Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Mar 23, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #5,716 of 11,473
Interesting times here on the thread. You can, at least, tell us if the new project is headphone related, because if not, I would not be very interested in it. :)

OK, OH...you seem quite adept at teasing that bit extra out of me lol!! :wink:...so...ssshhh... a clue : 'Special Anniversary Edition'...and that's it for now :ksc75smile:...CJ

Mar 23, 2019 at 8:58 PM Post #5,717 of 11,473
ps @Scutey ...those EL38s you showed just now are certainly new to me. Never seen any like that before. Should prove very interesting to see just how they compare to the 'pretty' ones lol :smile_phones:
OK, OH...you seem quite adept at teasing that bit extra out of me lol!! :wink:...so...ssshhh... a clue : 'Special Anniversary Edition'...and that's it for now :ksc75smile:...CJ
Yes I've not seen them before either, seem quite different to the others, I was just doing one of my regular searches and they came up, from a french seller so i'm assuming that's where they were made, and as you say they are certainly no looker, but if they sound good, I'll be happy for them ugly ducklings!.

ps as for the titbit of info on the F.A flagship, you realy are a tease! :ksc75smile:.

pps, The unit no for my Euforia is 101, finally hit three figures! :thumbsup:.

Mar 24, 2019 at 3:06 AM Post #5,719 of 11,473
I have both the Elise and the Euforia and have compared them - the Euforia has more of everything. The Elise sounds leaner and the Euforia more fleshed out.
Based on my experience you may need around 150 hours until the Euforia is fully burned in.

I can concur on both points. My new euforia has been playing since it arrived, so it on about 65 hours. Not quite as lucid and the seperation is quite the old one was, but it showed a marked improvement at 24hrs. Still thoroughly addictive listening, i managed 1-4 zepplin albums back to back last night having not listened to any for 10+ years. What the hugo2/euforia/el38/stellias do with guitars is something else :):)

Mar 24, 2019 at 6:13 AM Post #5,720 of 11,473
Yes I've not seen them before either, seem quite different to the others, I was just doing one of my regular searches and they came up, from a french seller so i'm assuming that's where they were made, and as you say they are certainly no looker, but if they sound good, I'll be happy for them ugly ducklings!.

ps as for the titbit of info on the F.A flagship, you realy are a tease! :ksc75smile:.

pps, The unit no for my Euforia is 101, finally hit three figures! :thumbsup:.

Yo S...looking forward to how those strange EL38s sound. Would never have said they were 38s if it wasn't written on the label lol!! :wink:

101+ Euforias?...even better than I ever thought!! :beyersmile:...Well done F-A...

ps. Just to avoid any possible confusion(?!), the 'Special Anniversary Edition' isn't re. the new flagship lol :grin::grin:...

I can concur on both points. My new euforia has been playing since it arrived, so it on about 65 hours. Not quite as lucid and the seperation is quite the old one was, but it showed a marked improvement at 24hrs. Still thoroughly addictive listening, i managed 1-4 zepplin albums back to back last night having not listened to any for 10+ years. What the hugo2/euforia/el38/stellias do with guitars is something else :):)

Hi trob.

Yes indeed, guitars (in my case, steel acoustic especially)) - amongst other things! - sound absolutely delicious with that combo...even with T1s as opposed to your Focals!

And as @mordy says, 150 hrs (if not more!) should fill out any gaps that may appear to be missing at the moment. But if you want to experience really incredible separation/placement, 'just' try to introduce somewhere in the system some of that Neotech UP-OCC silver/gold alloy wire!! After a week's burn-in, even just in a short (30cm) length of digital coax, the difference still confounds me lol :ksc75smile:. However, of course, Euforia's more 'fleshed out' delivery will always alter other aspects of sound presentation compared to Elise :wink:.

ps. I shall take your advice and see if any of those Meze distributors will let me do home demo on the Empyreans...but be prepared to incur the wrath of 'She who must be obeyed' if I fall in love with 'em!!! :L3000::L3000:...CHEERS!...

Mar 24, 2019 at 7:31 AM Post #5,721 of 11,473
Yo S...looking forward to how those strange EL38s sound. Would never have said they were 38s if it wasn't written on the label lol!! :wink:

101+ Euforias?...even better than I ever thought!! :beyersmile:...Well done F-A...

ps. Just to avoid any possible confusion(?!), the 'Special Anniversary Edition' isn't re. the new flagship lol :grin::grin:...
Yes I had to do a double take on those tubes too, they are definitely different construction, anyway, I shall do a review when they turn up.
I have both the Elise and the Euforia and have compared them - the Euforia has more of everything. The Elise sounds leaner and the Euforia more fleshed out.
Based on my experience you may need around 150 hours until the Euforia is fully burned in.
That was my thought too on hearing Euforia for the first time too, last evevning I couldn't resist doing a brief comparison of both amps using Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon, the difference between the two amps is quite startling, Euforia has a much meatier presentation, especially in the mids.

Trob you're way ahead of me in burn in, I'm only at 14 hours, are you leaving your amp running continuously with hp's plugged in?.

ps Led Zep vol 1-4 some of my all time fave albums, love em! :o2smile:.

Mar 24, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #5,722 of 11,473
technorob23 as far as burning in, I would not leave the amp on 23-7. What CJ and I recommend is cycling it on and off. Letting it run for about 8 hours and shutting down for at least an hour. This is how I burned mine in, and have a very stable platform. The amp does build up heat over a period of time, and while it "probably" would not be a problem, heat is the enemy of the electronic components. A little slower build up of on time, but you are going to be using this amp for a long time and want it to last. The other thing of course, is "if" it did overheat in the middle of the night, would not be a good outcome for surrounding area, or amp. Arriving at a particular amount of burn in is not the goal. Enjoying the results of it is what you want to hear. It may take your amp a little longer or perhaps less. But then you also have to consider the tubes you use. I used some tubes that I knew I would not be using as my main tubes, downside is once I found the tubes I wanted, still had to burn them in for a period of time. The El's take a goodly amount of time to reach their best, so your amp is going to get more burn in then. Good luck.

Mar 24, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #5,723 of 11,473
Hi @Scutey , @teknorob23 ...and anyone else who may have missed our past recommendations...I can only reinforce what @connieflyer has said re. burning in of equipment - ie

1. Never leave the house with a tube amp running! Although only very small, the risk of either a tube blowing, or a component in the amp 'frying', is simply not worth taking lol :wink:.

2. The concensus for burning in time -with headphones attached - is between 5 to 8 hrs playing, then an hour or so cool off.

I would also add a reminder to always turn the volume down to zero before switching off the amp.

Plus, best to let the tubes warm up for a minute or so before turning up the volume.

Not to mention that even though always handling tubes by their base (which you've secured to the glass with more glue, of course!).... if tight in an adapter for example, don't work too hard at pulling to remove it...especially big old tubes. Use a strong, small blade or flat-ended screwdriver to gradually work around the bottom of the base, prising it up a little as you go. I myself found this almost essential with the socket I used for my EL11/12 test adapter....Be careful out there, guys!! :L3000::L3000:...CJ

Mar 24, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #5,724 of 11,473
Mar 24, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #5,725 of 11,473
Hi h1, that's exactly what I've been doing, 6/8 hours, then a cool off, I always err on the side of caution, however it's always good to have confirmation though :thumbsup:.

On another note, Euforia seems to be far less forgiving with tubes and of recordings, anything that's old, and or poorly recorded/mixed is ruthlessly exposed by this amp.

Mar 24, 2019 at 9:29 PM Post #5,726 of 11,473
Hi h1, that's exactly what I've been doing, 6/8 hours, then a cool off, I always err on the side of caution, however it's always good to have confirmation though :thumbsup:.

On another note, Euforia seems to be far less forgiving with tubes and of recordings, anything that's old, and or poorly recorded/mixed is ruthlessly exposed by this amp.
I think that the sound will become more beautiful and forgiving as the amp burns in. BTW, are the tubes new as well?

Mar 25, 2019 at 7:13 AM Post #5,727 of 11,473

Hi S.

As an extension to what @mordy said, I must say that my own system has gone through various Jekyll and Hyde stages in this regard...both interesting and perplexing lol!

Its highly resolving nature can indeed be both a blessing and a curse...it will indeed shine a blinding light on poorly engineered/recorded material, while revelling in that produced by those who know what they're doing lol! :ksc75smile:...and yet, I have spun very old recordings that I expected to sound awful through cans - such as Peter, Paul and Mary tracks - and been amazed at just how good they were (making allowance for stereo imaging, of course!). And some that didn't sound too good at first, do seem to have been handled more 'flatteringly' as the amp - plus tubes and cables - have matured... (perhaps brain adaptation also lol?!! :wink:).

Fortunately, I myself now have very few favourite pieces of music that allowances can't be made for...the rest more than make up for them!...CHEERS!...CJ

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2019 at 7:42 AM Post #5,728 of 11,473
Hi S.

As an extension to what @mordy said, I must say that my own system has gone through various Jekyll and Hyde stages in this regard...both interesting and perplexing lol!

Its highly resolving nature can indeed be both a blessing and a curse...it will indeed shine a blinding light on poorly engineered/recorded material, while revelling in that produced by those who know what they're doing lol! :ksc75smile:...and yet, I have spun very old recordings that I expected to sound awful through cans - such as Peter, Paul and Mary tracks - and been amazed at just how good they were (making allowance for stereo imaging, of course!). And some that didn't sound too good at first, do seem to have been handled more 'flatteringly' as the amp - plus tubes and cables - have matured... (perhaps brain adaptation also lol?!! :wink:).

Fortunately, I myself now have very few favourite pieces of music that allowances can't be made for...the rest more than make up for them!...CHEERS!...CJ

Yes it's weird i'm not finding the Euphoria if anything slightly more sympathetic than for example listening to the Hugo direct. The fact that it brings a bit more body weight, depth and texture to the music is actually helping, especially when listening to early nineties indie albums, like MBV Loveless, Teenage Fanclub and the like, A lot of the production was a bit a thin, but I'm find the euphoria has had me rattling through these albums afresh and enjoying them from a production POV in the same way i am contemporary recordings. I guess this is also influenced by the other components in your listening set-up and whether the Euphoria is following the tonal/ performance trend of your system, or whether its out performing or going in a different direction. Just a thought :wink:

Mar 25, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #5,729 of 11,473
Yes it's weird i'm not finding the Euphoria if anything slightly more sympathetic than for example listening to the Hugo direct. The fact that it brings a bit more body weight, depth and texture to the music is actually helping, especially when listening to early nineties indie albums, like MBV Loveless, Teenage Fanclub and the like, A lot of the production was a bit a thin, but I'm find the euphoria has had me rattling through these albums afresh and enjoying them from a production POV in the same way i am contemporary recordings. I guess this is also influenced by the other components in your listening set-up and whether the Euphoria is following the tonal/ performance trend of your system, or whether its out performing or going in a different direction. Just a thought :wink:

Hi trob.

Yes indeed...you raise a very good question about just what is happening where within the entire sound reproduction chain...in my own case recently for example, just why should there have been such a difference simply by adding a short length of that silver/gold alloy wire to my digital coax cable? What synergy precisely is going on with Euforia...was it simply following, by responding to different frequencies/cues transmitted by the wire as a result of its potential?...(most likely IMHO). Or is something else going on? Perhaps it's dependent on interaction with other elements in the system also? And then there's the conundrum of others not necessarily finding the same results!! :triportsad:...
I'm sure this whole subject of synergy is far more complex than we ever realise lol! :wink:

ps. Glad you too find that Euforia improves - not just changes - Hugo2's direct sound out...even though Bob Watts may not agree!! :ksc75smile:

Mar 25, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #5,730 of 11,473
Guys...more and more great reviews of Euforia keep popping up, which is very encouraging. Just thought you might be interested in this one, with Euforia being used as one of the amps to partner a review of the Meze Empyrean headphones (which are tempting me more by the day @teknorob23 !! :wink:)...CHEERS!...CJ : https://www.headfonia.com/review-meze-audio-empyrean/4/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back