Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Dec 20, 2019 at 9:54 PM Post #7,561 of 11,472
Read some posts about the Chinese Shuguang GEKT88 tubes where these percentages appear. However, most of those posts are around 10 years old or more, and I wonder if the KT88 landscape has changed since then?

Hi Mordy, I read in many places that the Chinese tubes have come a long way in recent years, the “premium” ones now showing vastly improved quality/reliability...and sound !. I was looking for an “open & neutral” quad of KT88s for my PA (which is warmish sounding) so the GEKT88 looked nice, but then I learned about the highly regarded Psvane KT88 T-II and the latest “top” WEKT88 Plus from Shuguang (the tall one with the red base):

46210876785_cca885d09d_k.jpg 46210877855_3a7b15e5a3_k.jpg

The few reviews available are unanimous in that, while the Psvanes KT88-TII are great sounding tubes in the right gear (“gold” Psvanes CV181 are the premium drivers in the new Euforia !) the new WEKT88s are probably even better, more spacious, organic and (most important) very balanced/neutral sounding...precisely what I was looking for my PA...so I decided to go for a very good offer from a U.S. vendor (expecting delivery on Monday). Of course, will try the quad in Euforia first...surely will be a most interesting experience. However, I am a big fan of classic “British sound” and for Euforia I wish I could find some GEC TT21s at reasonable prices, but so far only lucky CJ have managed to do that !

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2019 at 8:45 AM Post #7,562 of 11,472
An opinion from a valued member of another forum member I trust. His assesment of Gold Lion. "I find the reissue tubes as good or better that the original GEC KT88 tubes. I recall that the original GEC tubes had excelent bass and midrange, but there was this ever-present slight veil in the upper midrange and treble region.
The reissue tubes sound even-balanced and trow a wide and deep soundstage.
I have learned that soundstaging is the first thing to goes wrong when one tweaks the system in the wrong direction, so, after using these tubes in three different amps (PP and SE), IMHO the Gold Lion reissue KT-88 tubes are a gift to audiophiles."
Have had no problems with the Gold Lion KT88 or KT66's . Currently running a pair of Gold Lion KT88 powers with a pair of 7581A's and enjoying what I am hearing. Especially used as pre amp out.

Dec 21, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #7,563 of 11,472
Hello CJ, how are the TT21's doing? Am on the hunt for a pair and have a lead from a member on another forum so just looking for your input. Thanks

Dec 21, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #7,564 of 11,472
Currently running a pair of Gold Lion KT88 powers with a pair of 7581A's and enjoying what I am hearing. Especially used as pre amp out.
Hi @connieflyer. I also am enjoying GL KT88 very much as powers in Elise. Still evaluating 3 driver options:

1. TS 7581A: Very good overall, nice warmth w/o being excessive or "gooey", stage is wide, at times I note a bit less treble extension than I'd like but this in turn make them very non-fatiguing for long listening sessions.
2. GL KT77: Just arrived, I need more time to evaluate. Key initial impression is that midrange is exceptional, vocals really shine, treble about right, perhaps a bit bass-light. Stage is not quite as wide as TS 7581A but a bit more so than the Sylvanias below.
3. Sylvania 6NS7WGT brown (micanol) base: Bought on Ebay, seller thinks they are 1950's vintage NOS, at first listen they are completely noise free and really quite a treat. Treble is the standout, very well-extended but SWEET and non-sibilant, really quite euphonic and delightful. Mids and bass are no slouch, and integrate well into a musically coherent presentation. The bass seemed light at first but now about 10 hours in Elise it is picking up. Stage is definitely not as wide as nor instrument separation as clean as TS 7581A but perhaps that's adding to the coherence and a certain intimacy.

Bottom line, each of these driver pairs brings something positive to the table with GL KT88 powers. I'm enjoying the Sylvanias too much to roll them out right now, but ihe GL KT88's have proved to be a solid foundation as powers for each option. It's wonderful to have such an abundance of good choices with our amps!

Dec 21, 2019 at 7:19 PM Post #7,565 of 11,472
Hi LW,
Re the Sylvania 6SN7WGT, if you look carefully it is possible that there is a date code somewhere - perhaps three letters/numbers under the tube designation on top of the tube or on the glass under the designation? Or some numbers on the base?

Dec 21, 2019 at 11:35 PM Post #7,566 of 11,472
Hi @connieflyer. I also am enjoying GL KT88 very much as powers in Elise. Still evaluating 3 driver options:

1. TS 7581A: Very good overall, nice warmth w/o being excessive or "gooey", stage is wide, at times I note a bit less treble extension than I'd like but this in turn make them very non-fatiguing for long listening sessions.
2. GL KT77: Just arrived, I need more time to evaluate. Key initial impression is that midrange is exceptional, vocals really shine, treble about right, perhaps a bit bass-light. Stage is not quite as wide as TS 7581A but a bit more so than the Sylvanias below.
3. Sylvania 6NS7WGT brown (micanol) base: Bought on Ebay, seller thinks they are 1950's vintage NOS, at first listen they are completely noise free and really quite a treat. Treble is the standout, very well-extended but SWEET and non-sibilant, really quite euphonic and delightful. Mids and bass are no slouch, and integrate well into a musically coherent presentation. The bass seemed light at first but now about 10 hours in Elise it is picking up. Stage is definitely not as wide as nor instrument separation as clean as TS 7581A but perhaps that's adding to the coherence and a certain intimacy.

Bottom line, each of these driver pairs brings something positive to the table with GL KT88 powers. I'm enjoying the Sylvanias too much to roll them out right now, but ihe GL KT88's have proved to be a solid foundation as powers for each option. It's wonderful to have such an abundance of good choices with our amps!

I had a “spare” quad of GLKT77s from my power amp, and while they were very nice as drivers in Euforia, the whole quad sounded simply killer in this amp, in my humble opinion. Mine are matured tubes that sounded fast, nimble, deep, and almost obscenely clear (lol). Bass was tight, deep...powerful. Jazz/lounge/chill/latin/rock all sounded terrific, with kind of a “music hall” spacious, open presentation. You may like different tube flavors, but believe me, you want this quad as your PARTY tubes !

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2019 at 12:23 AM Post #7,567 of 11,472
Decided to order a pair of Genelex Gold Lion KT77's to run as drivers with the KT88's. The 7581A's as drivers are still delivering great music, but decided to give myself a Christmas present, so decided to try the KT77. Won't be here till after Christmas now but at least I guess the Euforia is still giving me great sound and quit looking at alternatives for now. I suppose I will have to stop reading this thread, I promised myself I was not going to buy any more tubes, but reading Johnnysound and Lorwiv and other review, just could not resist!

Dec 22, 2019 at 12:32 AM Post #7,568 of 11,472
Hi LW,
Re the Sylvania 6SN7WGT, if you look carefully it is possible that there is a date code somewhere - perhaps three letters/numbers under the tube designation on top of the tube or on the glass under the designation? Or some numbers on the base?
Thanks @mordy, I would like more precise date of manufacture info. I am heading out of town for the holidays and will take a careful look at the tubes when I return. I appreciate the tip!

Dec 22, 2019 at 2:34 AM Post #7,569 of 11,472

On Elise, for me the KT88 was somehow towards the "dry" sound I do not quite like and the high frequencies were recessed compared to KT66 / 7581A. Have you experienced something like this? If possible, and when you have time, tell me how KT77 are positioning compared to my observations.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #7,570 of 11,472
Hi guys.

Can only manage a quickie at the moment...could spend a day commenting on all the input just recently lol! :wink:

What's becoming increasingly clear is just how system-dependent these KT/7581A tubes really are. Which is not surprising really, given how it's a miracle our amps can have them performing so well...if at all!!! :ksc75smile:

In my own system, for example, the quad of Gold Lion KT88s surpasses quite easily any and all the others (haven't tried the KT77s though)...from bass extension/solidity/detail thru seductive (but not 'bloomy') mids to extended, detailed and sweet treble. And with a soundstage rarely matched let alone surpassed, not to mention separation and positioning...all with excellent PRaT, balance and cohesion. Nothing I have tried until now comes close.

However, even these have to give up their throne to the GEC TT21/22. For me at least, they do indeed take the entire experience to a whole new level...note I say experience lol. At this level of performance, detailed analytical assessments are almost futile and pointless...response on a deeper subconscious level is much more indicative of the sound quality/delivery. But I will just say also that never have I felt bass like this from headphones as opposed to speakers. And this is especially since having the 4th tube in place - ie. 3x TT21s and 1x (12V)TT22.

And so @connieflyer , I personally would say that if you have the chance of a pair (or more!!) of these TT21s - at a 'reasonable' price, grab 'em!! You can use my EL39 adapters fine, but you would need to change the anode wire top cap connector for a larger one, so as to fit the larger top connector of the TT21....GOOD LUCK!!...:)

So, folks, a pic of my Christmas present to me!! :ksc75smile::

DSC_0033.JPG

All I need to do now as a final finish is to slip a larger gold-plated base over the standard black octal base of my adapter, et voila! This is in fact something you might like to do yourselves if in possession of the KT88s, and are as fussy as I am...simply smash out the ceramic pin holder from the bottom and hey presto, it fits nicely up and over the adapter's base...then simply glue it in place...nice 'n neat lol! :smile_phones: Said large bases here :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4pc-8pin-Gold-Ceramic-vacuum-tube-Octal-sockets-base-For-KT88R-audio-amplifier/152641780258?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649 (or ebay.com of course).

ps. However...for those who aren't lucky in finding some affordable TT21s (and who could have modified my EL39 adapters), there just might be something interesting on the horizon...viz the GU50 tube. Despite being less than impressed with the JAC Music guy's take on the Russian Gold Lion KT88s, his recommendation of the GU50 might just have more merit lol! On further research, this tube is looking more intriguing by the day...especially since finding a high-end amp (at $11,000!) that uses these tubes...ie. the (new) AudioValves Assistent 100 MKII :

Capture AV Assistent 100 MKII.PNG

And so now I just wait for the (dirt cheap) tubes to come from Eastern Europe, and see what's what. Trouble is you'd need to use an external 12V heater supply (easy - a cheap 12V laptop charger/power supply) and some 3rd party adapters. But if they can indeed at least come close to the GEC KT88/TT21 - assuming our amps can rise to the challenge once more - then it would still be far cheaper than anything else comparable...so fingers crossed guys :L3000:....CHEERS!...CJ...and BFN

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2019 at 10:03 PM Post #7,571 of 11,472
Those GU50's seem unique. And they don't use a top cap despite the appearance. Here's how they look on another amp.il_570xN.1970045502_e0lt.jpg
Just curious which adapter would they take? However I'm personally not planning this route because of the 12v requirement. And per the mention of either using a 12v laptop charger or battery, the latter would be better sonically however neither are viable I would say. My experiences with a former 12v adapter with another tube (FDD20 with an old cell phone charger, IIRC) produced a hideous buzzing sound, and as for for batteries, that would require a lot of replacing or recharging. Perhaps it would require a linear P/S or larger car battery for best sonic results.

Also I want to point out that my adapter issue was not melted off due to heat. It must have been jostled off, because I checked the heat in the area of the base of my EL39 tubes with my cureent unconventional setup and even without a fan it was still only luke warm after several hours. No problem though as I'm getting by nicely with EL38's in place, and on my way to a new rig.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2019 at 4:05 AM Post #7,573 of 11,472
Well folks...don't even know yet if the GU50 tube will be another possible one for us, but if so I for one have no qualms whatsoever in using a 12V laptop charger/power supply...NOT a cell phone charger as per DecentLevi - that's simply asking for trouble lol! Mine worked perfectly with the FDD20 tube, albeit just needing the negative wire connected to mains Earth...then, total silence. And it's now powering my TT22's heater without any issues whatsoever - every bit as efficiently (and quietly) as the amp itself, so perfectly viable!! No need at all for expensive linear power supplies.

And so I see no reason at all why this shouldn't work just as perfectly for the GU50, but as usual, one can't be 100% sure until tried of course. Will keep y'all informed when the time comes...:smile_phones:...CJ

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #7,574 of 11,472
I'm still near the beginning of this 500+ page thread but so far the only report of headphones used was Beyer T1s. Anybody running Sennheiser 600/650/800/800S out of these? Where is the volume control when you get to the point you can't stand it? I'm a bit concerned about the rated 250 mW output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back