Fender IEM (Aurisonics) Impressions, Reviews & Discussions Thread
Aug 2, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #3,528 of 6,413
He is ruthless but I can't say he is not very informative. I love his stuff and that frequency response does looks quite scary. However although I do take graphs seriously they are not the last day in sound quality.

Aug 2, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #3,529 of 6,413
Quote:
He is ruthless but I can't say he is not very informative. I love his stuff and that frequency response does looks quite scary. However although I do take graphs seriously they are not the last day in sound quality.

Personally I dont find my ASG-2 to be anything like that....in fact I would say they are one of the best IEM's I have heard and owned. 9 times out of 10 I would reach for the ASG-2 over anything else.

Aug 2, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #3,530 of 6,413
Personally I dont find my ASG-2 to be anything like that....in fact I would say they are one of the best IEM's I have heard and owned. 9 times out of 10 I would reach for the ASG-2 over anything else.

+1

Aug 2, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #3,531 of 6,413

His graphs can be informative. His analysis if said data and graphs... That's a different story.

Aug 2, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #3,533 of 6,413
Aug 2, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #3,534 of 6,413
Quote:
His graphs can be informative. His analysis if said data and graphs... That's a different story.

I honestly can't believe those assertions  of the ASG-2. They just don't match up with what I'm hearing, and technicalities aside, they're certainly not broken radio sounding. I haven't heard the flat-4s, or the tg334s but the ASG-2 are technically beyond the TF10, ASG-1, xba-3, Shure E5C, and pretty much everything i've got at the moment.

They're definitely rough around the edges, but i wouldn't be surprised if Dale doesn't smooth them out a bunch. Some would argue that they're unfinished, but i'm happy with them and happy with submitting them for revision upgrades.

Aug 2, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #3,536 of 6,413
Quote:

I honestly can't believe those assertions  of the ASG-2. They just don't match up with what I'm hearing, and technicalities aside, they're certainly not broken radio sounding. I haven't heard the flat-4s, or the tg334s but the ASG-2 are technically beyond the TF10, ASG-1, xba-3, Shure E5C, and pretty much everything i've got at the moment.

They're definitely rough around the edges, but i wouldn't be surprised if Dale doesn't smooth them out a bunch. Some would argue that they're unfinished, but i'm happy with them and happy with submitting them for revision upgrades.

His comments, from what I've read into, are restricted to referring to the measurements, so if he says they are like a "telephone receiver," then he is not likely saying he thinks they sound like one to his ears, but that they measure like one lol. It's a small but distinct difference that causes a lot of animosity over here when sight of it is lost. It's really not worth getting upset about.

The problem right now is that most, but not all, users disclaim at least some portion of the measurements which brings into question either the measuring process for this specific set, or the set itself.

I posted this in the SD3 thread, but I think it's worth reposting:

Quote:
We really don't know where, if any, fault lies and no one is really saying anything, so maybe its premature to place blame on anyone/anywhere. We don't really know what's going on.

On the happier side is something you brought up. I think upgradeable designs are the future for smaller manufacturers in this industry and Aurisonics is way ahead of everyone else there.

Aug 5, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #3,537 of 6,413
On the happier side is something you brought up. I think upgradeable designs are the future for smaller manufacturers in this industry and Aurisonics is way ahead of everyone else there.

[size=10pt]All I can say is we try really hard to put out a quality product, built by hand, made in the USA.  The ASG-2 is not perfect and to some may be rough around the edges but we sure sell a lot of them to the musician community who use them to make a living with and love them. We designed them for our core musician customers. The tuning works fantastic on stage as it is.[/size]

[size=10pt]However, I have been watching and listening to what people are saying and emails we get regarding different things about our products and I am pretty sure we can do an upgrade that will make sense to those who want it. So here is a list of things to chew over so we can work on them.[/size]

[size=10pt]1. Tune mid bass down 250-400Hz[/size]

[size=10pt]2. Increase sub bass capability with the tunable bass port <80Hz[/size]

[size=10pt]3. Soften the highs slightly around 10k[/size]

[size=10pt]Does this sound about right?[/size]

[size=10pt]Remember the ASG-1 went through a few revs and so will the ASG-2. But since they are upgradeable we will make sure we take care of our Aurisonics family.[/size]

[size=10pt]BTW: I'll be in Hong Kong later this week if anyone wants to meet me and ask questions in person. Check out our facebook page for details.[/size]

Aug 5, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #3,538 of 6,413
Quote:
Thank you. I sent a email to them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Andy or Zach should be getting with you on Monday

Aug 5, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #3,539 of 6,413
Hey Dale! Love the fact that you're looking to make the ASG-2 even better!! Personally, I'm definitely interesting in #1 & #2 above, but I don't think #3 is really necessary, as I think you've struck a nearly ideal balance on the treble between extension and presence without becoming fatiguing. Others may disagree, but them's my thoughts :wink:

On a side note, just want to say that I've listened to my ASG-2 every single day since I've received them, and that they're absolutely fantastic IEMs. Thanks to you and your team for making them available to us!!

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #3,540 of 6,413
Quote:
[size=10pt]All I can say is we try really hard to put out a quality product, built by hand, made in the USA.  The ASG-2 is not perfect and to some may be rough around the edges but we sure sell a lot of them to the musician community who use them to make a living with and love them. We designed them for our core musician customers. The tuning works fantastic on stage as it is.[/size]

[size=10pt]However, I have been watching and listening to what people are saying and emails we get regarding different things about our products and I am pretty sure we can do an upgrade that will make sense to those who want it. So here is a list of things to chew over so we can work on them.[/size]

[size=10pt]1. Tune mid bass down 250-400Hz[/size]

[size=10pt]2. Increase sub bass capability with the tunable bass port <80Hz[/size]

[size=10pt]3. Soften the highs slightly around 10k[/size]

[size=10pt]Does this sound about right?[/size]

[size=10pt]Remember the ASG-1 went through a few revs and so will the ASG-2. But since they are upgradeable we will make sure we take care of our Aurisonics family.[/size]

[size=10pt]BTW: I'll be in Hong Kong later this week if anyone wants to meet me and ask questions in person. Check out our facebook page for details.[/size]

This sounds incredible. In my stage use of the AS-2 I've generally opened the bass port a large amount to enhance the sub-bass and then EQd the mid-bass down (I like extra rumble for my kick, and came from Atrios). The balance of sub-bass to mid-bass is, to my ears, the only thing I would change about the AS(G)-2 signature for both stage use and daily listening. The highs have never bothered me on the AS-2, but I had to try a few different kind of tips to keep them from being slightly too hot on the ASG-2. I would guess this is related to ear canal structure as some people seem to have no problem with it. Also, my ears were definitely adjusted to the ASG-1 prior so I may just need to accommodate to the ASG-2 highs. For some music they're perfectly clear and extended without being fatiguing, but for some recordings they're just slightly edgy - this probably has to do more with the recording than anything else.

If you changed nothing about the AS(G)-2 they would still be my first choice for IEMs in any context, as their quality, affordability, and upgradeability combined are unmatched, and my ears love the Aurisonics house sound. I think that pushing the bass tuning more towards sub-bass extension from mid-bass impact would just be turning them up to 11 ;] Your responsiveness and concern for both markets was a major reason I finally made the dive into customs for monitors, and you guys just keep on rocking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back