Fender IEM (Aurisonics) Impressions, Reviews & Discussions Thread
May 14, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #3,317 of 6,413
The photos that I have taken really aren't that good... that's not my art.  And frankly, I don't have the time to worry about it.

I own a pair of EQ-7s and have listened to or owned in the past a pair of IE8s, Grado GR10, Grado GR8, Shure SE215, and SE315.  Across the board the AS-2 does everything better.  A-Bing between the EQ-7 and the AS-2 was night and day.  The EQ-7 came off as harsh and sibilant on the top with no bass response to speak of.  The detail was mostly on par, but the AS-2 was a smoother more refined sound.

I was able to A-B with a pair of SE215, but that wasn't even remotely fair.  The 215 sounded dead and too brassy; sibilant and uninteresting.

The best comparison that I can make is to full sized cans.  A-Bing versus my Fostex T50RP was interesting.  The Fostex has all of the bass response but lacks the detail that you get with IEMs.  The Fostex has such a smooth sound it's why I enjoy listening to them at home when watching movies or listening to my vinyl collection.  I used to travel with my Fostex, but they suck on planes or anyplace with some noise... and they suck to travel with because they are just too big.  

In general, when I was auditioning mid-tier IEMs, I chose the EQ-7 because I thought that it was the best of the group with the possible exception of the GR10.  The GR10, I felt, was a close cousin to the EQ-7.

May 14, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #3,318 of 6,413
Nice review jpmilner. Thanks for your impressions.

May 15, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #3,320 of 6,413
Upgrade info is on their Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Aurisonics/209300975753348?hc_location=timeline

I talked to Andy the other day, you just mail your phones in with all accessories and your receipt if you have it. Write - "ATTN AURISONICS ASG-1 to ASG-2 Upgrade" on the shipping label or box; and have your contact info inside so they can reach you for billing. Turnaround is a couple of weeks from receipt was what he told me.

May 15, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #3,321 of 6,413
Just received my ASG-2. Initial impressions are that it has a slight treble peak compared to the ER4S that is similar to the DBA-02. The mids are also not as forward as the ER4S. Much more to come. 

May 15, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #3,322 of 6,413
Quote:
Just received my ASG-2. Initial impressions are that it has a slight treble peak compared to the ER4S that is similar to the DBA-02. The mids are also not as forward as the ER4S. Much more to come. 

That's got to be an exaggeration...  A treble peak like the ER4S?  Treble like the DBA-02?  It's not that heavy on treble... 

May 15, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #3,323 of 6,413
Quote:

That's got to be an exaggeration...  A treble peak like the ER4S?  Treble like the DBA-02?  It's not that heavy on treble... 

Well I've been listening to the ER4S for a few months straight and this ASG-2 definitely has more treble emphasis at ~8kHz imo. The ER4S only has one small peak though. I think the ASG-2 treble sits in between the DBA and ER4S quanitity-wise. But I've only listened to two songs. I'll have something more definitive soon.

May 15, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #3,324 of 6,413
Quote:

Well I've been listening to the ER4S for a few months straight and this ASG-2 definitely has more treble emphasis at ~8kHz imo. The ER4S only has one small peak though. I think the ASG-2 treble sits in between the DBA and ER4S quanitity-wise. But I've only listened to two songs. I'll have something more definitive soon.

Where do you have your bass port? Cause that's 100% opposite of what I heard when I auditioned them.  The ASG-1.3 has a spike at the 9k, so I know what you mean by that, the Etys don't have a spike there (they have a nice large resonance spike at the 3k though)... 

May 15, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #3,325 of 6,413
I'm actually pretty interested in your impressions since not many people who have them lean toward the scientific side of impressions so it should be a nice complement to what we have already.

Is there any emphasis in the 9KHz range that people around here seem to hate?

May 15, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #3,326 of 6,413
Quote:

Where do you have your bass port? Cause that's 100% opposite of what I heard when I auditioned them.  The ASG-1.3 has a spike at the 9k, so I know what you mean by that, the Etys don't have a spike there (they have a nice large resonance spike at the 3k though)... 

It's ok. The 1.1 seems to have some nice resonance across most of the midrange
smile.gif

May 15, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #3,327 of 6,413
Yes I'm sure the bass port affects things. Mine is just in between the two lowest notches.

May 15, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #3,328 of 6,413
Quote:
Yes I'm sure the bass port affects things. Mine is just in between the two lowest notches.

Hm...  Yeah, your impressions aren't close to what I heard :p  LOL.  Can't say too much more, you hear what you hear.

May 15, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #3,329 of 6,413
Quote:
It's ok. The 1.1 seems to have some nice resonance across most of the midrange
smile.gif

But it didn't have resonances in the treble...  Which is why I'm questioning this accentuated treble. 

May 15, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #3,330 of 6,413
^^ well, they did add two drivers and I'm sure they changed the tuning of the dynamic slightly to complement the BAs.

Some notes:
1. Either the iPhone (4s) is a worse source than I thought, or the synergy with the ASG-1 is not very good. It seems to showcase all of it's flaws.

2. If anyone has a neutral source with a high output impedence, try it with the ASG-1. It's kind of fun. I know dynamics are said to be generally unaffected by output impedance but the ASG-1 most certainly is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back