Fender IEM (Aurisonics) Impressions, Reviews & Discussions Thread
Apr 5, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #2,941 of 6,413
Quote:
I'll be picking up my AS-2 at the April 20 NY meet where I'll get to meet Dale himself!

Naturally, a review will be forthcoming.

Be prepared to meet a personality that on a scale from 1  to 10 (10 being out of this world) he's a 20!!! Brilliant too. And no, I'm not saying that because I want something (calculating in my mind again how much it cost to ship 20 ASG-2s express mail to the Chi .... Hmmmm? Carry the 6 - pi ... Yes, I'm terrible at math unless the numbers are mixed into my regular paycheck....lol). Happy listening! 
beerchug.gif

Apr 6, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #2,943 of 6,413
ANYBODY can help?

My Asg are blocked by customs( EU), they told me I had to pay, but didnt receive a letter yet. Anybody knows how much it would cost? It's a second hand asg 1.2 and I'm afraid I have to pay a lot....

Apr 6, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #2,944 of 6,413
Quote:
ANYBODY can help?

My Asg are blocked by customs( EU), they told me I had to pay, but didnt receive a letter yet. Anybody knows how much it would cost? It's a second hand asg 1.2 and I'm afraid I have to pay a lot....

Well if it is second hand, it depends what value the seller declare. And if he is smart, he declared very low value and said it was a second hand object, in which case you should not pay much.

Apr 6, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #2,945 of 6,413
Well if it is second hand, it depends what value the seller declare. And if he is smart, he declared very low value and said it was a second hand object, in which case you should not pay much.

I yhink its partly my fault, should have told him that. i opted for international express from canada, couldn't imagine somethint like that could happen! I guess you live and learn.....VERY painfully!
Thanks M. for your thoughts!

Apr 6, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #2,946 of 6,413
Quote:

I sold him the ASG-1.2's.

Declaring at a lower value is something that needs to be negotiated at the time of the sale, it's not very "smart" for a seller to declare at a lower value than paid because the package can only be insured for the amount declared. Even if you buy $200 insurance, if the declared value is $50 that's all insurance will pay if something happens to it and in some cases trying to insure for more than the declared value will only serve to raise a red flag with customs. In my case the Post Office will typically not even allow a package to be declared for less than it's insured for. That said, I'm usually willing to do this if requested but that also means the payment options are going to be limited to Paypal Gift to minimize my risk.

There were no such request from the buyer in this case, when he contacted me I gave him four shipping options, he wanted the most expensive which had a delivery time of 5 business days with tracking, signature and fully insured ($100 is included, more can be bought in $100 blocks) so we worked out a deal to accommodate this option. The next option down was quite a bit cheaper with the only differences being a 6-10 business day delivery time, no signature and only $100 insurance. Based on this I assumed he wanted the package fully insured so I bought an extra $100 insurance to cover what he paid.

Quote:
I yhink its partly my fault, should have told him that. i opted for international express from canada, couldn't imagine somethint like that could happen! I guess you live and learn.....VERY painfully!
Thanks M. for your thoughts!

I fail to see how this could be construed as partly my fault???

Apr 6, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #2,947 of 6,413
Wasn't my intention! :) sorry if you mistook it like that!
I just wanted to caculate the custom fees, was feeling angry about myself, not about seller! I was just overhelmed with bad news all iver the week, so my original post may have sounded offensive! Absolutely not my intention!
Peace .... Lets return to the joy of headphones again!

Apr 8, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #2,948 of 6,413
Quote:
Fair enough.  Thanks for the clear response.  Out of curiousity does Aurisonics have a philosophy regarding driver selection?  Why the focus on dynamics/hybrid as opposed to the more traditional multi-ba array?

[size=medium]Great question! Before I became an audio/product engineer many moons ago I built fast cars. I learned a simple rule "There is no replacement for displacement".  The bigger the engine that you could harness to the ground the faster you could go. Our 15mm dynamic is a large speaker which can move a lot of air. I simply stayed with my rule and harnessed/coupled that large speaker to the ear.  As you can read from most of the posts they don't seem to lack the low end. Well that's not to say they are bottom end heavy and bloated and uncontrolled, they have a very detailed sound that does not lack or leave you missing anything. We precisely calculate the air volume behind the speaker, precisely meter the pass through air flow from front to back, allow the dynamic to be adjusted mechanically to match the air volume in your ear, run it full range unencumbered by crossovers, and add some custom built tweeters to augment the high frequency drive. The phase is matched and they are aligned using an algorithm to ensure they sound the way they should. The result  is a well balanced IEM with plenty of headroom that can drive very low tones and notes and give you a very smooth far reaching high end. Many companies use all BA's which is ok for them, I just chose a different path for ours.  Many people say our IEMs sound so much warmer and natural than BA based IEMs. I hear the words "warm analog" sounding a lot. Thanks again for the great question, I hope this helps.[/size]

Apr 8, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #2,949 of 6,413
It definitely helps and it's nice to learn more about the passion and sense of direction that drives Aurisonics.

I'm very curious about this 'warm analog' sound and eagerly await reviews and comparisons of the AS-2 with the competition..

I hope future reviewers take the time to comment on the 'enlarged sound bore' and 'hyper coating', both potentially interesting innovations for CIEM enthusiasts.

Apr 11, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #2,950 of 6,413
Have Dflock or mongol received their ASG-2's yet? Impressions or pics would be awesome.

Still waiting on mine.

Apr 11, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #2,951 of 6,413
Quote:
Have Dflock or mongol received their ASG-2's yet? Impressions or pics would be awesome.

Still waiting on mine.

Yes, I did get my ASG-2. Except there was a mistake on shipment. I was to get the stealth version and was shipped the regular ASG-2 w/ bassport. I spoke with Andy from Aurisonics and they have been sent back. :frowning2:  They have not even made the stealth asg-2 so I will have to wait another week to get a real evaluation.

Apr 12, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #2,952 of 6,413
Received my ASG-2s regular yesterday :)

Haven't listened much, but first impressions are quite positive and I think these will complement the W4 and UE900 quite nicely. Unfortunately have to go to work, but with OOTP14 preorders being released today and brand-new IEM's waiting to be broken in, should be a great weekend!

Apr 12, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #2,953 of 6,413
Mine (ASG-2 w/ bass port) are already in my country (customs clearance complete) - I should get them into my hands next week (just afraid of the custom fees...)

Apr 12, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #2,954 of 6,413
Got my stealth as-2s this morning and have spent about an hour with them listening to 256kbhps mp3s with an ipad 2.  I'll do a full review later including a side-by-side comparison with my modded es5's, and also listening with better sources (FLAC files thru an RWAK100 and a DX100).

Some preliminary and disorganized notes (take with a HUGE grain of salt): 

These things have balls.  I was arguing with somebody that dynamic drivers give a different bass presentation than balanced armatures and these are the nail in the coffin.  These drive a living energy that BAs aren't capable of.  On the other hand, with more bass reverb, comes less bass detail (which may or may not matter much to you because bass doesn't contain nearly as much information as mids/highs anyway).  Their bass slams but doesn't have the precision that my modded es5s's bass has.  Their bass presentation is a microcosm of the rest of their signature- there is instrument separation and details, but you'll have to work a bit harder to hear them, compared to a BA-based IEM, which IME sound like many isolated sounds converging at a common point to give you the bigger picture.  Still, I don't want it to come across that they aren't detailed, because it is all there.  It comes back to whether you prefer natural or analytical.

I'm not sure if its a dynamic thing or what (Shotgunshane reported the same with the mg6pros), but these things do get sibilant.  I don't hear it all the time, but with pianos and high hats, it gets pronounced at mid-volume levels.  This is with an iPad and mp3s, so it could do with the source not being good or that the tracks aren't particularly well-mastered, but at the same time my modded es5s don't exhibit any under the same conditions.  The sibilance is most prominent with rap and dubstep because the music isn't very complicated (in rock etc., its easier for it to hide because there's a lot more going on at once in the track).  I'll test later to see if its the source/file type/mastering or if its the IEMs themselves that exhibit sibilance.  It seems that best-case scenario, these are unforgiving of poor quality files/sources.

I'll do a full review once I feel qualified to do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back