Ferrum OOR - headphone amplifier with a soul ?
Mar 4, 2022 at 11:34 PM Post #1,066 of 3,860
You are right here. What I'm saying is the poor interpretation of reviewers in thinking this and then thinking the utopia is reproducing that correctly is quite wrong.

You are right here but this is a discussion on TOTL. That's like saying "oh the night mode on the phone just makes people's skin look better so people should use it on a display that 100% compliant to dci-p3. Oh dci-p3 is just too cold. It's all subjective u know."
Distortion is and always has been a part of music. In a live venue of any kind you get it in spades. The only genre with minimal distortion is classical, and in this case I would agree with you. For any other music genre distortion is the name of the game. Musicians and producers add distortion on all levels from the instruments, to processing, mixing and even mastering, because it fits their vision. Listeners often choose to add distortion because they like it. Wet sound, EQ, all sorts of other enhacers are all based around a form of distortion. You can be of opinion it's bad for you personally, and that's fine if you want your chain ultra clean and listen exclusively to music that doesn't have it baked in. But people have tastes and I think you'll find most people really like their distortion in one way or the other. Going to a live venue is pretty much all distortion. Again, is it wrong? No. Is elevation in FR distortion? Depends how you look at it, I would say tuning choice is not distortion. Anyway, very wide topic and a range of opinions but it's taste, not a is better than b. That's the beauty of building audio systems, each and every one will be different bc we all hear different and have different taste. No black and white here.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2022 at 11:53 PM Post #1,067 of 3,860
Distortion is and always has been a part of music. In a live venue of any kind you get it in spades. The only genre with minimal distortion is classical, and in this case I would agree with you. For any other music genre distortion is the name of the game. Musicians and producers add distortion on all levels from the instruments, to processing, mixing and even mastering, because it fits their vision. Listeners often choose to add distortion because they like it. Wet sound, EQ, all sorts of other enhacers are all based around a form of distortion. You can be of opinion it's bad for you personally, and that's fine if you want your chain ultra clean and listen exclusively to music that doesn't have it baked in. But people have tastes and I think you'll find most people really like their distortion in one way or the other. Going to a live venue is pretty much all distortion. Again, is it wrong? No. Is elevation in FR distortion? Depends how you look at it, I would say tuning choice is not distortion. Anyway, very wide topic and a range of opinions but it's taste, not a is better than b. That's the beauty of building audio systems, each and every one will be different bc we all hear different and have different taste. No black and white here.
You are purposely mixing two things. They can throw all the distortion they want into the recording for all I care and i say go for it. But how would that put merit in adding more distortion in the playback system?

That's like saying watching Minority Report on an OLED display is fine but who cares coz they did a pushed bleach bypass process on it. They purposely added grain on it so just as well, I can add a grain filter effect on top coz for my subjective needs, it looks better and I'll share this technique to the forums and I'm not wrong. Since the image is already distorted and grainy, I'm gonna tune that with my grain filter and share that preset to people on the TOTL OLED display forum.

Mar 5, 2022 at 12:11 AM Post #1,068 of 3,860
You are purposely mixing two things. They can throw all the distortion they want into the recording for all I care and i say go for it. But how would that put merit in adding more distortion in the playback system?

That's like saying watching Minority Report on an OLED display is fine but who cares coz they did a pushed bleach bypass process on it. They purposely added grain on it so just as well, I can add a grain filter effect on top coz for my subjective needs, it looks better and I'll share this technique to the forums and I'm not wrong. Since the image is already distorted and grainy, I'm gonna tune that with my grain filter and share that preset to people on the TOTL OLED display forum.
I'm mixing them because they are mixed. You like your systems squeaky clean, good for you. No tube lover will ever agree. This is not a purist forum otherwise word tube would be banned 😂🙈

Mar 5, 2022 at 2:33 AM Post #1,070 of 3,860
'requires' impact is subjective. And that means the preference for 1266tc/utopia/lcd4 is a subjective preference to bass peak (lcd4) and distortion (utopia/1266tc). With a poor signal chain, you WILL need the distortion of both to get the punch and impact your hungry for because of poor signal chain. Same reason why the same ppl are hyping Susvara with speaker amps because they have little clue on getting a low noise floor and saying susvara lacks bass.

Distortion likes distortion. That's why the false impression that utopia and TC punches harder. It doesn't punch harder, it just distorts harder.
I don't have any false impressions. Utopia and TC slam harder than Susvara and for certain music, it sounds better to me.

Mar 5, 2022 at 2:55 AM Post #1,072 of 3,860
Yes it slams harder....that's the bass peak distortion. Which means it's extra peaky and extra 'textured' than what the track really is trying to present.
No one knows what the track is trying to present. It's an old and invalid argument blown to bits in various discourses. If you had any idea how studio work works you would never think that. Each respectable engineer has at least 3 if not 5 monitoring setups ranging from bass boosted blootooth speakers and beats headphones to high class monitors as well as mono kitchen radio quality speakers. The resulting mix has to work on most. Most people still check mixes in cars. And then you get a second phase of that in the mastering house. How is anyone to say how the mix should sound 😂 you build a system to make it sound good for your ears. Period.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2022 at 2:58 AM Post #1,073 of 3,860
Yes it slams harder....that's the bass peak distortion. Which means it's extra peaky and extra 'textured' than what the track really is trying to present.
Also most engineers don't mix with reference grade, clear, pure, zero distortion, flat FR systems in mind, bc no one owns them (apart from some of us, freaks). 🤪 that is precisely why you need a bass shelf for pedestrian club music and flat FR sets like Susvara ... which I listen to a lot tbh 🤠

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2022 at 3:01 AM Post #1,074 of 3,860
I know I will regret replying to you............but sowhatwtf it is a friday. Drummers don't all KICK the KICK drum with the same force, Drummers don't all hit their top hats with the same force. There is not a standard recording level/output level for recording engineers on drums........Punch/Impact being represented isn't linear from track to track just as it isn't linear from headphone to headphone. Some headphones have better low reach or dynamics that can better represent Punch/Impact.....you are one of 2 or 3 folks in all of these threads that continues with this distortion/power supply soap box and it is again pedantic.
Lol.
I don't have any false impressions. Utopia and TC slam harder than Susvara and for certain music, it sounds better to me.
+1

Mar 5, 2022 at 3:03 AM Post #1,075 of 3,860
Also texture is technically micro dynamics / contrast, nothing to do with slam and macro dynamics.

Mar 5, 2022 at 3:23 AM Post #1,076 of 3,860
No one knows what the track is trying to present. It's an old and invalid argument blown to bits in various discourses. If you had any idea how studio work works you would never think that. Each respectable engineer has at least 3 if not 5 monitoring setups ranging from bass boosted blootooth speakers and beats headphones to high class monitors as well as mono kitchen radio quality speakers. The resulting mix has to work on most. Most people still check mixes in cars. And then you get a second phase of that in the mastering house. How is anyone to say how the mix should sound 😂 you build a system to make it sound good for your ears. Period.
There you go. The whole goal in mixing and mastering is balance. No emphasis on bass ( or any other part). The fact that reviewers picks on the emphasis of the punch on some headphones exactly shows the peak that the chain is making. Ofc you corroborate this with incremental changes in the chain and even take into account the measurements made by ASR and you end up seeing that it's distortion. Trained ears would pick that up, others call it subjective preference or that some headphones punches harder than susvara.

Glad you agree.

Mar 5, 2022 at 4:01 AM Post #1,077 of 3,860
u guys have more strength than me. am surprised he is still being entertained.. I clicked Ignore a long time back.

Mar 5, 2022 at 8:27 AM Post #1,080 of 3,860
Had the chance to try the Ferrum Oor with Hypsos today. I tried the stack with abyss 1266 using Stock cable.I also tried the Ferrum For only with Hypsos. I just want to let people know that the Ferrum stack needs to work as a stack as to get its best sound quality. With the Hypsos, bass was deeper and sound stage improved. I had it on high gain and volume at about 11 to 12 o'clock when using with stack.

After that I took my Abyss 1266 and tried the Violectric V550 (however at another shop as no shop in Hk have both). With the Violectric V550, the gain was like set to zero and volume needed to be about 1 o'clock as to drive the abyss to a decent volume. I would say the Ferrum stack or Violectric V550 does the job in driving the abyss to get that soundstage and the bass. I asked the person to change the gain a higher level (I think 18 - might be not correct, he said there is still another level). Anyway with that gain the level was about 9 to 10 o'clock.

Having a difficult time on deciding which one to go for. If Ferrum then it needs to be stack as to get the best sound (I did think about buying the Oor only, however cannot now as just tried it). I would say they both on Par (stack or v550) and I think there is still more potential from the V550 volume as I was was only at 10 on the volume dial.

Price is another factor, Ferrum stack is like 3190 USD and the V550 is like 2300USD.

Both machine look nice and compact. I will also get a Dac too, the denafrips ares2

Currently have the Singer Sa1 and not a match for the abyss at all. So looking for an Amp that could cover me for a few years.

Any recommendations as will be using it to drive abyss and maybe other headphones down the road like Utopia or Abyss. Thanks and stay safe

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back