Fender IEM (Aurisonics) Impressions, Reviews & Discussions Thread
Dec 5, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #2,191 of 6,413
Quote:
Dale - I believe it's been mentioned that you had a difficult decision to make in regards to what type of technology to incorporate into the AS(G)-2, because at one point I do recall the AS-2 being teased as using a dual dynamic driver setup. I know you had your heart set on a second dynamic driver until these BAs you got your hands on changed your mind. Am I right in assuming that these "next gen" BAs are of a proprietary design? Can they be found in any other currently offered phones? I'm assuming they definitely aren't a dual set of TWFKs, because some who have heard it said the treble extension is highly capable and TWFKs do roll off 

[size=medium]They are most definitely not TWFKs. I would say I was kinda the catalyst to push the envelope on this one. I have always had a good relationship with Knowles. When they found out I was going strictly dynamic let's just say they were not pleased. I then challenged them and said you come up with a BA that is tweeter only with the highest extension possible and silkiest almost dynamic sounding projection and I will do my best to integrate it into a hybrid. It took about six months working with them but they delivered. It did not happen easily on our end either. Having a beautiful sounding BA is one thing but making it sound right with a dynamic is something else altogether. The BA and dynamic battled each other with great vigor until I finally convinced them to just get along and be friends. Once they did it was magic. Full range dynamic with a dash of silky smooth BA tweeters on top was the recipe. Of course it was not easy by any means. I commend those who have tried this combination. I see some have been successful and some not so much... [/size]

Dec 5, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #2,193 of 6,413
Quote:
Hi,
I'm new around here. Looking around for my first ciem.
I've come to the heir 4a. But would like to get impressions on the AS-2.
I'm looking for a neutral sounding iem as i'm planning to go into sound engineering and i'll be able to use it.
Thanks
Nao

We have several people using the AS-2 and the AS-1 for mixing, recorded and live sound. Any of you guys read this please feel free to chime in.

Dec 5, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #2,194 of 6,413
Quote:
He asked about sound engineering, on an Aurisonics thread. I would advise going with the AS-2's. Not so much the ASG-2 as if you are going for long term use and are using them for work you will be happier with a full fledged custom in the long run. 

The AS-2's are quite well balanced and have some great qualities to them that you can hear even as someone not in the business, of how revealing and precise they can be at audio playback. They are meant for music professionals and I think it's easy to see why when you take a listen.

He was asking for comparisons to the 4.A as well...  Ultimately though, the answer was still precise, the ER4s are regarded as one of the best IEMs out there for reference.

Quote:
Thanks for the replies! Took a little look at the er4s too. My beef is that it diesnt come with a detachable cable.
I've read a bit of the thread and saw that the AS-2 has a bit of treble boost? I guess i could live with that but are the bass and mids accurate?
Thanks

The ER4s are said to be one of the most neutral IEMs out there.  I'm 99.99% sure the Etymotic ER4s have a detachable cable :p

Dec 5, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #2,195 of 6,413
What is the fault of regular BAs? With this combination between the new "second gen" BAs and dynamic drivers, what is created? Kind of confused. My knowledge about this stuff is pretty little, but can anyone sum it up in some concise easy to understand phrasing?

Dec 5, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #2,196 of 6,413
Quote:
[size=medium]They are most definitely not TWFKs. I would say I was kinda the catalyst to push the envelope on this one. I have always had a good relationship with Knowles. When they found out I was going strictly dynamic let's just say they were not pleased. I then challenged them and said you come up with a BA that is tweeter only with the highest extension possible and silkiest almost dynamic sounding projection and I will do my best to integrate it into a hybrid. It took about six months working with them but they delivered. It did not happen easily on our end either. Having a beautiful sounding BA is one thing but making it sound right with a dynamic is something else altogether. The BA and dynamic battled each other with great vigor until I finally convinced them to just get along and be friends. Once they did it was magic. Full range dynamic with a dash of silky smooth BA tweeters on top was the recipe. Of course it was not easy by any means. I commend those who have tried this combination. I see some have been successful and some not so much... [/size]

Thanks for the detailed response Dale. It feels good to know that you are fully aware of what the competition is utilizing and how those implementations sound in regards to the sound signature they output. I'm really excited that these BAs will indeed be something completely different in the IEM world. I myself find the dual TWFK configuration in the ES5s to output tremendously enjoyable sound, so I'm really looking forward to hearing what your hybrid tweeter/dynamic combo sounds like. I know it's been mentioned by others who have visited Aurisonics that you yourself have numerous sets of IEMs, so I'm curious, is there a product offering from the competition that you really admire or enjoy?

Dec 5, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #2,197 of 6,413
Not Sure if this has been covered before?

Are the cables on the AS 2 Customs Detachable?

Also are they the recessed type Like UM, JH, Westone?

Its a little hard to tell from the photo's

Dec 5, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #2,198 of 6,413
Quote:
Thanks for the detailed response Dale. It feels good to know that you are fully aware of what the competition is utilizing and how those implementations sound in regards to the sound signature they output. I'm really excited that these BAs will indeed be something completely different in the IEM world. I myself find the dual TWFK configuration in the ES5s to output tremendously enjoyable sound, so I'm really looking forward to hearing what your hybrid tweeter/dynamic combo sounds like. I know it's been mentioned by others who have visited Aurisonics that you yourself have numerous sets of IEMs, so I'm curious, is there a product offering from the competition that you really admire or enjoy?

[size=medium]What a loaded question that is...[/size]

[size=medium]Yes I have quite an assortment of in-ears. I can honestly say that the best sounding in-ear I have ever heard without a doubt is the first prototype AS-1 in all its simple glory. I worked on the design for three months calculating and recalculating air volume and flow through and tweaking the sound tube path, diameter and shape and working on the driver until it was as perfect as one could get at 15mm. If I spent three months on every set like I did that one you would know what I meant. [/size]

[size=medium]However, a lot of what I learned on that one and all the ones that followed go into every set we build. We put everything we know and everything we have into every product we make. As we learn more we keep tweaking. All of our parts are made in the USA, our new cases will also be made in the USA and no more hurt fingers trying to open the otterbox.[/size]
[size=medium]As you can tell we also don't leave anyone hanging we Love our customers like family and want everyone once they become part of the Aurisonics family to know what that means. [/size]

[size=medium]Hear it, Live it ...[/size]

Dec 5, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #2,199 of 6,413
Quote:

Yes indeed they are detachable. To my knowledge the ones you mentioned are not recessed.

Dec 5, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #2,200 of 6,413
Hahaha, fair enough. Thanks for answering all of my questions, I really do appreciate it. And good to know about the new cases as well, for as protective as the Otterbox for the ASG-1 was, it was very difficult to open and close, and VERY cool that everything's made here in the USA, we don't have enough of that these days. Cheers Dale 

Dec 5, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #2,201 of 6,413
Quote:

I know the ASG-1 is recessed.  The Westone 4s I have are recessed as well. 

Dec 5, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #2,202 of 6,413
Quote:
[size=10pt]Springtree (One of our outstanding dealers) does list the ability to upgrade from 1.0 to 1.2 but all product always goes through us for upgrades.[/size]
[size=10pt]If you have the ASG-1 and want the ASG-2 we have something quite epic for you coming so don't sell off your ASG-1 keep it and don't buy the ASG-2 on Friday. That is unless you want to have both...[/size]

Quote:
Cult of Dale redeemed. I for one, can not wait now haha

I have to chime with that !

I can't wait too. This news might as well be Christmas morning !

Its been a long time since I put the 1.0's away for the upgrade.

Please remember us early European adopters.

*So excited

Dec 5, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #2,205 of 6,413
Quote:
Hi,
I'm new around here. Looking around for my first ciem.
I've come to the heir 4a. But would like to get impressions on the AS-2.
I'm looking for a neutral sounding iem as i'm planning to go into sound engineering and i'll be able to use it.
Thanks
Nao

Are you heading towards studio or live engineering more?  For studio engineering I suspect the ER4S will be closest to a pair of reference monitors.  For live engineering I use my ASG-1s for solo diagnostics or corrective EQ.  I will either run them through a preamp with a slight treble boost (the inverse of the posted frequency response, +1dB@6k, +2@10k, +3@14k) for individual channel EQ, or without the boost for a good representation of the HF absorption of a sea of heads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back