Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Mar 25, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #5,731 of 11,472
Mar 25, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #5,732 of 11,472
Hi CJ, I read that last week, as well as several others, and I must admit, I am tempted as well. There are some here on Headfi for sale, I considered one in particular, but it was the gold tone, and I don't like that one at all. Reading the reviews, they may be bringing out limited editions with a few different colors to the aluminum grills. Short runs to be sure, but I do prefer the black. I am in search of someone, or a dealer here in the States that may have one I could demo. At $3 grand, don't want to risk it. "YET"

https://headfonics.com/2019/01/meze-empyrean-first-contact/ this shows the gold tone, the unique voice coil is also interesting

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #5,734 of 11,472
Hi S.

As an extension to what @mordy said, I must say that my own system has gone through various Jekyll and Hyde stages in this regard...both interesting and perplexing lol!

Its highly resolving nature can indeed be both a blessing and a curse...it will indeed shine a blinding light on poorly engineered/recorded material, while revelling in that produced by those who know what they're doing lol! :ksc75smile:...and yet, I have spun very old recordings that I expected to sound awful through cans - such as Peter, Paul and Mary tracks - and been amazed at just how good they were (making allowance for stereo imaging, of course!). And some that didn't sound too good at first, do seem to have been handled more 'flatteringly' as the amp - plus tubes and cables - have matured... (perhaps brain adaptation also lol?!! :wink:).

Fortunately, I myself now have very few favourite pieces of music that allowances can't be made for...the rest more than make up for them!...CHEERS!...CJ
Hi h1, One thing for sure, Euforia is not merely an improved Elise but has a sound sig all of it's own, separate to Elise. Euforia is also doing the same thing as Elise did when coming from a Little Dot mkIII, almost everything I'm listening to sounds different, another point you hit on that I've come to believe as you said brain adaptation, I've been listening to my Elise almost every day for the last 1.5 years, so that IMO must be a factor too, anyway I shall keep going, and must remind myself it took me awhile to get in to the Elise, so I think it's a case of patience is a virtue! :).

Mar 26, 2019 at 5:16 AM Post #5,735 of 11,472
Hi h1, One thing for sure, Euforia is not merely an improved Elise but has a sound sig all of it's own, separate to Elise. Euforia is also doing the same thing as Elise did when coming from a Little Dot mkIII, almost everything I'm listening to sounds different, another point you hit on that I've come to believe as you said brain adaptation, I've been listening to my Elise almost every day for the last 1.5 years, so that IMO must be a factor too, anyway I shall keep going, and must remind myself it took me awhile to get in to the Elise, so I think it's a case of patience is a virtue! :).

Ah well, S...at least it shouldn't be too onerous a task lol!! :wink:

ps. Something else I found (which others also noticed) and mentioned a long time ago now with Elise, and even more so with Euforia...there seem to be certain stages of tube development - especially with the EL family - when suddenly, after a 'resting' period, there appears to be a more-than-usual leap in performance...strange! :L3000: Yet another (for me) fascinating aspect of this tube amp hobby of ours...(still so much to learn/discover! :ksc75smile:).

Mar 26, 2019 at 7:03 PM Post #5,738 of 11,472
Well a simple change of cable has improved the sound of my Euforia drastically!, swapping out a £100 MCRU power cable for the cheapo stock cable seems to have made all the difference, go figure! :dt880smile:.

Agreed they make a big difference. The MCRU mains cables have way out-performed vs their cost in my system too, with my bryston streamer and the euforia showing the greatest improvement. You really notice the difference if you switch back to a stock cable.

Mar 27, 2019 at 7:10 AM Post #5,739 of 11,472
Well a simple change of cable has improved the sound of my Euforia drastically!, swapping out a £100 MCRU power cable for the cheapo stock cable seems to have made all the difference, go figure! :dt880smile:.

Hi S.

I presume - nay hope - you do indeed mean you swapped the stock cable for that MCRU one lol?!! :wink:

I know some folks do balk at much better quality mains/power cables making any real difference, but I too - along with many others - have been surprised at how they surely can! :ksc75smile:

Now all you need to do, of course, is get yourself some really nice mains conditioning/filtering - no cheapies here, please! (preferably with Balanced Mains function), and see Euforia get an even bigger smile on her face...you only live once!! :smile_phones:...(I promise I shan't pass you by as you huddle in the shopfront!!! :triportsad::beyersmile:)....CHEERS!...CJ

ps. Sorry to keep plugging this point, bit I'm convinced this is yet another example of Euforia's upgrades enabling better upscale performance in line with any and all other upgrades to the system...even compared to Elise lol...:L3000:

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2019 at 9:40 AM Post #5,740 of 11,472
I will of course, agree with CJ, I replaced all my power cables with aftermarket cables, and the difference was apparent. However, the biggest change in Sq, was when I purchased a Fuman Linear Power Conditioner. This single change, made the biggest impact on music streamed from my NAS, even the internet connected music system containing all the speakers and amplifier. Did not really care for the way it sounded before the conditioner, but afterwards, with all the headphone related equipment running through it, sound improved considerably. Now I enjoy streaming from the NAS to the main system and sounds so much better. Not cheap, but then, considering what I have spent on the headphone system, tubes rolled, Dac, streamer, cables, and NAS, it fit right in. Plus now all the equipment is protected through the Furman. May get another for my main system, to replace an aging power center.

Mar 27, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #5,741 of 11,472
Hi S.

I presume - nay hope - you do indeed mean you swapped the stock cable for that MCRU one lol?!! :wink:

I know some folks do balk at much better quality mains/power cables making any real difference, but I too - along with many others - have been surprised at how they surely can! :ksc75smile:

Now all you need to do, of course, is get yourself some really nice mains conditioning/filtering - no cheapies here, please! (preferably with Balanced Mains function), and see Euforia get an even bigger smile on her face...you only live once!! :smile_phones:...(I promise I shan't pass you by as you huddle in the shopfront!!! :triportsad::beyersmile:)....CHEERS!...CJ

ps. Sorry to keep plugging this point, bit I'm convinced this is yet another example of Euforia's upgrades enabling better upscale performance in line with any and all other upgrades to the system...even compared to Elise lol...:L3000:
I will of course, agree with CJ, I replaced all my power cables with aftermarket cables, and the difference was apparent. However, the biggest change in Sq, was when I purchased a Fuman Linear Power Conditioner. This single change, made the biggest impact on music streamed from my NAS, even the internet connected music system containing all the speakers and amplifier. Did not really care for the way it sounded before the conditioner, but afterwards, with all the headphone related equipment running through it, sound improved considerably. Now I enjoy streaming from the NAS to the main system and sounds so much better. Not cheap, but then, considering what I have spent on the headphone system, tubes rolled, Dac, streamer, cables, and NAS, it fit right in. Plus now all the equipment is protected through the Furman. May get another for my main system, to replace an aging power center.
Ok brace yourself h1.... I was talking about the cheapo stock cable! :astonished:, yes I know!, however after checking and putting MCRU cable back it did improve the sound over the stock cable, I'm still not sure what the problem was, anyway the aftermarket cable is now finally earning it's keep, also you'll also be pleased, nay relieved to hear :wink: that i'm going to get mains conditioner, hopefully next week :ksc75smile:.

Mar 28, 2019 at 4:22 AM Post #5,742 of 11,472
Ok brace yourself h1.... I was talking about the cheapo stock cable! :astonished:, yes I know!, however after checking and putting MCRU cable back it did improve the sound over the stock cable, I'm still not sure what the problem was, anyway the aftermarket cable is now finally earning it's keep, also you'll also be pleased, nay relieved to hear :wink: that i'm going to get mains conditioner, hopefully next week :ksc75smile:.

Phew!!, S...you nearly gave me a heart attack lol! :wink:

Strange indeed...I know sometimes the power lead to the amp needs an extra push to make proper contact, but one would think in that case it's either working or not??!! And another possible area in some cases is if a mains cable's shielding (if present) has been connected to the ground pin(s)...or not!!...trial and error needed here...(sometimes very strange things can happen lol! :confused:)

Ah well, glad that all is now fine and that you are in fact noticing benefit from the better cable. Great news also about the imminent mains conditioning...can one ask what you've gone for? :ksc75smile:

Mind you, I bet your wallet isn't getting hammered as badly as mine is most probably going to suffer very soon...thanks to @teknorob23 . Have found a distributor here in the UK for the Meze Empyrean headphones who offers to send out a no obligation, 'TBYB' demo pair...so long as you make a pending order payment, which is fair enough IMHO. So, feelings of excitement and trepidation at the moment. They look beautifully made, and by all accounts sound tremendous...not your 'typical' planar magnetic delivery it appears (which I'm glad about, as I do love the conventional 'dynamic' family sound). Plus, they seem to like OTL amps better than most other planars. But they're not cheap, of course!! :triportsad: So they're really gonna have to blow my souped up T1s right out of the water for my wallet to bleed...(hope you're right, trob...but I'll be heartbroken, you realise!! :sob::sob:)....CHEERS!...CJ

Mar 28, 2019 at 7:19 AM Post #5,744 of 11,472
Thought I'd try the Furman AC-210 AE. Good luck with those Meze hp's, they certainly look very impressive! :).

I'll be really interested to hear your thoughts on Furman conditioner. This is the one area i've not invested beyond tacima power strips which i suspect is the weakest link in the mains supply to all my components. If the Furman works then it looks like a no brainer at that price, because up until now ive resisted purchasing a conditioner because of the cost.

@hypnos1 very excited to hear what you think of the Meze!

Mar 28, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #5,745 of 11,472
I purchased the Furman Elite-15 DM i 13-Outlet Linear Filtering AC Power Source because of the added features, and outlets. I have my pc, NAS, music streamer, Dac, powered speakers, and headphone amp all plugged into the unit. That way everything is protected and the filtering covers all the equipment. Put off buying one because of the price, but considering the $5000 + investment in system, it was not so bad. The difference was obvious from the first turn-on. Sq went up and over all noise was deminished. Did not think I needed one until I got one. Bought this one also as if it did not make an immediate difference I could send it back for full refund. It is not going anywhere. Good luck with yours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back