Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Jun 6, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #2,836 of 11,472
TS is the "edge" tube, RCA is the "soft" one, Sylvania is in the middle, close to be neutral.
Do you know where the GEC 6080 would fit in this?

Jun 6, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #2,837 of 11,472
Do you know where the GEC 6080 would fit in this?

Aren't those driver tubes? GEC 6080 is a power tube. So I don't exactly understand your question, but that never stops me from providing an answer.

First, I should say that for whatever reason I subjectively feel that tube choice is less important with Euforia than with Elise. Also, my patience for closely comparing tubes has grown thin over the past year (as opposed to my body which has grown fat).

My feeling is the GEC6AS7G is more laid back than the 6080 and perhaps more detailed. To me 6080 has more punch and is maybe more emotionally involving. I don't want to try to discourage anyone from buying a GEC6AS7G because it has certainly established a reputation as perhaps the best sounding 6AS7G tube available. I'm just not convinced myself it is work the current prices. I got my pair as part of a package deal, but the cost allocated to the GECs was essentially $250 for the pair. That was certainly worth it (assuming the crackling one can somehow be cured - by cleaning pins or something like that), but $500 seems pretty steep to me.

I believe that within the range you reference, GEC6080 would probably be in the middle a little closer to the TS tube and GEC6AS7G would also be in the middle but a little closer to the RCA. What I can tell you for sure is that both the 6AS7G and 6080 GECs mate very well with Sylvania 6SN7-WTG drivers.

Jun 6, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #2,839 of 11,472
Just one final comment on Bimby. I read that at the recent LA show, Schiit was running Maggie speakers driven by the Bifrost/Freya/Vidar, and I have heard some positive reports. Schiit obviously considers Bimby suitable for demonstrating an important system like that which had to take up important space in their room. I just believe that Bifrost Multibit should not ever have to feel embarrassed (you do realize DACs have feelings) by being in a Euforia level system.

I fully understand this is a Euforia thread and I'm going to try to get away from further DAC talk unless and until I get a Gumby.

Jun 6, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #2,840 of 11,472
Any reputable dealers that you know of that are selling GEC ?6080

Jun 6, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #2,841 of 11,472
Jun 6, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #2,842 of 11,472
Hi folks...glad to see everyone's still loving their Euforias (and that I myself don't have to keep heaping endless praise on her!! :wink:). Nice too that you, @Tunkejazz, are also agreeing with us already lol! I foresee a good many late nights ahead for you, just as a good few here have enjoyed before you!...(me included)...

I suppose I must take a fair bit of the blame for recent 'frenzy' concerning DACs, after my own foray into upgrades of system elements, especially Chord Hugo 2 territory (for which, alas, I must wait until end July probably, given the delay in final release, even though the first units have now shipped). With any luck, I hope to have more time by then to add even more to this discussion...sorry @aqsw!).

In my (and others'!) defence, as I have mentioned many times already, this has been - and still is - all in the interests of gaining the maximum possible performance from this wonderful amp. Just as I personally was beginning to believe I'd pushed her almost to the limit, I have been astounded at the leaps in performance from upgrades elsewhere...as covered in depth already, and before the new DAC even! On the subject of which...AT LAST!!!...my pronouncements on what can be achieved from 'standard' CD quality material - given the right equipment, and preferably coax connection - are being confirmed by such as your good selves @UntilThen and @pctazhp!! :darthsmile:. Euforia just seems to keep on rising to the challenge, and hence justifies the rather high cost of the sort of gear we have been covering recently. I myself still don't regret a single penny of the higher-than-expected assault on my own wallet of late lol! The sound now emanating from my T1s via the upgrades is a mile away from stock...there's simply no comparison. And I wish you all the same kind of success, if (and when!) contemplating any future forays into this territory...

So it's 'bye for now y'all, and keep on enjoying what Euforia can bring into our lives...CHEERS!...CJ

ps. So glad things turned out well for you and your Gumby @connieflyer...and that pct and UT don't seem to be living in Cloud Cuckoo Land after all - too often, at least!! :ksc75smile: :L3000:...BFN...

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #2,843 of 11,472
thank you for the info, ordered two supposedly they come with tea and crumpets as well!

Jun 6, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #2,844 of 11,472
thank you for the info, ordered two supposedly they come with tea and crumpets as well!
Hope you enjoy them! The Mullards I got were in pristine condition, as advertised. I hope to experience the same with the Syl wgt - which just came in at the post office to pick them up, might I add! If I'm not mistaken many people here have had equally positive experiences from Langrex. Doing my own research, they look like the real deal; just look at the almost perfectly positive reviews they've had out of a clientele the numbers of which rise up to four digits!

Jun 6, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #2,845 of 11,472
Hi @hypnos1 Glad to see you checking in. I start to getting pretty insecure when we don't hear from you for a while. Whether you like it or not you remain our Fearless Leader :o2smile:

Sorry about the delay on Hugo2. I've tried to think of something comforting to say, but can't. The delay just sucks plain and simple!!!!

Hope you are in excellent health and of good cheer. Doing my best to stay out of the clouds, but I get very dizzy whenever my feet are on solid ground :ksc75smile:

Jun 6, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #2,846 of 11,472
Hello @hypnos1 good to hear from you again...... now stay ! You have been missed. :ksc75smile:

Frenzy DACs have been worth it all. Takes it to the stratosphere. Problem is the flight capsule has no return button to earth.

GEC 6as7g..... ok there has been many opinions ... from holy grail to so so gill ... as for me, I've heard it several times, including in my Euforia. It would rank as a few of the top premier power tubes in the 6as7 / 6080 range, if not the top. Depending on who you ask, preference can vary. Skylab prefers it to TS 5998. For me, since I'm going to get back my renewed Elise and it will stay here with Euforia, I'm getting GEC 6as7g to complete the important tubes (IMO) in my collection. That doesn't mean I'll use it everyday and every night. All tubes will be cycled through on a fortnightly basis. I like variety.

The picture again and don't sue me for posting it again. I didn't have other drivers at the meet. IMO GEC 6as7g is best paired with other drivers. It should go nicely with Sylvania 6sn7w.
20170326_145903.jpg

Jun 6, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #2,847 of 11,472

I like the GEC 6080. Certainly better than the Mullard 6080 in tone to me. My ears and gear though. :)

I won't do any impressions till I get the GEC 6as7g. Then I'll do it all together, along with TS 5998, Bendix 6080wb, Chatham 6520, Mullard 6080, RCA 6080, Svetlana 6H13C, GE 6AS7GA, TS 7236.

Jun 6, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #2,848 of 11,472
Hi UT,

I happen to have all the power tubes you list above (except for the GEC 6080 ), and would like to add one more to the list that IMHO compares favorably with my top three (GEC 6AS7, Bendix 6080WB and TS5998):

EL12N

Jun 6, 2017 at 11:07 PM Post #2,850 of 11,472
Just don't be surprised if you don't like it better than 6080.

Unlikely. :)

I heard it several times remember?

Everything I do is calculated and planned. It took me 2 years before I decide to buy GEC 6as7g and the pair I'm getting is so perfect it's going to be hard to use it. :)

Perfect matched pair, gleaming new tubes and pins. Logos like they were just printed. And curved base.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back