Fender IEM (Aurisonics) Impressions, Reviews & Discussions Thread
Jul 14, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #1,501 of 6,413
OK...  Thanks for the giving us the information on why it came to be called what it was.  I do have on question though, how does a bump in the low end lead to a V-shaped signature if you didn't touch the high end?  Sorry, all this talk about low end (I know why you'd want it though :p) is only half the explanation to the V-shape.  I can see how the balanced creates 1/2 of the V, but what about the high end? 

Sub-bass is always fun to have, and in my mind, a needed part of the audio spectrum for accurate reproduction.  So I'm with everyone here :)

IIRC, the treble part of the bump is to compensate for the lack of natural amplifying factor of the outer ears. The outer ears structure naturally amplifies certain range of frequency and that's lost in earphone, so in order to perceive flat, the lower treble must be have the bump. Can't remember where the source is, but I recall this is from hearing aid research in the past. In fact, the bass bump is partially concluded from heading aid research as well.

Jul 14, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #1,502 of 6,413
Quote:
IIRC, the treble part of the bump is to compensate for the lack of natural amplifying factor of the outer ears. The outer ears structure naturally amplifies certain range of frequency and that's lost in earphone, so in order to perceive flat, the lower treble must be have the bump. Can't remember where the source is, but I recall this is from hearing aid research in the past. In fact, the bass bump is partially concluded from heading aid research as well.

There are many great articles/sites out there that explain how the ear works, but here is one with some interesting info: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar11/articles/how-the-ear-works.htm

A truly flat frequency response would end up sounding mid-forward due to the way the ear naturally amplifies midrange frequencies (especially the vocal range). Overall it would sound: bass light, mid-forward, rolled off (highs)...

Jul 14, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #1,503 of 6,413
Quote:

There are many great articles/sites out there that explain how the ear works, but here is one with some interesting info: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar11/articles/how-the-ear-works.htm

A truly flat frequency response would end up sounding mid-forward due to the way the ear naturally amplifies midrange frequencies (especially the vocal range). Overall it would sound: bass light, mid-forward, rolled off (highs)...

Quote:

All very interesting information.  Thanks guys :)

Jul 14, 2012 at 5:27 AM Post #1,504 of 6,413

Not at all trying to be critical, seeing how the last peeing contest just ended (hopefully), so don't take this at all as disrespectful.  I'm certainly not trying to provoke a negative response, but when you say the price is perfect- do you have any custom IEMs that are in the $800 range that you have compared the as-2s to?

I spent a number of days with the AS-2 prototype a little over a month ago & wrote impressions on it (you can search the thread to find my impressions, I think Dale linked to it at the AS FB page too).  I A/B'ed it extensively with my UM Miracle (~$1K) & found it very much on par (in places, even exceeding it) in terms of performance.  Dale informed me of the cost after I had written my impressions, btw.  Also, I qualified my impressions with the fact what I heard was the universal (demo) version of the AS-2.. and a truly universal fit AS-2 will most likely offer an even more cohesive, accurate presentation.  I think there's a wide consensus that demo versions of customs don't typically fully deliver how a true custom will sound.  I'm very confident the AS-2 will be able to go toe-to-toe with other $1K customs.

Jul 14, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #1,505 of 6,413
The ASG-1 is so perplexing. There are some songs that I can't really listen to without EQ because I can barely hear the highs. BUT just now I listened to Miles Davis' "So What" and there the treble was in full force, nicely extended with great presence and shimmer on the cymbals. It's the best I've heard it sound.

What the hell, Dale?

Jul 14, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #1,506 of 6,413
Quote:

I spent a number of days with the AS-2 prototype a little over a month ago & wrote impressions on it (you can search the thread to find my impressions, I think Dale linked to it at the AS FB page too).  I A/B'ed it extensively with my UM Miracle (~$1K) & found it very much on par (in places, even exceeding it) in terms of performance.  Dale informed me of the cost after I had written my impressions, btw.  Also, I qualified my impressions with the fact what I heard was the universal (demo) version of the AS-2.. and a truly universal fit AS-2 will most likely offer an even more cohesive, accurate presentation.  I think there's a wide consensus that demo versions of customs don't typically fully deliver how a true custom will sound.  I'm very confident the AS-2 will be able to go toe-to-toe with other $1K customs.

Well we won't have to wait much longer confirm that, now do we?

Jul 14, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #1,507 of 6,413
Quote:
The ASG-1 is so perplexing. There are some songs that I can't really listen to without EQ because I can barely hear the highs. BUT just now I listened to Miles Davis' "So What" and there the treble was in full force, nicely extended with great presence and shimmer on the cymbals. It's the best I've heard it sound.

What the hell, Dale?

How many hours does your set have?

I've noticed this lessens a bit as they cross 120hrs. But that could just be me avoiding songs that may frustrate me.
I'm going to probably pick up burning these in more this week.

Jul 14, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #1,508 of 6,413
Quote:

I've noticed this lessens a bit as they cross 120hrs. But that could just be me avoiding songs that may frustrate me.

Mine started coming in around 120 hours.  Finished around 180-200.  

Jul 14, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #1,509 of 6,413
Quote:

Mine has maybe 300-400 hours...I was among the first to get the 1.2. 

It's like you have to get the treble drunk on some really good recordings for it to bare its chest. Mardi Gras style

Jul 14, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #1,510 of 6,413
I've said this before, but i've noticed that these sound better with some warm-up. Trying to avoid brain-burn in, and just warm them up for 10 minutes on bassdrive.
It's probably in my head... I know next to nothing about the driver membrane material in these ASG-1s, but do transducers need some warm up?

Jul 14, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #1,511 of 6,413
Quote:
I've said this before, but i've noticed that these sound better with some warm-up. Trying to avoid brain-burn in, and just warm them up for 10 minutes on bassdrive.
It's probably in my head... I know next to nothing about the driver membrane material in these ASG-1s, but do transducers need some warm up?

I don't think it needs warm up.  It might just be you, IDK.

Jul 14, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #1,512 of 6,413
For example:

Great, right?

Now, another favorite of mine. But, you have to give yourself a couple of seconds to withstand the urge to turn up the treble a bit and let yourself get sucked into the sultry vocals.

But this song is slightly treble driven and the cymbals don't come through like they should. A treble boost improves it by a good 30%

Hut then I switch to this, and it sounds amazing again!

Jul 14, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #1,514 of 6,413
Does anyone notice a maybe slight imbalance on the ASG-1.2? I am pretty sure I don't have any hearing impairments but at least to my ears its like the right side is slightly quieter in comparison to the left driver.

Might just be because of the eartips but I am not sure.

Jul 14, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #1,515 of 6,413
Hey guys, working on finishing the AS-2 review I'm writing. Anyone got any suggestions for things to test for Treble and midrange that I would be able to talk about? Let me know the track and I'll see if it will help me have more to talk about in the review. It would be very helpful as I hope to have the review out soon once I get to find some great examples to talk about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back