bass peaks and distortion. Too many reviewers make it out like punch is a good quality. But it's not. Punch on the Utopia and Abyss is distortion. If one likes it, then that's a subjective issue but never should be a 'quality' of an HP to be praised about.

Mar 4, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #1,042 of 3,856
Well, it was Ferrum itself who designed the setup, so that's sort of on them. Perhaps they did set it up incorrectly, or perhaps the dac was holding it back (though it was a Ferrum Dac, I believe). Either way, it sounded very unimpressive to me compared to the other stuff I've heard at its price-point (Pendant OG, ECP 3F, various Elekit amps). It did do some things like clarity and timbre right, but the dynamics were extremely unimpressive, as was the general ability to actually resolve musical information.

Not the first mention that OOR is said to be lacking in dynamics. That Michael de Lazzer review mentioned the same thing too.

Mar 4, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #1,043 of 3,856
Man I was close to buying the OOR Hypsos stack but now on the fence. Wish there were more comparisons against the iDSD Pro Signature aside from the one shared earlier.

No one here has heard the Wells Audio Dragon L2 & Ferrum to compare as well? I’m aware the former is a tube hybrid but am looking to supplement it with a musical solid state that can better drive susvara down the line.

Mar 4, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #1,044 of 3,856
Not the first mention that OOR is said to be lacking in dynamics. That Michael de Lazzer review mentioned the same thing too.
Didn't he walk back on that claim?

Mar 4, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #1,045 of 3,856
Last edited:
Mar 4, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #1,046 of 3,856
Man I was close to buying the OOR Hypsos stack but now on the fence. Wish there were more comparisons against the iDSD Pro Signature aside from the one shared earlier.

No one here has heard the Wells Audio Dragon L2 & Ferrum to compare as well? I’m aware the former is a tube hybrid but am looking to supplement it with a musical solid state that can better drive susvara down the line.
I guess best is to get from dealer with good return policy and check out yourself at comfort of home.

Mar 4, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #1,047 of 3,856

i previously had the ican pro signature and am now awaiting the oor/hypsos. also tried the soloist GT. all with susvara. will post a comparison after i get some hours on the ferrum stack.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #1,048 of 3,856
TOTL HPs shouldn't have 'punch'/'impact' if it's not in the track. Those are congestions, bass peaks and distortion. Too many reviewers make it out like punch is a good quality. But it's not. Punch on the Utopia and Abyss is distortion. If one likes it, then that's a subjective issue but never should be a 'quality' of an HP to be praised about.
That's not the problem. It's the opposite. For certain music, when it does require impact, Susvara does not deliver enough of it relative to 1266TC and Utopia. That's the point.

Mar 4, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #1,049 of 3,856

I have had both of the amps you mentioned and listened through Roon to Ultrarendu to Spring 3 KTE to both amps using most of the TOTL headphones. They are both great at their price points, the Ferrum Stack has better dynamics due to the Quieter quiet parts of music and then a sense of a wider sound stage due to the same. Dollar to Dollar I prefer the Oor/Hypsos over the iCan Pro Sig in this regards:
Ferrum Stack with a Tube Pre like the WA22 I prefer the Ferrum 2 to 1 over the iFi, without a tube pre I would say it is a 1.3 to 1 preference. I like Tubes and the iFi Signature offers the ability to change back and forth from SS to Tube Buffer and it works great with some headphones like the Utopia to be able to do that on that unit for much less money than the Ferrum Stack and a WA22 Tube Pre.

Can't go wrong with either but you get more in dynamics and soundstage size from the Ferrum Stack....... Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #1,050 of 3,856
I know I will regret replying to you............but sowhatwtf it is a friday. Drummers don't all KICK the KICK drum with the same force, Drummers don't all hit their top hats with the same force. There is not a standard recording level/output level for recording engineers on drums........Punch/Impact being represented isn't linear from track to track just as it isn't linear from headphone to headphone. Some headphones have better low reach or dynamics that can better represent Punch/Impact.....you are one of 2 or 3 folks in all of these threads that continues with this distortion/power supply soap box and it is again pedantic.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back