Fender IEM (Aurisonics) Impressions, Reviews & Discussions Thread
Jul 14, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #1,516 of 6,354

ChrisSC

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 23, 2011
Posts
658
Likes
161
Hey Kenman, awesome that you'll try a few tracks!

I've got a couple:
How about "Florida" by modest mouse for treble (there's a sqweeky synthesizer sound that is subtle on some of my 'phones but prominent on others)
For midrange and overall instrument placement "no good" by Amy Winehouse

They're both kinda obscure tracks you might not have so maybe just play the 30sec clips from iTunes?

Thanks and looking forward to your review
 
Jul 14, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #1,517 of 6,354

tinyman392

Be nice to noobs, we were all noobs at one point in our life.
Joined
Apr 27, 2011
Posts
8,302
Likes
1,351
Quote:
Does anyone notice a maybe slight imbalance on the ASG-1.2? I am pretty sure I don't have any hearing impairments but at least to my ears its like the right side is slightly quieter in comparison to the left driver.
 
Might just be because of the eartips but I am not sure.

 
Slight imbalance is not normal, ASG is no exception.  It can be due to a difference in seal though.  It may be the eartips if they are different, or your ears are differently sized.
 
Quote:
Hey guys, working on finishing the AS-2 review I'm writing. Anyone got any suggestions for things to test for Treble and midrange that I would be able to talk about? Let me know the track and I'll see if it will help me have more to talk about in the review. It would be very helpful as I hope to have the review out soon once I get to find some great examples to talk about.

 
I honestly don't ever use any test songs when I test.  When a person buys a pair of headphones, he's going to listen to all his music, not just a few select tracks.  That said, I just put my iPod on shuffle (with a multitude of genres from electronics, to rock, to rap, to pop, all the way up to country and acoustics as well).  That's just me though.  I can't think of any treble focused songs off the top of my head :frowning2:  
 
Jul 14, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #1,518 of 6,354

kenman345

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 22, 2011
Posts
2,891
Likes
86
I understand that sentiment, I can't just say, the midrange and treble sound epic.... the end. I gotta justify my opinion and I haven't found anything I can say is a pure example of the treble of midrange that would be able to be used as reference to describe what I hear in my review.
Quote:
 
I honestly don't ever use any test songs when I test.  When a person buys a pair of headphones, he's going to listen to all his music, not just a few select tracks.  That said, I just put my iPod on shuffle (with a multitude of genres from electronics, to rock, to rap, to pop, all the way up to country and acoustics as well).  That's just me though.  I can't think of any treble focused songs off the top of my head :frowning2:  

 
So what's your qualification of too much, not enough, or just right? for both those tracks
Quote:
Hey Kenman, awesome that you'll try a few tracks!
I've got a couple:
How about "Florida" by modest mouse for treble (there's a sqweeky synthesizer sound that is subtle on some of my 'phones but prominent on others)
For midrange and overall instrument placement "no good" by Amy Winehouse
They're both kinda obscure tracks you might not have so maybe just play the 30sec clips from iTunes?
Thanks and looking forward to your review

 
Jul 14, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #1,519 of 6,354

tinyman392

Be nice to noobs, we were all noobs at one point in our life.
Joined
Apr 27, 2011
Posts
8,302
Likes
1,351
Quote:
I understand that sentiment, I can't just say, the midrange and treble sound epic.... the end. I gotta justify my opinion and I haven't found anything I can say is a pure example of the treble of midrange that would be able to be used as reference to describe what I hear in my review.
 
So what's your qualification of too much, not enough, or just right? for both those tracks

 
I understand.  There are many ways to do reviews, what you stated was one of them.  I just describe the properties (look in sound glossary) and how they are preformed with the IEM.  Using songs is another way to do it (one I personally don't do).  
 
You have to remember that too much, not enough, or just right is really more of a personal thing.  Again, which is why I listen for properties (sparkle, sweetness, energy, lushness, detailing, clarity, etc.).  Knowing the amount is a good thing for determining signature type in my mind.  I do want to know what kind of signature it is (quantity wise, but also the quality properties as well).  
 
Jul 15, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #1,520 of 6,354

ChrisSC

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 23, 2011
Posts
658
Likes
161
Yeah like tinyman said- i trust you when you say that they're top-tier so I don't really expect any weaknesses to show. I'm mostly just curious about its sound signature (mid-forward, bass enhanced, treble recessed, blah blah blah)
 
Jul 15, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #1,521 of 6,354

vocalist

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 10, 2012
Posts
294
Likes
18
I don't think this necessarily fits what you're asking for but if you could - can you test "Shake it Out" by Florence and the Machine?  There is a ton of stuff going on in the midrange - especially organ (I think) and it's a song I honestly have a really hard time listening to on any iem that I have.  I actually tend to go for the version from the tv show Smash because the original just messes with my ears too much. I'm listening to (tolerating?) it on the 1.2's right now but it's seriously driving me up a wall. 
 
beerchug.gif

 
 
Jul 15, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #1,522 of 6,354

kenman345

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 22, 2011
Posts
2,891
Likes
86
Well, that happens to be a song I consider eargasm worthy on the AS-2's. I had it paused on my machine when I came back and took a look at the thread. I guess that's a good way of identifying the midrange with the organ and everything. I honestly have been addicted to the sound of Florence and the Machine recently. Been really enjoying them for a while. I have all their albums on CD and have lossless rips on my computer. It's beautiful, absolutely wonderful. I'm listening to it now :)
Quote:
I don't think this necessarily fits what you're asking for but if you could - can you test "Shake it Out" by Florence and the Machine?  There is a ton of stuff going on in the midrange - especially organ (I think) and it's a song I honestly have a really hard time listening to on any iem that I have.  I actually tend to go for the version from the tv show Smash because the original just messes with my ears too much. I'm listening to (tolerating?) it on the 1.2's right now but it's seriously driving me up a wall. 
 
beerchug.gif

 

 
Jul 15, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #1,524 of 6,354

kenman345

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 22, 2011
Posts
2,891
Likes
86
MGMT an abbreviation?
Quote:
Kenman, if you could test MGMT "Kids" that would be great. The keyboard in the song is very heavy in the midrange and was one of the shoutier tracks for me with the ASG 1.0.

 
Jul 15, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #1,525 of 6,354

PhoenixClaw

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 22, 2011
Posts
665
Likes
50
Location
-
Quote:
Hey guys, working on finishing the AS-2 review I'm writing. Anyone got any suggestions for things to test for Treble and midrange that I would be able to talk about? Let me know the track and I'll see if it will help me have more to talk about in the review. It would be very helpful as I hope to have the review out soon once I get to find some great examples to talk about.


Just throwing this out there: Nina - Nina Live! (album). Specifically, the song Love Moves in Mysterious Ways.
 
Jul 15, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #1,527 of 6,354

kenman345

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 22, 2011
Posts
2,891
Likes
86
Just wanted to add something here. I have this song from the MTV Unplugged special and from the Ceremonials album. From the album, you hear a harshness in her voice on t's and S's that's a bit annoying. I've tested it on other listening equipment and it's exactly the same. If you want to hear it at it's best on the AS-2's, you gotta go for the MTV Unplugged album version. Live setting recordings are beautiful on the AS-2's and the recording doesn't have nearly the same harshness in her voice. Again, I am quite certain the harshness is in the recording. I've asked many friend to take a listen and they instantly picked it out for me.
Quote:
I don't think this necessarily fits what you're asking for but if you could - can you test "Shake it Out" by Florence and the Machine?  There is a ton of stuff going on in the midrange - especially organ (I think) and it's a song I honestly have a really hard time listening to on any iem that I have.  I actually tend to go for the version from the tv show Smash because the original just messes with my ears too much. I'm listening to (tolerating?) it on the 1.2's right now but it's seriously driving me up a wall. 
 
beerchug.gif

 

 
 
EDIT:
 
I kinda wish this were a better example for me. It sounds just fine. No trouble in the treble. The AS-2's are a different beat than the AS-1's or ASG-1's. What's that other instrument besides the keyboard in the background? Is it another keyboard? Keyboards arent great for testing midrange or anything. They are digital manufacturings of the music, I rather hear a real piano in the song. 
 
Kenman, if you could test MGMT "Kids" that would be great. The keyboard in the song is very heavy in the midrange and was one of the shoutier tracks for me with the ASG 1.0.

 
Jul 15, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #1,528 of 6,354

Huxley

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 28, 2006
Posts
1,181
Likes
72
Quote:
Well, that happens to be a song I consider eargasm worthy on the AS-2's. I had it paused on my machine when I came back and took a look at the thread. I guess that's a good way of identifying the midrange with the organ and everything. I honestly have been addicted to the sound of Florence and the Machine recently. Been really enjoying them for a while. I have all their albums on CD and have lossless rips on my computer. It's beautiful, absolutely wonderful. I'm listening to it now :)

What about dog days are gone, that's a well known song and should fare well.
 
Jul 15, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #1,529 of 6,354
Joined
Jul 22, 2011
Posts
7,049
Likes
1,162
I think I've been selling my ASG-1 short. 
 
I've been on an EQ fast for the last 24 hrs and, after months, I've just wrapped my head around its signature. It's a really sultry sounding phone. It's not one for clarity, but the details are all there. As always the bass runs circles around everything else I've heard, but the kicker is the midrange. 
 
Most phones usually sound slightly detached with the clarity and lack of warmth in the sound. Not the ASG-1. By being bassy, mid-forward, and warm, the sound really hugs and envelops you. If you close your eyes, you're instantly transported into the music. Through all of that warmth it still has excellent separation of both instruments and vocals, and a massive soundstage that all lend to truly a euphoric sound. 
 
It's not aggressive at all due to the toned down treble, but it still finds a way to work for harder genres through it's good driver speed, and great percussion and guitar timbre.
 
I think it's one of those thing you have to sit down and appreciate, sort of like those exotic cheeses.
 
 
Sorry for my verbal diarrhea over the last few days. I've just been struggling to come to terms with what I'm hearing.
 
Jul 15, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #1,530 of 6,354

vocalist

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 10, 2012
Posts
294
Likes
18
Quote:
I think I've been selling my ASG-1 short. 
 
I've been on an EQ fast for the last 24 hrs and, after months, I've just wrapped my head around its signature. It's a really sultry sounding phone. It's not one for clarity, but the details are all there. As always the bass runs circles around everything else I've heard, but the kicker is the midrange. 
 
Most phones usually sound slightly detached with the clarity and lack of warmth in the sound. Not the ASG-1. By being bassy, mid-forward, and warm, the sound really hugs and envelops you. If you close your eyes, you're instantly transported into the music. Through all of that warmth it still has excellent separation of both instruments and vocals, and a massive soundstage that all lend to truly a euphoric sound. 
 
It's not aggressive at all due to the toned down treble, but it still finds a way to work for harder genres through it's good driver speed, and great percussion and guitar timbre.
 
I think it's one of those thing you have to sit down and appreciate, sort of like those exotic cheeses.
 
 
Sorry for my verbal diarrhea over the last few days. I've just been struggling to come to terms with what I'm hearing.


I almost posted something similar the other day. I've been entranced with their sound on the rare occassion I've plugged them into my iPhone or (especially) Sony A865 and the EQ has been off.  I'll honestly say that for me, for classical, they sound worlds different on the A865 than on the iPhone. The Sony gives them a much richer sound - possibly truer?  than on the iPhone and I much prefer the EQ options if/when I want to use them. At times they still sound slightly veiled to me - especially on classical or more specifically on opera. BUT in opera it seems to place the vocalists right where they should be, i.e. I can really get a sense of where the singer is on the stage and I LOVE it! EQ is a tricky little devil for me; if I constantly manipulate it I find myself only wanting to listen to my music EQ'd. If I leave it off and just listen to the music, I generally hear things in the music I had never previously heard - probably because I wasn't actually "listening" so much as I was fiddling.
 
If you have a chance, look up Konnexion Balkon either on youtube or on iTunes. My husband and I happened across them in Munich, Germany about 2 months ago and not only are they fantastic musicians but their music comes through beautifully on the ASG's. I'm listening to their cd right now and it's simply amazing. 
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top