Fender IEM (Aurisonics) Impressions, Reviews & Discussions Thread
Jun 7, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #677 of 6,413
yep all cables oxidize.

copper goes green and there is sound degradation.

silver goes yellow, then brown, then black, and the sound is supposed to not be affected.  Quoting from ALOaudio's FAQ page:

Dr. Arthur Loesch, well known audio designer and Professor of Atmospheric Dynamics at the State University of New York, maintains that fears of silver oxide contaminating the sound are completely unfounded. As he puts it, “Silver oxide is still silver and it all sounds the same.”..silver will oxidize, but the oxide of silver is conductive, so oxidized silver will still make a good signal path

Jun 7, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #678 of 6,413
I wanted to share a quick ASG-1 story.  Not too long ago I had a friend over and we were listening to the HD600, Pro750, and LCD-2.  He like the LCD-2 the best of course, but was looking for something cheaper and more portable.  I let him try the ASG-1 and he immediately fell in love, and long story short bought one.  Impressive that he bough after listening to the LCD-2!  

Jun 7, 2012 at 6:05 AM Post #679 of 6,413
Quote:
I wanted to share a quick ASG-1 story.  Not too long ago I had a friend over and we were listening to the HD600, Pro750, and LCD-2.  He like the LCD-2 the best of course, but was looking for something cheaper and more portable.  I let him try the ASG-1 and he immediately fell in love, and long story short bought one.  Impressive that he bough after listening to the LCD-2!  

I'm impressed. Ok everyone, but lets get back on the cable topic. Here's Dale's response and explanation to why it happens!

Quote Dale Lott:
The copper is plated with silver then flattened to form tensile wire. This cause micro cracks in the silver exposing the copper on a micro level. The jacket is PVC which can allow molecules of moisture though to the wire inside which sweat will cause the oxidation to occur quicker. Most all companies with this type of cable IE Westone, Futursonics and others including us buy our cables from the same US manufacturer. Thus you will see this occur in most cables in this price range. That being said we are working on our own cables which hold up to sweat much better.

Jun 7, 2012 at 7:05 AM Post #681 of 6,413
Me, too!

Jun 7, 2012 at 7:40 AM Post #682 of 6,413
Jun 7, 2012 at 9:41 AM Post #683 of 6,413
Doh! I thought it described the IEM! 
confused_face.gif
  That I can't wait for.

Jun 7, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #684 of 6,413

ASG1 really presents vocals with body and character, even background vocals are given their own appropriate highlight :D

Jun 7, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #686 of 6,413
Think I'm gonna purchase a pair of the updated ones second-hand today.....

Edit:  done deal. 

Jun 7, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #689 of 6,413
So the AS-2 will eventually be in universal format as well? ...which will be the ASG-2? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back