Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Mar 29, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #5,761 of 11,519
Hey @Scutey and @teknorob23 ...re. the AirlinkTransformers Balanced Mains Units - they are very large and very heavy, so it looks as if you'd have to check all these measurements if space is limited lol!!

As for just the 2 outlets of the Furman, @mordy might well have a point regarding doubling up, or more (with reservations), from 1 or both of them. And as he says, no problem power-wise if staying within specification. I personally would want to keep the number limited as much as possible...and as simple as possible (some folks think that even a power indicator light on a strip is undesirable!). Then, any degradation should be kept to a minimum...especially if, as @OctavianH has found, good quality (shielded) power cords are used to any and all equipment :gs1000smile:

Now then folks, while I'm here, I may as well do a bit more teasing and give you my initial impressions of the Meze Empyrean headphones that arrived today.

Well, trob, what can I say?...just that you are now top of my better half's hit list (and I haven't even told her the full truth about price yet...and probably never will!!! :wink: Apart from telling her any future trip to Rhodes is gonna be a long way off alas...:triportsad:).

I had vowed to myself that I wouldn't be making any snap decisions, and that it would all be conducted with due care, diligence and patience...not to mention my (now) usual hyper-analytical dissection lol...huh, so much for that!!:astonished: After less than an hour, I realised there's no way on this Earth could I go back to my beloved souped up T1s...ever!! I'm afraid my cynical self couldn't easily accept everything you said about them, trob, and I'm sorry and apologise for that...you were absolutely spot on! :ksc75smile:

I must admit that the first few tracks I often use for testing purposes - like Mim Grey's 'Purple Sky' and Joni Mitchell's 'A case of you' - gave the emotional feel I look for, but not mind-blowingly better than my T1s.... However...all that changed first of all when I gave Barbra Streisand's 'Guilty' a spin. I knew this was an extremely well recorded album - especially with the EL11/EL38 combo caressing Euforia - but these Empyreans delivered a sound I simply wasn't prepared for....almost sold on them already!

The same thing with more of my favourite test pieces...such as Alan Parson's 'The Turn of a friendly card'...getting nearer to wallet rape! But not long after, I knew I was totally, hopelessly hooked...courtesy of the amazing hi-res remastered (old) version of Holst's 'Planets Suite', with the London Philharmonic Orchestra and Sir Adrian Boult. Just 2 tracks - 'Mars' (of course!) and 'Uranus' had me wanting to return the demo there and then and get my new set prepared for shipment straight away. I have never heard such a sound from headphones...and that includes Utopias out of F-A's Euforia at CanJam London a while back...ie. deal done lol!

So, just what has destroyed all sense and reason?...a good few things actually, like...(apart from incredible quality of manufacture and attention to detail)...in short...

1. Unlike generally held views regarding planar magnetic cans - viz OTL amps not really able to do them full justice - Euforia (with EL11/38 tubes in situ) drives these Empyreans as if specifically made for each other. Totally effortless and with complete authority and control...in fact, my amp has to drive both these and my T1s at the same time...and no hint whatsoever of a struggle. Indeed, these 31.6 ohm planars deliver a louder output than the Beyers!

2. Bass is quite extraordinary...I thought I'd got my T1s digging really deep, but there's no comparison - extends much further; with good sub-bass, and a lot more detail throughout the lower frequencies and into the mids, which are deliciously full. But, fortunately, not so much as to intrude on the higher frequencies....(unless very sensitive to bass, that is!).

3. Treble : at first I thought the upper ranges to be a tad light on T1 'sparkle' and subsequent 'air'...something that wasn't liked too much by a member on the US loaner program. This is an area where the T1s excel IMHO, and does help give a bit more spacious and 'cavernous' quality to the sound, coupled with a bit extra reverb. However, after hearing the Meze's delivery, I now realise that such 'artifacts' are indeed that...ie. slightly unnatural, and not really true....shattering my illusions in the process!! :astonished:...(despite having come to rather like them!).
Upper frequencies still extend well, again with lots of detail across the range. Cymbals, for example, have just the right amount of 'splash', and wonderful decay.

And so what really strikes you about these cans is their natural sound...what some would call organic, I suppose. Everything is wonderfully balanced, with excellent separation and placement...voices are positioned so as to be 'intimate', but without seeming too forward, and definitely not recessed in any way.

I could go into much more intricate detail re. specific instrument and voice qualities, but I think you've probably got the picture by now. Together, the Empyrean's abilities turn those tracks I mentioned from Holst's 'Planets' into an experience more akin to being there in the concert hall than I've ever heard before...but with even better focus/imagery/soundstage than most halls can ever manage lol! :wink: The sound of bass drums; tubas; horns; bassoons, trumpets et al coming straight at - and around! - you in 'Mars' is one that sent shivers up my spine...along with more delicate upper frequency sections from other movements...truly awe-inspiring.

ps. Electronic instruments, not just acoustic, have an energy, drive and attack that is also spine-tingling...when done well, that is!

These particular planars have finally justified all I have been doing these past years in upgrading the rest of my system, and confirmed once again that given the chance, Euforia can perform to a level way beyond most folks' understanding/belief...

So, folks, in conclusion I would say give them a listen some time, if you get the chance. However...once you hear what these headphones can do, I doubt you'd ever be happy going back to your old ones alas! And just might have you turn bank robber lol...:triportsad::ksc75smile:...CHEERS!...CJ

And as a further tease, just a few pics for you :

Thought the T1s were a fair size...but are dwarfed by the Empyreans!! And just look at those earpads...enormous!!

ps Did I say?...these are the most comfortable headphones imaginable...:smile_phones:

pps. Thanks a million trob...even if my wallet doesn't reciprocate lol! :) :)

ppps. And all this goodness before I treat them to my replacement DIY UP-OCC silver and copper cable!!...can't wait...

I don’t know whether to apologise or congratulate you :wink: :)

Mar 30, 2019 at 7:54 AM Post #5,762 of 11,519
Romania is a country of contrasts and most probably exactly what you are not expecting to find when watching TV news. I am also shocked when reading news about Romania so I fully understand the "reluctance" one might have. I fully agree with it and also share it in some way.
But Transylvania is very different from the southern / eastern part and this is the area where I live. Meze Audio are in the Northern part of Transylvania, so you can be sure they really do quality stuff there :D What to say, we have very good wine, food, vampires and Meze Empyrean even if 99% of the country cannot afford them. :D

Anyway, just to avoid confusion that I live in a cave, this is my town:

Of course, beware of the southern / eastern part where I have to admit I also avoid to travel since I really hate the crowded traffic and "hell drivers".

PS. There is also a custom tube amp builder here but he is making mostly "speakers" models. You can see 2 of his "works" here:
https://www.audioweb.ro/anunturi/vanzatori-acceptati/viobio/

That's one beautiful part of the world you live in OH...never realised Romania could look like that lol! :smile_phones:...However, as you say, I'm sure not all the country looks the same! :wink:...(which can also be said of our 'Green and pleasant land' nowadays alas...:triportsad:). Transylvania is evidently the home of the more-than-average discerning citizen...:ksc75smile:...as witnessed by the wonderful craftsmanship of these Meze Empyreans - truly a work of art, as well as sounding tremendous.

Afraid trying the leather pads may well have to wait 'til tomorrow, but will certainly give them a go before returning these demos on Monday. Don't need any longer to make up my mind - that was done within the first hour yesterday lol...so I want my very own pair ASAP!!

And fear not @Scutey ...despite the good lady still trying to fish for the truth, I will (nay must) stay firm...certainly a case of 'ignorance is bliss' methinks! :wink:

ps. Was that possibly Vlad's ghost I glimpsed in one of those beautiful castles? Or was he in a more remote mountain location?! :)...CHEERS!...CJ

Mar 30, 2019 at 8:01 AM Post #5,763 of 11,519
I don’t know whether to apologise or congratulate you :wink: :)

Certainly no need to apologise to me, trob...the more of my favourite tracks I hear, the more I'm falling hopelessly in love with these Empyreans.

Did I mention last time just how gorgeously smooth these things sound?...well I have now - sounds swimming effortlessly around my head hardly begins to describe the experience lol...:):)...

ps. @Scutey ...Have those strange looking EL38s improved at all? Hope so, but their looks aren't terribly encouraging, alas...:triportsad:...CHEERS!

Mar 30, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #5,764 of 11,519
That's one beautiful part of the world you live in OH...never realised Romania could look like that lol! :smile_phones:...However, as you say, I'm sure not all the country looks the same! :wink:...(which can also be said of our 'Green and pleasant land' nowadays alas...:triportsad:). Transylvania is evidently the home of the more-than-average discerning citizen...:ksc75smile:...as witnessed by the wonderful craftsmanship of these Meze Empyreans - truly a work of art, as well as sounding tremendous.

Afraid trying the leather pads may well have to wait 'til tomorrow, but will certainly give them a go before returning these demos on Monday. Don't need any longer to make up my mind - that was done within the first hour yesterday lol...so I want my very own pair ASAP!!

And fear not @Scutey ...despite the good lady still trying to fish for the truth, I will (nay must) stay firm...certainly a case of 'ignorance is bliss' methinks! :wink:

ps. Was that possibly Vlad's ghost I glimpsed in one of those beautiful castles? Or was he in a more remote mountain location?! :)...CHEERS!...CJ

The castle presented in that video at 1:26 is the Bran Castle which lies at 40 km near Brasov. And yes, you were right, this is the "Dracula's castle" people have read about in Bram Stoker's novel. But I think nowadays Vlad prefers to go in the old town of Brasov for a beer or a good wine instead of sitting in those cold castles. All of them are full of tourists and the prices are double because of that for a beer which is less than average. Brasov is a typical medieval small town like Krakov or others in Poland, Czeh Republic or Hungary. All these towns are looking quite the same in Europe. The image of Romania was strongly affected by the gypsies who emigrated to Western Europe and, of course, they were not the best ambassadors of the country. They are a small minority here present because of historical reasons (slaves in medieval ages) and nowadays their community is not properly integrated (or, should I say, refuses to integrate?) in the "european values". We have here exactly the same problems with them as the other countries they are travelling to. Anyway, enough with history because this are headphone related forums.

PS. The town where Meze Empyrean are made, Baia Mare, is translated as "The big bath". Not very audiophile, isn't it? :D I think the name comes from the Roman Empire times when they were building baths and stuff. Hard working guys the romans, a lot of towns have reminiscences of them here.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #5,765 of 11,519
Well, at least there is one thing which is properly produced in Romania. LOL

If you decide to keep them, what I already think you've done, can you tell us the difference between the different ear pads and how hard is to exchange them? Because I see you have a spare part there which I think will provide you a different sound signature.

PS. For 31.6 Ohm I was curious to see if a tube amp handles them with care.

Hi OH...decided in that first hour I simply had to have them...no question lol! :wink: And with every hour Euforia is liking these particular planars more and more...not to mention the EL11/38 combo.

Last night what my setup, complete with Empyreans, did for Fleetwood Mac's 'Rumours' justified the price of admission alone...have already forgotten/dismissed the entry fee!! :ksc75smile:

As for velour vs leather - for me, and in my setup, it's velour all the way. Bass and mids become far too dominant with leather IMHO, and have far too negative an impact on the clean, crystal clear precision I've come to love from my T1s. Overall separation and placement within the soundstage also suffer...not at all acceptable to me, I'm afraid :triportsad:. Perhaps more acceptable to LCD fans (early models especially)?...

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #5,766 of 11,519
ps. @Scutey ...Have those strange looking EL38s improved at all? Hope so, but their looks aren't terribly encouraging, alas...:triportsad:...CHEERS!
Hi h1,Those rather odd QTL branded EL38's. Despite their unconventional looks they have improved, quite significantly too! :wink:. Now they're not in the same league as the Philips/RT coated balloon type, or I suspect your Mullard balloons either, however, they have a flavour of their own, not quite as warm or weighty as our familiar 38's, somewhat leaner/cooler, they don't go quite as low in the sub bass, either, they have good width/depth, have very good micro detail, and transparency, overall dynamics are very good, I still only have about 5 hours on them but I would say they're worth a look :thumbsup:.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #5,767 of 11,519
Hi h1,Those rather odd QTL branded EL38's. Despite their unconventional looks they have improved, quite significantly too! :wink:. Now they're not in the same league as the Philips/RT coated balloon type, or I suspect your Mullard balloons either, however, they have a flavour of their own, not quite as warm or weighty as our familiar 38's, somewhat leaner/cooler, they don't go quite as low in the sub bass, either, they have good width/depth, have very good micro detail, and transparency, overall dynamics are very good, I still only have about 5 hours on them but I would say they're worth a look :thumbsup:.

Glad to hear it, S...but have no desire to try any other tubes now lol! :wink: What my current setup does for - and with! - the Meze Empyreans is quite stupendous...:beyersmile::beyersmile:. And all I can say is that either their design as 'Hybrid Array Isodynamic' planars defies all previous tenets re. such low impedance cans not being suitable for OTL amps... or F-A did a much better than expected job of designing Elise and Euforia so as to specifically cope with them far better than most other OTLs...:ksc75smile:...or both?!!

Whatever, as penance for my profligacy, I am now suffering dreadful Euforia withdrawal symptoms...Having today returned my demo pair of Empys, I must wait until tomorrow for my very own pair, and a fix to beat all fixes. I simply can't even bear to go back to listening to my beloved T1s :triportsad:. Still, I thank the Gods for the wonderful service and home demo facility from Hifonix (UK). To have to endure just 2 days between returning the demo pair and receiving my new ones is miraculous IMHO! And both shipments to me were free next day delivery via DPD, and my demo return cost was a mere £7, via UPS next day (drop off at local point). An incredible deal as far as I'm concerned. Especially with a two year warranty, as opposed to just one, if buying direct from Meze...

So now I look forward to not only enjoying these tremendous cans once more, but also seeing what my DIY UP-OCC cable does for them lol :) :)...CHEERS!

ps. A link to Hifonix for anyone interested : https://www.hifonix.co.uk/meze-open-back-headphones

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #5,768 of 11,519
Hi Scutey.
I think your balloon EL38's are of a similar ilk as my Union Electronics which going by your discription sound very much the same. I've just ordered another pair so they must be growing on me. Just backed out of the bid for two Mullard balloons on ebay, I got as far as £150. They are close to £200 now, a bit too rich for me.

Apr 2, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #5,769 of 11,519
Thanks for the info bt!, I must admit I couldn't find out much about them, however they are turning out to be a rather nice tube!. As for those Mullard balloons I had my eye on those as well :wink: but sadly they're going to go for silly money, seems a precedent has been set, if they come up again the'll go for similar money, so with a heavy heart I'm going to have to pass them by as well, fortunately I have to two very nice pair of coated balloon 38's in Philips and RT flavours, along with a nice pair of h1's CV450, so I think I'll have to be satisfied with those :ksc75smile:.

Apr 2, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #5,770 of 11,519
Hi Scutey.
I think your balloon EL38's are of a similar ilk as my Union Electronics which going by your discription sound very much the same. I've just ordered another pair so they must be growing on me. Just backed out of the bid for two Mullard balloons on ebay, I got as far as £150. They are close to £200 now, a bit too rich for me.

Ye Gods guys...have I set yet another train running way out of control lol?! :astonished: I take it it's not one, or more, of ours getting carried away?...:wink:...Looks then like others have cottoned on to the true potential and worth of this tube, that not too long ago was regarded almost as an 'also ran' compared to its sister, the much more expensive EL37. But it's quite clear to me from their construction that they are to all intents and purposes the exact same tube!...the EL38 merely being later designated for a different purpose. So congrats to those who, along with yours truly, took a gamble in the early pioneering days. As I have always maintained, this particular family of EL tubes especially belongs right up there at the top of the power tube tree...bar none!! :ksc75smile::ksc75smile:...CHEERS!...CJ...and g'night all...:smile_phones:

Apr 2, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #5,771 of 11,519
Seems like you might have!, I spotted them on the first day, I must admit I thought that was my chance to pick up a pair but just 24 hours later they were already up £56, seems like they are going to go north of £200 +, sadly that's more than I'm prepared to pay.

Apr 3, 2019 at 3:06 AM Post #5,772 of 11,519
Seems like you might have!, I spotted them on the first day, I must admit I thought that was my chance to pick up a pair but just 24 hours later they were already up £56, seems like they are going to go north of £200 +, sadly that's more than I'm prepared to pay.

That's a real bummer for you Scutey- or @barontan2418 ! But those coated French 38s you have are only very marginally behind, and the later 'pretty' ones not much further...and probably far less troublesome lol!! :o2smile:

Shame I can't claim a (generous) commission on the tubes I've promoted these past few years!! :triportsad::wink:...

Apr 3, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #5,773 of 11,519
Hi guys.

It's a real shame those balloon EL38s are reaching silly money...I'm afraid I wouldn't fill the seller's pockets just on principle lol!! Perhaps others might turn up unspotted some time...it does occasionally happen (as y'all know! :L3000:).

Anyway, I just thought I'd update on my Meze Empyreans that arrived today...(having returned my demo pair just the day before yesterday...amazing!).

Do I have any regrets over my impulsive behaviour in the last few days?...NO WAY!!...If anything, I'm even more impressed as I rekindled my immediate infatuation this afternoon. And all down to disconnecting my (fixed) T1s, so more energy is delivered to the planars. And boy, do they like a bit of extra juice! - hence most OTL amps not really up to driving them to best advantage. But Euforia - especially with the EL11/38s in place - drives them even more easily than my Beyer T1s...incredible! Bass is now even more stupendous, and more I would never, ever need or want.

Soundstage also is even more holographic...and that's before proper burn-in of cans and cable. So now I'm more interested/excited than ever before to see what my UP-OCC cable does for them...tomorrow.
The whole presentation is so wonderfully smooth and balanced, that an extra bonus is being able to turn up the volume without any hint whatsoever of things getting out of control, or ears objecting...nice!

Actually, I suspect that Meze's 'Isodynamic Hybrid Array' design could also be helping such OTL amps drive them much more easily than 'usual' planars...whatever, my previous concerns about planar magnetic cans for our amps are now totally dismissed...thank goodness!...CHEERS!...CJ

Apr 4, 2019 at 7:48 AM Post #5,774 of 11,519
Hi CJ, you being the expert on this now, and the fact you are so willing to help us all attain the kind of sonic bliss that you have, I thought perhaps, since we have no distrubuters here to demo them, you could send them to me, as a gesture of friendship of course, for a limited amount of time, say three months, just to make sure I double check your results!!!!!!

Apr 4, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #5,775 of 11,519
Hi CJ, you being the expert on this now, and the fact you are so willing to help us all attain the kind of sonic bliss that you have, I thought perhaps, since we have no distrubuters here to demo them, you could send them to me, as a gesture of friendship of course, for a limited amount of time, say three months, just to make sure I double check your results!!!!!!

Hmmm, my dear friend...we may well be bosom buddies across the 'Pond', but I'm afraid there has to be a limit to friendship and dedication to forum lol! :triportsad::wink:

Before today I just might(?!) have felt more generous, but now...no way, I'm afraid! Why so? Because today I managed to get my 12-wire UP-OCC silver and copper replacement cable attached - eventually - and the result is even better than I anticipated! :ksc75smile:. (I say eventually, because as you know, I always try to eliminate connectors wherever possible so, not even thinking of going straight to the headphone's drivers this time(!!), I settled for 'just' making direct metal-to-metal contact between my wires and the 4x mini-XLR pins of each channel. With such a tiny amount of space to work in, you can probably imagine the air was somewhat blue today...poor Rita!!).

Anyway, the stress was more than worth it because I was actually somewhat surprised that the Empyrean's sound could be pushed a good bit further.

I now realise the gorgeously smooth and balanced delivery I mentioned before was, for me, just a little on the 'polite' side. But I was prepared to forego my T1's extra 'bite' in exchange for everything else the Mezes do so well...hours of non-fatiguing listening bliss being just one other lol! However, now with the different cable in place, smoothness and perfect balance are still present...but with an added extra sparkle in the upper frequencies; even more detail throughout the range; even better separation and placement, expanding soundstage more than ever; tighter, more solid bass...and these are just for starters. But to be honest, these are precisely the extras in performance I expected from the Neotech UP-OCC solid silver and copper wires...this stuff is without doubt the final magic ingredient in showcasing just what equipment is capable of. I personally now wouldn't even think of using anything else :beyersmile:.

All this has also solidified my personal belief that if anything is ever found 'missing' in Euforia - especially with the EL11/38 combo, it is definitely not the result of 'personal preference', but simply the rest of the system - including cables - not providing the magic ingredients she craves to scale the heights...full stop! :wink: The sound now coming from these Empyreans, driven by my Euforia setup, is in another league entirely...far more so in fact than I really anticipated.

And so finally, all that remains for me to say is...first save up the funds, then try to arrange for a demo of these headphones or hope to find a dealer who offers refund (without unreasonable 'restocking' fees) if you don't agree with my findings.

I myself have now proved beyond any doubt whatsoever that Euforia can drive these particular planar cans as well, if not better, than any higher impedance dynamics you care to name...even if conventional wisdom says OTLs don't!! :beyersmile:...CHEERS!...CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back