Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Apr 5, 2019 at 6:02 AM Post #5,776 of 11,519
A bit more research in to finding "sounds-to-good-to-be-true" power filter/conditioners.

I found a selection by german, Lithuanian and chinese companies. I'm guessing they might all originate or in the same chinese factory, because as you'll see there's a lot of visual similarities between the makes.. or perhaps thats being over generous and instead i should say they're identical apart from logos and colours :wink:

Rubbish or worth a try?

https://www.dynavox-audio.de/produk...sten/hifi-netzfilter-x6000-schwarzsilber.html

https://www.tagaharmony.com/en/products/3655/home-electronics/product/9025/pf-2000

https://www.tagaharmony.com/en/products/3655/home-electronics/product/251/pf-1000

https://www.dynavox-audio.de/produk...ifi-steckdosenleiste-x4100-schwarzsilber.html

http://www.badahi-fi.com/eng/detail.asp?id=94

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nobsound-C...&qid=1554462297&s=electronics&sr=1-1-fkmrnull

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #5,777 of 11,519
A bit more research in to finding "sounds-to-good-to-be-true" power filter/conditioners.

I found a selection by german, Lithuanian and chinese companies. I'm guessing they might all originate or in the same chinese factory, because as you'll see there's a lot of visual similarities between the makes.. or perhaps thats being over generous and instead i should say they're identical apart from logos and colours :wink:

Rubbish or worth a try?

https://www.dynavox-audio.de/produk...sten/hifi-netzfilter-x6000-schwarzsilber.html

https://www.tagaharmony.com/en/products/3655/home-electronics/product/9025/pf-2000

https://www.tagaharmony.com/en/products/3655/home-electronics/product/251/pf-1000

https://www.dynavox-audio.de/produk...ifi-steckdosenleiste-x4100-schwarzsilber.html

http://www.badahi-fi.com/eng/detail.asp?id=94

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nobsound-C...&qid=1554462297&s=electronics&sr=1-1-fkmrnull
My Furman power conditioner has arrived, just waiting for the output cable to arrive, then, if you're interested I'll let you know what it's like.

Apr 5, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #5,778 of 11,519
My Furman power conditioner has arrived, just waiting for the output cable to arrive, then, if you're interested I'll let you know what it's like.

@Scutey i'm really interested to hear what you think and if it makes a noticeable difference. Since you've started me looking, i'm very tempted to try one of these inexpensive options. I am interested in trying one that i plug either UK plugs or Shuko plugs into, so i may try the Dynavox or Taga harmony, block/filter's which i can try and return via amazon. I havent really got room for larger hifi width conditioners they sell. Anyway as i say yes please, im very interested to hear how the Furman performs :)

Apr 5, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #5,779 of 11,519
I’ve swapped my Hugo for my brothers Qutest and I see you can set the voltage output depending on the amp, so I’m hoping someone can advise what the best setting is for use with the euforia. Thx in advance:)

Apr 5, 2019 at 7:20 PM Post #5,780 of 11,519
@Scutey i'm really interested to hear what you think and if it makes a noticeable difference. Since you've started me looking, i'm very tempted to try one of these inexpensive options. I am interested in trying one that i plug either UK plugs or Shuko plugs into, so i may try the Dynavox or Taga harmony, block/filter's which i can try and return via amazon. I havent really got room for larger hifi width conditioners they sell. Anyway as i say yes please, im very interested to hear how the Furman performs :)
No problem, I'll let you know, still waiting on the output cable but as soon as it arrives I shall give it a go.

Apr 6, 2019 at 3:21 AM Post #5,781 of 11,519
I’ve swapped my Hugo for my brothers Qutest and I see you can set the voltage output depending on the amp, so I’m hoping someone can advise what the best setting is for use with the euforia. Thx in advance:)

When I ordered Elise MK2, in February 2018, I was using 2Qute which had a fixed 3V output voltage. At that time I remember I emailed Lukasz Feliks to ask if this might damage the tube amp and the answer was that it is no problem. Now, I use my Elise with Qutest and 3V output because I have the feeling that it has the best dynamics.
What really happens, imho, is that if you provide 1V for example, and push higher the tube amp volume, you will let Elise/Euforia amplify more of that input signal and obtain a more tubey sound. If you use 3V output you will reduce the "tube" influence. Anyway, I searched a lot on different forums and many other users preferred the 3V.
So I can say that I used both 2Qute and Qutest (which I currently own) with 3V output without problems. On this setting my tube amp volume is somewhere at 25%. I hope this helps.

Please share us your comparison between both.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2019 at 6:33 AM Post #5,782 of 11,519
When I ordered Elise MK2, in February 2018, I was using 2Qute which had a fixed 3V output voltage. At that time I remember I emailed Lukasz Feliks to ask if this might damage the tube amp and the answer was that it is no problem. Now, I use my Elise with Qutest and 3V output because I have the feeling that it has the best dynamics.
What really happens, imho, is that if you provide 1V for example, and push higher the tube amp volume, you will let Elise/Euforia amplify more of that input ssignal and obtain a more tubey sound. If you use 3V output you will reduce the "tube" influence. Anyway, I searched a lot on different forums and many other users preferred the 3V.
So I can say that I used both 2Qute and Qutest (which I currently own) with 3V output without problems. On this setting my tube amp volume is somewhere at 25%. I hope this helps.

Please share us your comparison between both.

@OctavianH thats brilliant thank you :)Rob

Apr 8, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #5,783 of 11,519

Hi trob.

As OH says, 3V will certainly be no problem at all...in fact that's the line level out when set specifically on Hugo2. Out of interest, I tried different output levels via H2's remote control volume (wonderful way to alter Euforia's volume remotely lol!), and did notice a 'cleaner' sound at this - and higher V settings! - than at much lower levels, and with commensurate lower volume settings on the amp. I also noticed that one can in fact go a good bit higher than 3V before distortion sets in...ie close to 'white', but haven't measured to see just what the figure is.

Apr 8, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #5,784 of 11,519
Now then guys...I've just got to let you know some really interesting news I had today, courtesy of my enquiry to the folks at Meze re. Euforia's splendid affinity with their flagship Empyrean headphones...despite being an OTL amp that some said would not be able to drive these planars very well.

And what d'ya know...their reply fair knocked me for six! :wink: : it turns out they did in fact work with F-A from early on "soundwise", especially with our Euforia...jackpot!! :ksc75smile: And this would explain why their Empyreans are often showcased with this amp. What better endorsement can one get than that?!!

So this now adds a headphone manufacturer's hi-end flagship product that's taking the market by storm to the likes of Focal and ZMF, who have been happy to marry their top cans to F-A's amps. Need I say more lol?...methinks not :gs1000smile:...CHEERS!...CJ

ps. Still loving these Empyreans more by the day...truly sensational...:ksc75smile:...Thanks a million, F-A and Meze.

Apr 8, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #5,785 of 11,519
Hi trob.

As OH says, 3V will certainly be no problem at all...in fact that's the line level out when set specifically on Hugo2. Out of interest, I tried different output levels via H2's remote control volume (wonderful way to alter Euforia's volume remotely lol!), and did notice a 'cleaner' sound at this - and higher V settings! - than at much lower levels, and with commensurate lower volume settings on the amp. I also noticed that one can in fact go a good bit higher than 3V before distortion sets in...ie close to 'white', but haven't measured to see just what the figure is.

Thanks for the confirmation. Re the h2, when you set to line out, doesn’t it pretty much auto set at the highest volume? As an aside I’m really not enjoying the Qutest. Nothing to do with it’s performance but purely down to the lack missing convenience of the remote. The DSP volume in Roon is rubbish and I'd swear the SQ is worse with the software remote enabled.. it’s going to be a long two weeks and has added something to my wish list for the euforia mkII :wink: Also I know I said I my recent bout of upgraditis had thankfully for my credit cards sake, passed, well i might have been slightly premature in my predictions. I'd been looking to upgrade my trusty Supra USB cable for a while and have been coveting something exotic from Tellurium Q. On friday a Black Diamond USB appeared on ebay with a raft of other TQ bits on. I got chatting to the seller and it turns out sadly his brother who was a journo at HIFi+ had died last and the TQ cables were the only brand test samples he'd kept , which is what was being sold off. Being a mercenary first audiophile :wink: and despite its rather unfortunate and sad provenance, I bought the USB, and wow its the most fantastic bit of snake oil poured into my set up in sometime. I'm not sure i'd have paid the RRP of over £600, but that said its made my beloved supra sound muddled, congested and almost broken. I wasnt expecting the differences to be so instantly noticeable, but then i always thought i'd be susceptible to a jedi mind trick. Only downside, is TQ are incredibly secretive about their technology, materials and production processes so i've very little idea as to why it sounds so good. Only problem is this was complete luck on my part, as i took a total punt not having heard it first and all this has done is fuel my curiosity as to what other cables might do... mmmmm perhaps it might be more pertinent for me to look into some sort treatment or 12-steps program for audiopholics :wink:

Apr 9, 2019 at 2:58 AM Post #5,786 of 11,519
USB cables are very important, even if many claim that digital transmission works in the same way using any cable. For me was a very big difference when switching to QED Reference and I am sure that Audioquest Diamond or the one you are mentioning are much better. The problem I have is that I need a 3m cable and not many vendors are offering such a length. I tried to "fix" my USB input of the Qutest, which is my weakest point in the line, with several filters or reclockers and I have to admit that it is still far behind the optical input connected to my CD Transport.

Anyway, by chance I might obtain a Yarland Power Strip 8:
http://www.soundundmovie.de/html/power_strip_8.html

Netzleiste2.jpg

This unit has 4 filtered plugs and 4 unfiltered and in the description I see:

Please note that although the filter has a clean power, filtering out the role of clutter, but also likely to cause compression dynamics, so 4-way filter with the socket should not be used for amplifiers, can be used for audio (CD machine, decoder, etc.) The non-filtered sockets are available for amplifiers.

Now, honestly it is not very clear to me if a tube amp is also included here or these advices are only for power amplifiers.
Should I connect it to a filtered socket? What's the rule behind this restriction?
Does it make sense to plug to a filtered one the Furman?

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2019 at 3:49 AM Post #5,787 of 11,519
USB cables are very important, even if many claim that digital transmission works in the same way using any cable. For me was a very big difference when switching to QED Reference and I am sure that Audioquest Diamond or the one you are mentioning are much better. The problem I have is that I need a 3m cable and not many vendors are offering such a length. I tried to "fix" my USB input of the Qutest, which is my weakest point in the line, with several filters or reclockers and I have to admit that it is still far behind the optical input connected to my CD Transport.

Netzleiste2.jpg

Please note that although the filter has a clean power, filtering out the role of clutter, but also likely to cause compression dynamics, so 4-way filter with the socket should not be used for amplifiers, can be used for audio (CD machine, decoder, etc.) The non-filtered sockets are available for amplifiers.

Now, honestly it is not very clear to me if a tube amp is also included here or these advices are only for power amplifiers.
Should I connect it to a filtered socket? What's the rule behind this restriction?

I don't know that much about electricity, but what I have read about power conditioning it seems that even Class-D speaker amps can be plugged to a filtered outlet - so I guess it's mostly determined on the wattage your device draws if you have to use the filtered or the non-filtered outlet. BUT of course there are different takes on power filtering and some might do better with amps than others? - Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can chime in :)

Best,
Alex

Apr 9, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #5,788 of 11,519
If you are concerned about plugging in the tube amp into your filter it's not going to hurt it to give it a try and see if it sounds better or worse. For myself I have always had my main music system plugged into a filter conditioner and now with the headphones system including streamer dac Nas PC and the tube amp all are plugged in to the filter conditioner Fuhrman's doing a great job. Noticed a large difference especially through the Nas.

Apr 9, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #5,789 of 11,519
Thanks for the confirmation. Re the h2, when you set to line out, doesn’t it pretty much auto set at the highest volume? As an aside I’m really not enjoying the Qutest. Nothing to do with it’s performance but purely down to the lack missing convenience of the remote. The DSP volume in Roon is rubbish and I'd swear the SQ is worse with the software remote enabled.. it’s going to be a long two weeks and has added something to my wish list for the euforia mkII :wink: Also I know I said I my recent bout of upgraditis had thankfully for my credit cards sake, passed, well i might have been slightly premature in my predictions. I'd been looking to upgrade my trusty Supra USB cable for a while and have been coveting something exotic from Tellurium Q. On friday a Black Diamond USB appeared on ebay with a raft of other TQ bits on. I got chatting to the seller and it turns out sadly his brother who was a journo at HIFi+ had died last and the TQ cables were the only brand test samples he'd kept , which is what was being sold off. Being a mercenary first audiophile :wink: and despite its rather unfortunate and sad provenance, I bought the USB, and wow its the most fantastic bit of snake oil poured into my set up in sometime. I'm not sure i'd have paid the RRP of over £600, but that said its made my beloved supra sound muddled, congested and almost broken. I wasnt expecting the differences to be so instantly noticeable, but then i always thought i'd be susceptible to a jedi mind trick. Only downside, is TQ are incredibly secretive about their technology, materials and production processes so i've very little idea as to why it sounds so good. Only problem is this was complete luck on my part, as i took a total punt not having heard it first and all this has done is fuel my curiosity as to what other cables might do... mmmmm perhaps it might be more pertinent for me to look into some sort treatment or 12-steps program for audiopholics :wink:

Hi trob.

With the Hugo2, setting it to line out gives 3V, which is actually a good way off max volume. And yes, using variable volume out instead of sticking to line level is, to me also, an invaluable means of controlling Euforia's final volume level lol! :ksc75smile:

You certainly lucked out with that USB cable, mon ami...well done! The beauty of electrical digital coax of course is that one can get far superior quality wire in there compared to most USB cables...especially if one goes the DIY route!! (Not to mention the other problems associated with USB signal transfer). But the downside is if using a PC/laptop with just USB out and/or wanting DSD files.

And forget any treatment programs...by now you are well and truly, hopelessly hooked...and there's no way out, I'm afraid!!! :astonished::wink:...CHEERS!...CJ

Apr 9, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #5,790 of 11,519

Netzleiste2.jpg

I don't know that much about electricity, but what I have read about power conditioning it seems that even Class-D speaker amps can be plugged to a filtered outlet - so I guess it's mostly determined on the wattage your device draws if you have to use the filtered or the non-filtered outlet. BUT of course there are different takes on power filtering and some might do better with amps than others? - Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can chime in :)

Best,
Alex

Hi guys.

I don't profess to be any kind of expert on this subject of mains conditioning/filtering, but is indeed a rather murky one.

From my own researches these past few years, what I can say for sure however is that, as I have stressed many times, good results will only really be achieved by spending a fair bit of money...full stop!! With filtering, so much depends upon not only the quality of circuitry/components used, but also the actual methods used. Lesser products can indeed seem to cause more problems than they solve lol! :triportsad:
And so my advice is to do as much research as possible on different products, and hope to find enough reviews that can be trusted, from folks who seem to know what they're talking about!

OH...such as that Yarland strip doesn't fill me with much confidence, I'm afraid. The fact that they even make a disclaimer about the suitability of the filtered sections confirms them to be of said lesser quality, and therefore not worth the money IMHO! Much better to spend a (fair!) bit more in this area that usually proves worthwhile lol.

ps Even using a couple of (good quality) multi adapters on a good 2-socket unit would, I'm sure, give better results than such a strip...just my 2cents' worth...:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back