1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by hypnos1, Jan 9, 2017.
First

Back
182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191
193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202
Next

Last
  1. mordy
    Dept of Philosophy:

It occurs to me, having bought the Euforia, that since this amp has so much potential for even more increased performance, it demands higher grade ancillary equipment. The Elise, on the other hand, prodded you to look for upgraded tubes for better performance, but did not ignite the upgradeitis to the same degree.

In other words, whereas the Elise sort of encouraged you to look for upgraded performance via different tubes, the Euforia pushes you into buying higher grade associated equipment.

So my question is: Which is the most cost effective way to do this? An Asus sound card? Is an external DAC a necessity with a sound card? Mimby?

2. mordy
    HI UT,

Just go to the Audio Addiction to compare and see if it is worth the extra couple of thou......

My question is how to balance musical enjoyment with audio perfection.

3. Oskari
    Hej @mordy! I've been thinking about this as well! But I don't have the 6B{L,X}7s and they are not common around here.

4. pctazhp
    I may never be able to leave, but I'm trying to check out of this crazy hotel

5. pctazhp
    The ASUS sound card is designed with its own DAC and is aimed primarily at people who want to plug their ear buds or headphones directly into the back of their PCs, yet get better SQ than direct from their motherboards. HOWEVER, ASUS is one of the few soundcards that has a by-pass function which completely bypasses USB to a coax SPDIF output jack on the back of the card. This is how I'm using the card, and with excellent results. On my Bimby the improvement over USB is dramatic. On UT's Yiggy which uses a better USB input than any other Schiit DAC it might not offer any improvement - could even be worse I guess.

So the short answer to your question is that ASUS does require a separate DAC for our purposes. Mimby doesn't have an SPDIF input, so you'd have to go at least to the Bimby if you were going to use a Schiit DAC. I really can't say whether that would be the most cost effective upgrade path. It certainly has been for me to date. But, I'd rather try to guess how many millions of Aus Dollars UT is currently holding in his audio slush fund than give a definitive answer to your question!!!!

I certainly agree with you that Euforia stimulates interest in improving other parts of the chain. But I would recommend you take your time, study, listen to people here and try to audition stuff in your home before buying - although I know that is extremely difficult.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  6. UntilThen
    Hi Mordy, Addicted To Audio doesn't carry Mimby. Only Bimby Gumby and Yggy plus a range of exotic DACs.

Re the question of the sweet spot for amount spend to musical enjoyment, I'm afraid that will vary from individuals to individuals and budget.

There has been a big fan base on the Mimby. Perhaps try that for a start.

7. mordy
    Hi pct,

Thanks for your answer. Can you elucidate me about coax cables (and SPDIF) and how you use them? I am only familiar with RCA and USB cables.

8. mordy
    Hi Oskari,

About goofy tubes - do you have any experience with the 6DN7? It seems to be a 0.9A 6SN7 equivalent and is recommended by JACMusic.

Personally I like the 6BL7 better than the 6BX7. It is still possible to buy them inexpensively, although I lament the demise of 99c eBay stores......

9. pctazhp
    I know its confusing and I'll probably mis-educate you more than I'll educate. But I'll try.

Let's start with the picture of the back of the Schiit Yaggrasil or "Yiggy" (the one UT has) I downloaded from the Schiit site:
    Yggy-rear-1920.jpg

It shows all of the possible data input methods I know of used by DACs - USB, Optical, Coax, BNC and AES/EBU

The main input method used by most DACs today is probably USB. Mike Moffat, who designed all of the Schiit DACs has said that USB is the least desirable input. However Yiggy uses Schiit's most advanced USB input (they refer to it as "Gen 3"), and UT reports getting excellent results running USB directly from his PC to Yiggy. The main problem with USB I've heard described is that apparently it was not originally designed for music and has "noise", whatever that means. I experience it as "grung". I saw someone else describe it as a "wooshing" sound.

Optical (Toslink), Coax and BNC all use the same data stream refered to as SPDI/F. Most people seem to believe that Optical is the poorest way to transmit SPDIF data and BNC the best.

Toslink looks like this:https://smile.amazon.com/Black-Squi...496883719&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=toslink&psc=1

Coax SPDIF looks like this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FMZX4DS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (this is what I currently use) - needs to be 75 ohms

BNC cable: is essentially TV antenna cable and looks like this: https://smile.amazon.com/Hosa-BNC-5...id=1496884024&sr=1-1&keywords=bnc+coax+75+ohm It also needs to be 75 ohms.

AES/EBU is essentially XLR balanced cable : https://eventhorizon-srv.com/ecommerce/os/catalog/mogami-3080-110ohm-digital-cable-8ft-p-5397.html. This is generally considered the best way to transmit a digital signal.

Different music servers may use any one or more of the above non-USB connections. But my source of music is Tidal HD, so I need to get the data signal from my PC to Bimby. Most PCs don't have any digial out other than USB, or possibly Optical. For me, I use the ASUS board which as I said has a by-pass function. Somehow it takes the digital feed from my PC's Wi-Fi connection, completely by-passes USB and feeds a SPDI/F signal to its coax output, and provides me a much better and cleaner signal than I get from USB.

Many people deal with USB problems by feeding the PC's USB signal to a Digital Domain Converter (DDC) which converts (and presumably cleans up) the USB signal to some form of SPDI/F data transport method allowing use of one or more of that method described above.

Hope this helps a little. Please don't be surprised if I have made some technical goofs.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    hypnos1 likes this.
  10. UntilThen
    Less I be seen as a USB diehard let me clarify. I too agree of all the inputs to Yggy, USB is the least preferred.

However if you are using PC as a source, you are already prepared for compromises in favour of convenience. If pure audiophile is what you seek, use a dedicated CD transport or a quality Music Streamer.

If you have the cash to burn by all means explore how to get the signal from your PC to your DAC in the best possible way.

If using Schiit DAC perhaps wait for their upcoming solution.

In the meantime I'm using CD player to Yggy and for casual listening I am using PC via USB to Yggy. I don't hear any grung or wsoooh and certainly believe in verifying things myself than read a lot into what others say.

The amount of decraipifiers out there is staggering. You could spend as much as $1000 just decrapping.

Believe me, Schiit will have a neat solution.

11. pctazhp
    I did verify the "grunge" I hear with Bimby USB for the more than a year I used it before the ASUS card. The "woooshing" sound was simply another term for it that I read someone use in a review of decrapifiers. I've never heard Yiggy USB and didn't comment on it other than to say you had reported experiencing excellent results. I was merely trying to provide Mordy with a little background on different data cables which he had asked me about, and not pushing any kind of an agenda.

12. UntilThen
    I have something to share here. My Elise had the left channel going almost mute just when Euforia arrived. Elise has only been with me for 1.5 years but albeit heavily used in the sense of normal daily usage. I think I practically use Elise everyday. I don't use fancy Christmas tree setups. However I have used drivers and power tubes that are not in Feliks Audio list of recommended tubes. Tubes such as C3G, ECC31, FDD20 with external power supply, EL3N, EL11, EL12, EL12N, EF80, EF86, 6BL7... the list goes on.

So I send it back to FA and instructed Lukasz to make it new again because I do love Elise very much. Make it new they did. Lukasz told me they changed everything, except the transformer and chassis and brought it to upgraded 2017 Elise current specs. I was curious what cause my Elise to fail from just normal daily usage. So I wrote Lukasz an email, asking him and his dad to tell me what's wrong with my Elise.

This is the reply I got and Lukasz would have no problem that I repeated it here for everyone to see.

Hi UT, (Well he addressed me by my name. I've just changed it to UT here)

On EL11/12, these are completely out of spec in Elise/Euforia. We are a bit puzzled why people consider them "better" than good 6sn7 for example, no clue. Your Elise main circuits were pretty well fried, cannot exclude this was from using other tube types. So probably in most cases the amp will work but it may have impact on length of life and at least technically it shouldnt give any better (rather worse) sonical result.

Regards
    Lukasz

Even before this reply from Lukasz, I've basically made up my mind since Euforia came that I will not use non recommended tubes anymore. I'm strictly on 6sn7 and 6as7 / 6080 and to me the recommended tubes sounds just glorious. No reasons why they wouldn't be.

It would be folly not to heed the manufacturer's advice and warning.

13. Oskari
    No, but perhaps not a good idea: the tube has two dissimilar triodes.

14. hypnos1
    Nah, UT...THIS!!! :

Snap 2017-06-08 at 20.14.31.png

15. UntilThen
    Agree H1 :)

The Naim is a very nice gear. Auralic Aries would be interesting too, as it is a music streamer that can address Tidal and your network music storage..... and Roon. Maybe it time to try Roon. :)

When I connected the CD player to Yggy, I knew that getting a purer sound extends beyond the DAC. You have to address the source.....

However H1, after the Naim, try the Utopia and see the smile light up the northern skies.

As for me, this is where it ends. See my signature... plus a CD player. I shall now change my name from UntilThen to TheEnd. :sunglasses::call_me:

First

Back
182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191
193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202
Next

Last