Ferrari of IEM's?
Dec 27, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #16 of 38
I suggest you wait on the Aurisonics ASG-2.

It combines A huge dynamic driver with 2 balanced armatures, and it fits like a custom iem. It will cost $499, and will go on sale after January 27th.

It's basically the universal fit version of this: http://www.aurisonics.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=23&products_id=138

Dec 27, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #17 of 38
When you get in the $400 to $600 range its more about what sound signature you like because pretty much all IEM's in that price range all sound really good.  Me I like a more warm mid-centric sound so the SM3 is the perfect IEM for me but if you want a brighter sound then something like the PFE 232 would be good and for a more balanced sound the ER-4S is a good choice.  So what ever sound signature you like get something with those properties.

Dec 27, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #18 of 38
Quote:
I suggest you wait on the Aurisonics ASG-2.

It combines A huge dynamic driver with 2 balanced armatures, and it fits like a custom iem. It will cost $499, and will go on sale after January 27th.

It's basically the universal fit version of this: http://www.aurisonics.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=23&products_id=138

Another hybrid design (geez these are popular nowadays) around the OPs price would be the 1Plus2. Saw them once in RL before. Beautiful housing, cable (not sure if stock or not) was supple and gorgeous, probably one of the best cables I've seen. Stuck them in for a few minutes, couldn't get a perfect seal for the longest time, but the sound was really, really impressive when I did. Lush, organic. 

Dec 27, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #19 of 38
Quote:

Another hybrid design (geez these are popular nowadays) around the OPs price would be the 1Plus2. Saw them once in RL before. Beautiful housing, cable (not sure if stock or not) was supple and gorgeous, probably one of the best cables I've seen. Stuck them in for a few minutes, couldn't get a perfect seal for the longest time, but the sound was really, really impressive when I did. Lush, organic. 

i was interested in them too until i saw the $1300 price tag
they have been getting good reviews though if you can afford them

edit: but if you want to look into the newer iems, i recommend the jvc, aurisonics, and heir

Dec 27, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #20 of 38
Quote:
i was interested in them too until i saw the $1300 price tag
they have been getting good reviews though if you can afford them

edit: but if you want to look into the newer iems, i recommend the jvc, aurisonics, and heir

Ouch, though they were less pricey then that for some reason. Website doesn't show the price at all right now.

Dec 27, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #21 of 38
Quote:

Ouch, though they were less pricey then that for some reason. Website doesn't show the price at all right now.

I have to say, the more I listen to the FXZ-200s the more I'm impressed with them.  If you want solid, good quality visceral bass this is the best I've heard in an IEM.  Fark, they're the best IEMs I've heard, period.  I paid $260 shipped using Amazon.jp -> Tenso.

Currawong - who has heard and owned some of the best gear available - put them as best in show:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634308/fujiyaavic-2012-autumn-headphone-festival-in-tokyo-report-by-currawong

Another brand with unique take on IEMs. They have two new Live Beat models coming, the HA-FXZ100 and FXZ200. They feature a special separate tweeter and woofer in aluminium enclosures inside the IEM. While the bass was strong on the 200 and the treble too recessed for me, I was impressed at how natural and spacious the sound was compared to most IEMs (including the Stax portable!) and how natural even percussion sounded. The overall sound was rather like a pair of their full-sized DX1000s inside an IEM. The other guys tried the 100s and reckoned the frequency response was better, so I will definitely have to give them a go once they are released. Still, their ability to overcome the main issues I've had with other IEMs, even vastly more expensive ones, impressed me very strongly, enough that it affected my perception of other products for the rest of the show, with even top-of-the-line amps and other equipment not impressing me as much. For that, I've given it my Best of Show award.

Dec 27, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #22 of 38
So I was able to find a place out in LA that carries the top of the line Shure SE535LTD Westone 4 and even akg K3003i. i was able to test all of them and honestly, my UE 900'S were better in my opinion (and even the woman's who worked there). They just began selling the new UE line of headphones with the exception of the 900's.

I think having four drivers for me personally makes it sound less, condensed. For example, the SHURE's have plenty of power in my opinion and get very loud and maintain clarity, but the bass is being pumped from the same driver (at least, this is how it sounds) as other sounds - where as in the UE headphones it sounds separated, or less stressed.

The other thing the UE is very good with is noise isolation. I can't hear **** going on in the background with them on (provided, their on right and proper headpiece is on) where as with the Shure's its only able to muffle outside noise because it can get very very loud.

I decided to buy he SE535LTD's because they were the best sounding in a realistic price range (i would never buy the AKG although they were easily the best sounding, though not better in my opinion than the UE's) and will continue testing for a few days. So far though, the UE's win in my opinion without a doubt and I've yet to hear anyone else disagree who I let compare.

Please keep your reccomendations coming because I will probably order some headphones from the internet soon. I've noticed I enjoy headphones that are not tinny (SE's are very very very tinny in their sound) and that are powerful on the bass end, but that the bass is separated from other noises if that makes sense.

Dec 27, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #24 of 38
Quote:
So I was able to find a place out in LA that carries the top of the line Shure SE535LTD Westone 4 and even akg K3003i. i was able to test all of them and honestly, my UE 900'S were better in my opinion (and even the woman's who worked there). They just began selling the new UE line of headphones with the exception of the 900's.

I think having four drivers for me personally makes it sound less, condensed. For example, the SHURE's have plenty of power in my opinion and get very loud and maintain clarity, but the bass is being pumped from the same driver (at least, this is how it sounds) as other sounds - where as in the UE headphones it sounds separated, or less stressed.

The other thing the UE is very good with is noise isolation. I can't hear **** going on in the background with them on (provided, their on right and proper headpiece is on) where as with the Shure's its only able to muffle outside noise because it can get very very loud.

I decided to buy he SE535LTD's because they were the best sounding in a realistic price range (i would never buy the AKG although they were easily the best sounding, though not better in my opinion than the UE's) and will continue testing for a few days. So far though, the UE's win in my opinion without a doubt and I've yet to hear anyone else disagree who I let compare.

Please keep your reccomendations coming because I will probably order some headphones from the internet soon. I've noticed I enjoy headphones that are not tinny (SE's are very very very tinny in their sound) and that are powerful on the bass end, but that the bass is separated from other noises if that makes sense.

I think you'd like the SM3 V2 more than the UE900 because if you want separation and soundstage the SM3 is the best I've heard plus the mids are fantastic.  I'm doing a loan so I'll be able to compare the UE900 but I don't see them being better than the 3 driver SM3.  I already know they're better than the SE535 because I've heard those and the SM3 is a better mid-centric IEM with better imaging and a better soundstage.  I hope you didn't pay $450 for the Shure's, imo they're over priced but at around $300 its a good deal.

Jan 2, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #27 of 38
If you don't want to spend much look into the Vsonic GR07 and the JVC Ha-FXZ100/200... Both costing you less than ~$300 and both sounding awesome. Like what people said, the ~$400-$600 comes down to sound signature so might as well go for bang per buck and save yourself the $$$

Jan 6, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #29 of 38
I'm quite interested in the 100s by JVC...not sure if I can find them in country, but they are getting a lot of love.

Jan 6, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #30 of 38
Quote:
If you don't want to spend much look into the Vsonic GR07 and the JVC Ha-FXZ100/200... Both costing you less than ~$300 and both sounding awesome. Like what people said, the ~$400-$600 comes down to sound signature so might as well go for bang per buck and save yourself the $$$

I have both a GR07 MkII and an FXZ-200.  I've had about 200-300 hours of head time with the GR07 and maybe 100 now with the FXZ.  To my ears the FXZ is well above the GR07 overall, though decidedly less neutral and of course more expensive.  If either of these is a concern then the FXZ-100 should be the choice, no question.  But based on what the OP said the 200 should be the one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back