Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Mar 28, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #5,746 of 11,519
Thought I'd try the Furman AC-210 AE. Good luck with those Meze hp's, they certainly look very impressive! :).

I own this model and I have to admit it was a good improvement for me. I wrote about it here in the past:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fel...ost-for-summary.813488/page-728#post-14742673

The only 2 problems I see are:
1) it has only 2 outputs and in the future you might want to add additional equipment to it and you might regret that you chose only this one
2) you cannot use your MCRU No.75 to it since it has IEC Outputs, and to replace its own power cable which is fixed with a wire it does not make sense, I guess you have to filter what comes on the output and not on the input of a power conditioner.

Please see here a detailed picture:

2019-01-26-13-40-50.jpg

There is a MCRU cable for these outputs, No. 48:
https://mcru.co.uk/product/mcru-no-48-mains-power-lead/?v=f5b15f58caba

I quite regret now, after I've seen the improvement, that I have chosen the model with only 2 outputs, but unfortunately Furman does not have so many models for Export (220V).

Mar 28, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #5,747 of 11,519
I own this model and I have to admit it was a good improvement for me. I wrote about it here in the past:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/feliks-audio-elise-impressions-thread-–-a-new-start-please-read-first-post-for-summary.813488/page-728#post-14742673

1) it has only 2 outputs and in the future you might want to add additional equipment to it and you might regret that you chose only this one
2) you cannot use your MCRU No.75 to it since it has IEC Outputs, and to replace its own power cable which is fixed with a wire it does not make sense, I guess you have to filter what comes on the output and not on the input of a power conditioner.

2019-01-26-13-40-50.jpg

I quite regret now, after I've seen the improvement, that I have chosen the model with only 2 outputs, but unfortunately Furman does not have so many models for Export (220V).

Yes this is the problem with the furman conditioners and other pro audio conditioners. Its a shame there doesnt seem to be another obvious UK/ Euro option without jumping up towards the £500+ mark

Mar 28, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #5,748 of 11,519
Yes this is the problem with the furman conditioners and other pro audio conditioners. Its a shame there doesnt seem to be another obvious UK/ Euro option without jumping up towards the £500+ mark

Hi trob...I must admit I'm extremely impressed with my AirlinkTransformers Balanced Mains Conditioning unit with Advanced Filter System - the ASF3000 (5x UK 3-pin outlets). But it is indeed over £700 alas. However, one without said filter system (and 3x UK outlets) is a very reasonable - compared to most other balanced units - £395. But these are extremely heavy beasts lol! :wink:...:https://airlinktransformers.com/cat...-supply?input_voltage=&output_voltage=230&va=

ps. Blast off is tomorrow...I'm shaking already!! :grin::grin:...(better get a move on with the UP-OCC cable to really help 'em along...:ksc75smile:).

pps. It's a real shame Tacima went down the mains 'strip' path...not a patch on the earlier 'proper' conditioner/filter units alas...:triportsad:

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #5,749 of 11,519
Hi trob...I must admit I'm extremely impressed with my AirlinkTransformers Balanced Mains Conditioning unit with Advanced Filter System - the ASF3000 (5x UK 3-pin outlets). But it is indeed over £700 alas. However, one without said filter system (and 3x UK outlets) is a very reasonable - compared to most other balanced units - £395. But these are extremely heavy beasts lol! :wink:...:https://airlinktransformers.com/cat...-supply?input_voltage=&output_voltage=230&va=

ps. Blast off is tomorrow...I'm shaking already!! :grin::grin:...(better get a move on with the UP-OCC cable to really help 'em along...:ksc75smile:).

pps. It's a real shame Tacima went down the mains 'strip' path...not a patch on the earlier 'proper' conditioner/filter units alas...:triportsad:

That’s a more realistic budget and they definitely look good value. My other limiting factor is one of space. This could all fit in my office but I like to listen for pleasure mainly in the living room and there are only so many power supplies i can hide behind the sideboard with my gear in. I think I might have to go down the route of improved power blocks, until we extend our cottage and I get the unmolested listening room of my (pipe) dreams :wink:

Here’s to tomorrow, exciting!!

Mar 28, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #5,750 of 11,519
I'll be really interested to hear your thoughts on Furman conditioner. This is the one area i've not invested beyond tacima power strips which i suspect is the weakest link in the mains supply to all my components. If the Furman works then it looks like a no brainer at that price, because up until now ive resisted purchasing a conditioner because of the cost.

@hypnos1 very excited to hear what you think of the Meze!
I purchased the Furman Elite-15 DM i 13-Outlet Linear Filtering AC Power Source because of the added features, and outlets. I have my pc, NAS, music streamer, Dac, powered speakers, and headphone amp all plugged into the unit. That way everything is protected and the filtering covers all the equipment. Put off buying one because of the price, but considering the $5000 + investment in system, it was not so bad. The difference was obvious from the first turn-on. Sq went up and over all noise was deminished. Did not think I needed one until I got one. Bought this one also as if it did not make an immediate difference I could send it back for full refund. It is not going anywhere. Good luck with yours.
What I like about the Furman is the price, surprise! :wink:, and also the footprint, as the space I have for all my audio gear is very limited, also they seem well made and have a good reputation, trob if I get one I'll let you know how goes.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/feliks-audio-elise-impressions-thread-–-a-new-start-please-read-first-post-for-summary.813488/page-728#post-14742673

2019-01-26-13-40-50.jpg

Thanks for your input O, I think this could still be a good investment for my Euforia/Elise and if I find I need more outputs I can use it on other equipment I have separate from my audio gear, however I haven't bought one yet, as I will also check out h1's suggestion :ksc75smile:.

Mar 28, 2019 at 5:25 PM Post #5,751 of 11,519
s-l1600.jpg
@hypnos1 just a quickie. Those curious EL38/CV450 arrived today in double quick time, just three days from France, anyway gave them a quick warm up tried them for 30 minutes and they sound pretty dull, they may, of course, need burn in, however every EL38 I've tried sounded much better burned in or not, so unless they improve drastically I don't think these are worth looking out for :triportsad:.

Mar 28, 2019 at 10:15 PM Post #5,752 of 11,519

2019-01-26-13-40-50.jpg

Hope I don't ask a silly question, but what happens if you plug in an outlet strip into one of the two plugs? If the equipment you use does not exceed the wattage on that outlet, wouldn't this work?
71FsRZc7YQL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2019 at 3:25 AM Post #5,753 of 11,519
@mordy I am not sure if this is possbile, these outputs look like:

F2110682-01.jpg

So I guess you need compatible IEC cables for them. I have to say that the Furman was a big improvement for me, but I observed also a new smaller one when adding some decent shielded cables to its outputs:

H5FJjde.jpg

Mar 29, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #5,754 of 11,519
Hey @Scutey and @teknorob23 ...re. the AirlinkTransformers Balanced Mains Units - they are very large and very heavy, so it looks as if you'd have to check all these measurements if space is limited lol!!

As for just the 2 outlets of the Furman, @mordy might well have a point regarding doubling up, or more (with reservations), from 1 or both of them. And as he says, no problem power-wise if staying within specification. I personally would want to keep the number limited as much as possible...and as simple as possible (some folks think that even a power indicator light on a strip is undesirable!). Then, any degradation should be kept to a minimum...especially if, as @OctavianH has found, good quality (shielded) power cords are used to any and all equipment :gs1000smile:

Now then folks, while I'm here, I may as well do a bit more teasing and give you my initial impressions of the Meze Empyrean headphones that arrived today.

Well, trob, what can I say?...just that you are now top of my better half's hit list (and I haven't even told her the full truth about price yet...and probably never will!!! :wink: Apart from telling her any future trip to Rhodes is gonna be a long way off alas...:triportsad:).

I had vowed to myself that I wouldn't be making any snap decisions, and that it would all be conducted with due care, diligence and patience...not to mention my (now) usual hyper-analytical dissection lol...huh, so much for that!!:astonished: After less than an hour, I realised there's no way on this Earth could I go back to my beloved souped up T1s...ever!! I'm afraid my cynical self couldn't easily accept everything you said about them, trob, and I'm sorry and apologise for that...you were absolutely spot on! :ksc75smile:

I must admit that the first few tracks I often use for testing purposes - like Mim Grey's 'Purple Sky' and Joni Mitchell's 'A case of you' - gave the emotional feel I look for, but not mind-blowingly better than my T1s.... However...all that changed first of all when I gave Barbra Streisand's 'Guilty' a spin. I knew this was an extremely well recorded album - especially with the EL11/EL38 combo caressing Euforia - but these Empyreans delivered a sound I simply wasn't prepared for....almost sold on them already!

The same thing with more of my favourite test pieces...such as Alan Parson's 'The Turn of a friendly card'...getting nearer to wallet rape! But not long after, I knew I was totally, hopelessly hooked...courtesy of the amazing hi-res remastered (old) version of Holst's 'Planets Suite', with the London Philharmonic Orchestra and Sir Adrian Boult. Just 2 tracks - 'Mars' (of course!) and 'Uranus' had me wanting to return the demo there and then and get my new set prepared for shipment straight away. I have never heard such a sound from headphones...and that includes Utopias out of F-A's Euforia at CanJam London a while back...ie. deal done lol!

So, just what has destroyed all sense and reason?...a good few things actually, like...(apart from incredible quality of manufacture and attention to detail)...in short...

1. Unlike generally held views regarding planar magnetic cans - viz OTL amps not really able to do them full justice - Euforia (with EL11/38 tubes in situ) drives these Empyreans as if specifically made for each other. Totally effortless and with complete authority and control...in fact, my amp has to drive both these and my T1s at the same time...and no hint whatsoever of a struggle. Indeed, these 31.6 ohm planars deliver a louder output than the Beyers!

2. Bass is quite extraordinary...I thought I'd got my T1s digging really deep, but there's no comparison - extends much further; with good sub-bass, and a lot more detail throughout the lower frequencies and into the mids, which are deliciously full. But, fortunately, not so much as to intrude on the higher frequencies....(unless very sensitive to bass, that is!).

3. Treble : at first I thought the upper ranges to be a tad light on T1 'sparkle' and subsequent 'air'...something that wasn't liked too much by a member on the US loaner program. This is an area where the T1s excel IMHO, and does help give a bit more spacious and 'cavernous' quality to the sound, coupled with a bit extra reverb. However, after hearing the Meze's delivery, I now realise that such 'artifacts' are indeed that...ie. slightly unnatural, and not really true....shattering my illusions in the process!! :astonished:...(despite having come to rather like them!).
Upper frequencies still extend well, again with lots of detail across the range. Cymbals, for example, have just the right amount of 'splash', and wonderful decay.

And so what really strikes you about these cans is their natural sound...what some would call organic, I suppose. Everything is wonderfully balanced, with excellent separation and placement...voices are positioned so as to be 'intimate', but without seeming too forward, and definitely not recessed in any way.

I could go into much more intricate detail re. specific instrument and voice qualities, but I think you've probably got the picture by now. Together, the Empyrean's abilities turn those tracks I mentioned from Holst's 'Planets' into an experience more akin to being there in the concert hall than I've ever heard before...but with even better focus/imagery/soundstage than most halls can ever manage lol! :wink: The sound of bass drums; tubas; horns; bassoons, trumpets et al coming straight at - and around! - you in 'Mars' is one that sent shivers up my spine...along with more delicate upper frequency sections from other movements...truly awe-inspiring.

ps. Electronic instruments, not just acoustic, have an energy, drive and attack that is also spine-tingling...when done well, that is!

These particular planars have finally justified all I have been doing these past years in upgrading the rest of my system, and confirmed once again that given the chance, Euforia can perform to a level way beyond most folks' understanding/belief...

So, folks, in conclusion I would say give them a listen some time, if you get the chance. However...once you hear what these headphones can do, I doubt you'd ever be happy going back to your old ones alas! And just might have you turn bank robber lol...:triportsad::ksc75smile:...CHEERS!...CJ

And as a further tease, just a few pics for you :

P1020081.JPG P1020082.JPG P1020083.JPG P1020084.JPG P1020085.JPG

Thought the T1s were a fair size...but are dwarfed by the Empyreans!! And just look at those earpads...enormous!!

ps Did I say?...these are the most comfortable headphones imaginable...:smile_phones:

pps. Thanks a million trob...even if my wallet doesn't reciprocate lol! :) :)

ppps. And all this goodness before I treat them to my replacement DIY UP-OCC silver and copper cable!!...can't wait...

pppps. I must say many thanks once again to Hifonix here in the UK (especially Aseem) for their splendid help and service in letting me have a pair on demo at home, with no obligation to purchase. With free delivery and 2 year warranty, this has to be one of the best deals around!

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #5,755 of 11,519
Well, at least there is one thing which is properly produced in Romania. LOL

If you decide to keep them, what I already think you've done, can you tell us the difference between the different ear pads and how hard is to exchange them? Because I see you have a spare part there which I think will provide you a different sound signature.

PS. For 31.6 Ohm I was curious to see if a tube amp handles them with care.

Mar 29, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #5,756 of 11,519
Well, at least there is one thing which is properly produced in Romania. LOL

If you decide to keep them, what I already think you've done, can you tell us the difference between the different ear pads and how hard is to exchange them? Because I see you have a spare part there which I think will provide you a different sound signature.

PS. For 31.6 Ohm I was curious to see if a tube amp handles them with care.

Hi OH...yep, would sell my Mother - and better half to get these!! But luckily - for me! - gonna spend some savings that are simply losing value by the day lol! :triportsad:

Haven't yet got round to trying the leather pads...will have to wait 'til tomorrow. I do believe they simply attach straight on via magnets...how cool/convenient is that?!! Every aspect of design and construction of these beauties is quite breathtaking...something I never indeed suspected would come out of Romania :ksc75smile:... (no insult intended!). And yes again, I'm totally dumbfounded that headphones supposedly 'not ideal' for OTL amps are performing so spectacularly...but don't forget, Euforia + EL11/38s is rather special lol! :wink:...with a helping hand from the rest of the system, of course :L3000:...

(Better go keep my good lady company, before she vetoes my dream-come-true!...so BFN folks...).

Mar 29, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #5,757 of 11,519
They're great looking cans h1!, good to hear you're enjoying them, I guess :wink:, if you want to get them best not tell your better half how much they cost, wives, as I'm sure you know, and mine included, don't always understand these things that us guys just have to do! :wink::ksc75smile:.

Mar 29, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #5,758 of 11,519
Every aspect of design and construction of these beauties is quite breathtaking...something I never indeed suspected would come out of Romania :ksc75smile:... (no insult intended!).

Romania is a country of contrasts and most probably exactly what you are not expecting to find when watching TV news. I am also shocked when reading news about Romania so I fully understand the "reluctance" one might have. I fully agree with it and also share it in some way.
But Transylvania is very different from the southern / eastern part and this is the area where I live. Meze Audio are in the Northern part of Transylvania, so you can be sure they really do quality stuff there :D What to say, we have very good wine, food, vampires and Meze Empyrean even if 99% of the country cannot afford them. :D

Anyway, just to avoid confusion that I live in a cave, this is my town:

Of course, beware of the southern / eastern part where I have to admit I also avoid to travel since I really hate the crowded traffic and "hell drivers".

PS. There is also a custom tube amp builder here but he is making mostly "speakers" models. You can see 2 of his "works" here:
https://www.audioweb.ro/anunturi/vanzatori-acceptati/viobio/

Mar 29, 2019 at 7:40 PM Post #5,759 of 11,519
Just wondered if anybody has tried Tung Sol 5998's with EL11 drivers? I've got that combination in both Elise and Euforia at the moment and I'm really liking this combo. I've read most of the Elise/Euforia threads and don't remember seeing any comments. My reasoning for giving this a shot was I consider EL 11 my best drivers and 5998 my best non EL powers so wondered how they might sound together. Would be interested in any views if only to prove my 67 years old ears are still up to all this tube rolling. Cheers.

I have used EL11 with 5998 in Euforia before. EL 11 is on the lean side. EL11/5998 worked quite well with T1 and HD65X. I personally prefer warmer drivers for HD800 or HD600.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back