Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Dec 23, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #7,576 of 11,460
Hello and welcome, I have run Senn 650,700 and my main phones the 800. Depending on tubes used, I generally run the volume about 11 o'clock. Three o'clock would make your ears bleed! I have never in the last few years with this amp, ever run out of volume. My HE-560's need more volume, usually around 12 o'clock, but have never run out of headroom on these either.

Dec 23, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #7,577 of 11,460
I have the T1 and the HD650 (and the HD250). No problems at all with volume - running past 11-12 o'clock is usually too loud.

Thank you. Is there a gain switch on the amp?

Dec 23, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #7,579 of 11,460
No, but as CF states, never ran out of volume.

Good. I would prefer not to have the gain switch. Thanks for the info on crossfeed. When I looked at the pic of the back panel it took me a while to figure out the switch next to the IEC receptacle was the cross feed switch! Kinda weird choice of positions for such a switch.

Dec 23, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #7,580 of 11,460
Good. I would prefer not to have the gain switch. Thanks for the info on crossfeed. When I looked at the pic of the back panel it took me a while to figure out the switch next to the IEC receptacle was the cross feed switch! Kinda weird choice of positions for such a switch.

Hi gimmeheadroom...and welcome from me also. Hope you do indeed go for the Euforia (unless you have already lol! :wink:).

Re. headphones, this amp does appear to be able to drive most very well - F-A deliberately configured Euforia so as to handle low-impedance cans as well as high-. Our much lamented, departed (far too early alas :triportsad:) friend Phil - aka pctazhp - had the HD800S and was very impressed indeed with the combination. I myself loved the Beyer T1 (v1 with replacement DIY pure silver cable), but has since been relegated to the cupboard by the Meze Empyreans...in the words of a guy at Meze "A match made in Heaven"...(along with my Hugo2 as DAC).

As for the xfeed switch at the back of the amp, this would be in keeping with Feliks-Audio's desire to keep the amp looking 'minimalist' and 'neat' by having just the volume knob on the front panel, and nothing else (apart from the headphone out...thankfully not sprouting out from the top of the amp - which was their first choice with the original Elise before we all screamed...NO WAY!! :ksc75smile:).

Dec 23, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #7,581 of 11,460
Hi @hypnos1 thank you!

I'm not really decided what to do. It's hard to buy audio gear without listening long and hard but that's what I have mostly done over the past years. I'm considering the WA2 and not sure about the Euforia price tag yet. I'm sorry about pctazhp, I didn't know he passed away. Have not read the whole giant thread yet. I have other amps for low impedance cans so this is not essential for the amp I'm considering. But if I go to 2000 euros then I start considering what else is available. And maybe solid state options like the Violectric. I have not come to grips with the possibilities.

Dec 23, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #7,582 of 11,460
Now then @connieflyer ...how are things going with your possible lead on some GEC TT21s lol? I really do fervently hope it proves fruitful, and at a 'reasonable' price. Moreover, I hope even more that you're fortunate enough to trace a quad of them, or possibly some TT22s to make the quartet! :wink:

Why? Because now that my latest new-looking TT21 plus all adapters and new (UP-OCC) wires have burned in some more, my own foursome has me knowing precisely why folks are prepared to pay hundreds of £/$ for even (good) used examples...and they most certainly are not all suffering from 'more money than sense'!! This is the kind of sound you simply cannot get 'on the cheap' (unless lucky to find some 'relatively' cheap as I did, and unless the upcoming GU50 tube can pull off some kind of major miracle!). I'm now getting a performance that is way beyond the extremely good Gold Lion KT88s that, in my system at least, easily beat all comers lol.

Actually, a leap in performance also came the other day when I substituted an obviously under-performing TT21 with the new-looking tube I paid £175 for (I'm that impressed by them!:smile_phones:). The poorly tube in question did in fact finally give up the ghost with a couple of very loud (and nasty!) cracks - Euforia's protection circuitry preventing any major damage to either itself or my headphones...thankfully!! Still, it wasn't wholly unsurprising, given its lower emission readings and broken locating lug...hence only £45. The ebayer refunded straight away, without question.

Anyway, with the 'new(ish)' tube in situ, it was (yet again!) like hearing a different amp...and one in a whole new league. Exceptional bass still there, but now also with delicate, subtle treble notes I never knew were there...and the whole presentation even more 'polished'. Female voices, especially such as Loreena McKennitt's, take on a fresh smoothness and sensual character (at high listening levels especially, some of her high notes can sometimes be a tad 'hard' with other tubes). The same goes for male vocals...and both now occupy their own space even more so than before, as do all other elements of the recording. The soundstage is actually at first quite a bit different to previously, simply because of this better positioning within 3 dimensional space. All these aspects jumped out at me today, reinforcing the new 'experience' I mentioned just recently...a very special one indeed IMHO.

And so cf, and anyone else interested, do keep searching for the 'bargains' that occasionally do pop up...but there's obviously one helluva lot of aficionados who need to be sleeping at the time alas!! :wink: And if necessary (not to mention lucky) don't forget the TT22...a 12V laptop charger/power supply will do heater power supply superbly, even if attaching its negative to mains Earth is needed...my own is doing an exceptionally good job lol! We may also need to ask xulingmrs or member Deyan to make another KT88 adapter, but without heater pins and with separate external wires for heater duties instead.

Whatever, excellent performance can obviously be had from any of the KT66/77/88/7581A families, so HAPPY LISTENING to all...along with an early HAPPY CHRISTMAS!! :santa:...CJ

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #7,583 of 11,460
Hi @hypnos1 thank you!

I'm not really decided what to do. It's hard to buy audio gear without listening long and hard but that's what I have mostly done over the past years. I'm considering the WA2 and not sure about the Euforia price tag yet. I'm sorry about pctazhp, I didn't know he passed away. Have not read the whole giant thread yet. I have other amps for low impedance cans so this is not essential for the amp I'm considering. But if I go to 2000 euros then I start considering what else is available. And maybe solid state options like the Violectric. I have not come to grips with the possibilities.

Difficult decisions indeed, gh...and yes, if possible the best option by far is to listen to as many different amps first. Trouble there is it really needs to be within the rest of one's system and in one's own unique environment...not an easy task lol! :triportsad: But good luck with whichever direction you choose...:smile_phones:...

Dec 23, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #7,584 of 11,460
Thanks. Maybe the La Figaro 339, maybe this Feliks or one of his other ones, maybe Sinus Audio, maybe Woo. European products are easier for me to buy obviously...

Dec 23, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #7,585 of 11,460
Now then @connieflyer ...how are things going with your possible lead on some GEC TT21s lol? I really do fervently hope it proves fruitful, and at a 'reasonable' price. Moreover, I hope even more that you're fortunate enough to trace a quad of them, or possibly some TT22s to make the quartet! :wink:

Why? Because now that my latest new-looking TT21 plus all adapters and new (UP-OCC) wires have burned in some more, my own foursome has me knowing precisely why folks are prepared to pay hundreds of £/$ for even (good) used examples...and they most certainly are not all suffering from 'more money than sense'!! This is the kind of sound you simply cannot get 'on the cheap' (unless lucky to find some 'relatively' cheap as I did, and unless the upcoming GU50 tube can pull off some kind of major miracle!). I'm now getting a performance that is way beyond the extremely good Gold Lion KT88s that, in my system at least, easily beat all comers lol.

Actually, a leap in performance also came the other day when I substituted an obviously under-performing TT21 with the new-looking tube I paid £175 for (I'm that impressed by them!:smile_phones:). The poorly tube in question did in fact finally give up the ghost with a couple of very loud (and nasty!) cracks - Euforia's protection circuitry preventing any major damage to either itself or my headphones...thankfully!! Still, it wasn't wholly unsurprising, given its lower emission readings and broken locating lug...hence only £45. The ebayer refunded straight away, without question.

Anyway, with the 'new(ish)' tube in situ, it was (yet again!) like hearing a different amp...and one in a whole new league. Exceptional bass still there, but now also with delicate, subtle treble notes I never knew were there...and the whole presentation even more 'polished'. Female voices, especially such as Loreena McKennitt's, take on a fresh smoothness and sensual character (at high listening levels especially, some of her high notes can sometimes be a tad 'hard' with other tubes). The same goes for male vocals...and both now occupy their own space even more so than before, as do all other elements of the recording. The soundstage is actually at first quite a bit different to previously, simply because of this better positioning within 3 dimensional space. All these aspects jumped out at me today, reinforcing the new 'experience' I mentioned just recently...a very special one indeed IMHO.

And so cf, and anyone else interested, do keep searching for the 'bargains' that occasionally do pop up...but there's obviously one helluva lot of aficionados who need to be sleeping at the time alas!! :wink: And if necessary (not to mention lucky) don't forget the TT22...a 12V laptop battery/charger will do heater power supply superbly, even if attaching its negative to mains Earth is needed...my own is doing an exceptionally good job lol! We may also need to ask xulingmrs or member Deyan to make another KT88 adapter, but without heater pins and with separate external wires for heater duties instead.

Whatever, excellent performance can obviously be had from any of the KT66/77/88/7581A families, so HAPPY LISTENING to all...along with an early HAPPY CHRISTMAS!! :santa:...CJ

Yep CJ...even before experiencing myself (someday) the GEC KT88s/TT 21s, I Im just trying to imagine the sweet sound of such classics... a legend among British tubes. Hard to find reasonably priced, tough... OTOH the GU50 looks interesting, yes, but it is 12.6 v and with very unconventional pins...needs a lot of adaptor work. Happy Christmas to all ¡¡

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #7,586 of 11,460
Yep CJ...even before experiencing myself (someday) the GEC KT88s/TT 21s, I Im just trying to imagine the sweet sound of such classics...almost a legend among british tubes. Hard to find reasonably priced, tough... OTOH the GU50 looks interesting, yes, but it is 12.6 v and with very unconventional pins...needs a lot of adaptor work. Happy Christmas to all ¡¡

Hi J. Knowing the wonderful collection of tubes you already have, any more must certainly be a little 'daunting' lol? :wink: But 'someday' you really must try and find some 'bargain' TT21s...mine are simply blowing me away right now (wasn't expecting such a difference today brought, as per my previous explanation). I have never before spent £175 on a tube and don't regret one cent/penny of it...(made sweeter by bagging the other 3 tubes for about £190!).

Re. the GU50, the 12.3V from my laptop power supply should be sufficient to do the job, and the tube's pins will in fact be easier for me to convert (without using a socket), compared to my usual attempt to gain access to the wires inside conventional pins. And for an adapter, I'm hoping the pin spacing is such as to fit in the silver-plated roll-jaw socket I found to be exceptional for the C3g...better than any other method of pin receptor actually!...wish me luck...and g'night all :L3000:.

Dec 23, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #7,587 of 11,460
Hi CJ, nothing to report on the quad of TT21s so far. He is trying to decide if he wants to let them go. Hope he does not see this thread!!! He has no use for them, but he is wary of letting them go. Oh well, my KT77's have shipped so that will give me something else to play with by the end of the week. Your latest discovery, is sounding really good. I hope I can get those tubes, but I don't want to push him, he may start looking around, and do a search, as I would do. Good luck and keep up the good work.

Dec 23, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #7,588 of 11,460
Hi J. Knowing the wonderful collection of tubes you already have, any more must certainly be a little 'daunting' lol? :wink: But 'someday' you really must try and find some 'bargain' TT21s...mine are simply blowing me away right now (wasn't expecting such a difference today brought, as per my previous explanation). I have never before spent £175 on a tube and don't regret one cent/penny of it...(made sweeter by bagging the other 3 tubes for about £190!).

Re. the GU50, the 12.3V from my laptop power supply should be sufficient to do the job, and the tube's pins will in fact be easier for me to convert (without using a socket), compared to my usual attempt to gain access to the wires inside conventional pins. And for an adapter, I'm hoping the pin spacing is such as to fit in the silver-plated roll-jaw socket I found to be exceptional for the C3g...better than any other method of pin receptor actually!...wish me luck...and g'night all :L3000:.

Daunting ? I would say bordering madness at that prices, but who knows ? great sound demands certain sacrifices !! (Lol). Re. the GU50 adaptor, I think the 7N7/6SN7 octal adaptor is also a “roll jaw” type that might fit (?)

BTW, tried my new Shuguang WEKT88 quad in Euforia and it sounded excellent, no doubt about it. More or less, all that has been said about the GLKT88s applies to this great (albeit gigantic) tube that barely fitted on the front slots: extremely clear, clean, detailed, nicely open and with extraordinarily deep bass, well controlled and not “dry” at all...I liked them a lot. However, when pushed hard as a preamp, my (lovely) quad of EL12N powers in my PA began to show strange blue flashes on top, not affecting the sound but indicating some sort of overload...perhaps too powerful output, so I rolled them into the PA as powers:

008B2C77-ABB8-4674-8756-A4A701CCD74E.jpeg

8C828BE6-436F-41D0-A694-89A24D67182C.jpeg
The quad of KT77s happened to be a great match with their lively, precise sound and a welcomed touch of warmth in the mids...the WEKT88 as powers are very accurate, linear sounding and nicely sweet, without a trace of harshness. I am “adjusting” to their sound and allowing a bit of burn-in, of course. In the meantime, the EL12Ns (fitted as EL34s) were not that powerful or perhaps linear but man, they sounded like the very best EL34s ever made on earth, with a deeply sweet, utterly “liquid”, romantic sound that is hard to beat ! I read that this “feeling” is quite usual when switching from EL34s to KT88s...specially when the former are NOS tubes !!

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2019 at 10:41 PM Post #7,589 of 11,460
Strange looking little tubes http://www.tubes.rs/gu50-ussr-ls50-telefunken-fu50-china/#prettyPhoto I wonder if these will work in Euforia. Looks like the anode voltage should be about 800V. Looks like they are still being made in China, possibly by Shugaung https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GU-50. Pin out looks to be fun as well but prices are cheap anyways. https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=gu50 Still producing amps with this tube though. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Class-A-...a=1&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2019 at 6:07 AM Post #7,590 of 11,460

Users who are viewing this thread

Back