Fender IEM (Aurisonics) Impressions, Reviews & Discussions Thread
May 16, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #3,346 of 6,413
Quote:
[size=10pt]I only know of two people thus far with a paint issue on the Stealth out of hundreds so far. Jpmilner and kenman345 were both early adopters of that finish. Jpmilner uses them every day for long periods of time. We have not got them back yet to even know what came off and why and kenman345 had a one of the first sets that was experimental in nature. He has the latest finish now and I don't think he has had any issues with it. The frosted clear shells are now coated with a UV protectant which should diminish the effects of yellowing in the sun. I would not ever leave any IEM in the sun anyway.[/size]

Is that what caused them to get that tint of yellow?  I always thought it was oil residue from the skin or even sweat residue :p 

May 16, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #3,347 of 6,413
Quote:
Oh wow, guess I shoulda googled it first. I assumed black rhodium would be black :3

Black Rhodium just looks a bit darker than the normal Rhodium which is very shiny silver like. We are working on a pure black plating currently. EricP has an experimental finish on his AS-2 that is brushed nickel then black chrome plated. This combination makes it look like a gunmetal color but brushed.

May 16, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #3,349 of 6,413
Quote:
[size=10pt]I only know of two people thus far with a paint issue on the Stealth out of hundreds so far. Jpmilner and kenman345 were both early adopters of that finish. Jpmilner uses them every day for long periods of time. We have not got them back yet to even know what came off and why and kenman345 had a one of the first sets that was experimental in nature. He has the latest finish now and I don't think he has had any issues with it. The frosted clear shells are now coated with a UV protectant which should diminish the effects of yellowing in the sun. I would not ever leave any IEM in the sun anyway.[/size]

I am happy to report that while my original finishing did peel, my freshly painted set are showing no signs of what happened previously. I have put a good 60+ hours on them since they were refinished (at least) and I had peeling start to appear well before that with the old finish.

If any peeling or blemishes occur, I will be sure to let Aurisonics and the thread know. I would feel confident saying that any faults that the Stealth finish may have had previously, have all been taken care of. I think this finish will last me a good long time just based off the amount of usage I've given this new paint job. 

May 16, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #3,350 of 6,413
Ah that sounds fantastic! And sorry if I made it sound like the chipping was a huge problem and that many people had it. I just merely brought it up out of concern of the issue at present, ultimately assuming that it was a minor issue. And I would also NEVER leave my IEM in the sun for no reason, I was just saying that I am semi-active (college and outdoor activities), and so it has quite a decent bit of exposure to sunlight. I suppose then, would it void warranty if I would color the face plate myself?

May 16, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #3,351 of 6,413
Quote:

And like I said, it really is such a minor complaint.  These headphones look phenomenal.  I only mentioned it in my review because if anyone does have the same problem, I want them to know that Aurisonics has been really awesome to deal with when problems do arise.  They have been very willing to work around my traveling schedule and have taken care of me every step of the way.  I do around 3-4 hours of critical listening a day as well as a good 2 or more hours of audio editing/recording and lets not forget at least a couple of hours of listening just for fun.  I really put these headphones through their paces on a daily basis and they have not let me down... ever.

May 16, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #3,352 of 6,413
Quote:
Thanks for the preliminary thoughts, gnarlsagan. I wish I could contribute as well (I can compare against the ASG-1.2 and GR07) but I'm still waiting for the contest winner ASG-2s to be shipped out.

[size=10pt]You should have yours very soon now that we are getting everything shipped finally. [/size]

[size=10pt]Been a long hard road to get our production up to speed and parts flowing in like they should but we are getting there. We have a new website and online order tracking/status system coming online in a few weeks as well which will help keep everyone more informed about status of their order with automatic updates as the custom order goes through production and estimated ship date which can update you with changes if parts are delayed or plating gets messed up or shells have an issue and need reprinting etc... [/size]

[size=10pt]We are going to begin scheduling in custom orders as well so we can ensure appropriate build times. Typical scenario for in-ear companies is to get flooded with orders then scramble to catch up then because they are running late, calls and emails come in which takes personnel away from building. We are trying to fix that problem and not be there again.[/size]

[size=10pt]We sincerely appreciate everyone's patience as we have been transitioning through some typical growing pains of a small business. We are working hard to be better at what we do and thank those that have become part of our rapidly growing Aurisonics family.[/size]

May 16, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #3,353 of 6,413
Quote:
Sunlight and probably some of the oils in the skin working together but mostly the sun. The new coating helps with that a lot.

Well, that's good news.  I remember a little bit of yellowing on my ASG-2s (on the interior side).

May 16, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #3,354 of 6,413
Quote:
Black Rhodium just looks a bit darker than the normal Rhodium which is very shiny silver like. We are working on a pure black plating currently. EricP has an experimental finish on his AS-2 that is brushed nickel then black chrome plated. This combination makes it look like a gunmetal color but brushed.

And it looks as beautiful as it sounds. Trying to get a decent camera so that I can add photos with my long review. I hope to have something up over the weekend. Thanks for an excellent job, Dale and the Aurisonics' crew! 
beerchug.gif

May 16, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #3,355 of 6,413
Be still my heart - the black rhodium looks AMAZING.  I love my stealth AS-2's but man - there's just something about the rhodium!  I'll take some pics of my AS-2's once I get them back.  My training is on a break before the next session starts up and I have nothing to listen to, lol.  That's not totally true as I have my 232's but it's just not the same.

Question for Dale:  would the ASG-2 hold up to running with them?  I don't think I'd do it on a regular basis but I was more curious about using them for upcoming races later this year.  I tend to leave them in the entire time or run with one in and one clipped.  Curious about this.  

May 16, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #3,356 of 6,413
Quote:
Be still my heart - the black rhodium looks AMAZING.  I love my stealth AS-2's but man - there's just something about the rhodium!  I'll take some pics of my AS-2's once I get them back.  My training is on a break before the next session starts up and I have nothing to listen to, lol.  That's not totally true as I have my 232's but it's just not the same.

Question for Dale:  would the ASG-2 hold up to running with them?  I don't think I'd do it on a regular basis but I was more curious about using them for upcoming races later this year.  I tend to leave them in the entire time or run with one in and one clipped.  Curious about this.  

This is actually a good question.  They are stage monitors, and some performers tend to sweat quite a bit on stage.  I'd assume yes, but don't quote me on it.  I personally can't run with IEMs. 

May 16, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #3,357 of 6,413
Quote:

As Tinyman pointed out they are deisgned for people that sweat a lot so I would guess yes but we will find out sounds like.

May 16, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #3,358 of 6,413
Quote:

I am an electro plating manager in the UK.

To achieve an easy black finish. Plate your housing with electroless Ni, not electro and submerge in 50% nitric acid for no more than 2-3 seconds - outcome black.
To achieve a distressed look, submerge electroless Ni in 75% Hcl acid for 30-60 seconds.

The problem with just a Ni finish is that some people will have a Ni allergy but just giving ideas.

May 16, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #3,359 of 6,413
Quote:

I am an electro plating manager in the UK.

To achieve an easy black finish. Plate your housing with electroless Ni, not electro and submerge in 50% nitric acid for no more than 2-3 seconds - outcome black.
To achieve a distressed look, submerge electroless Ni in 75% Hcl acid for 30-60 seconds.

The problem with just a Ni finish is that some people will have a Ni allergy but just giving ideas.

Thanks for the info and the plating recipe. Will try that. I guess we could e-coat the plating to ensure no nickel reaction. Like your avatar as well.

May 17, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #3,360 of 6,413

Users who are viewing this thread

Back