1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by hypnos1, Jan 9, 2017.
First

Back
181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190
192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201
Next

Last
  1. mordy
    Hii attmci,

You are referring to my single TS5998 that I since acquired a mate for. When you are looking for bargains, patience is a virtue. I am waiting for a real deal on the GEC 6080, but so far no luck. Will keep trying....

Here is something wild that I just thought of (may be cringe-worthy to some): Since the current draw of the Euforia/Elise is the sum total of all the tubes, how about a pair of 6BL7 or 6BX7 as drivers with 1.2A power tubes such as the EL12N? Or the other way around... The total current draw is 5.4 which is well within the capacity of the 7A of the Euforia (or 6.8A of the Elise).

When I muster up enough courage I am going to try it...

And here is another candidate for the uncrowded field of top power tubes: The EL6.
    Yes, I know that they are rare, but ATM I am using a pair with a pair of 6SN7GTB as drivers, and the results are excellent.

2. pctazhp
    Careful. Respect your elders!! I may have to report you to the Arizona Audiophile Association - Out To Pasture Division. But, then again, my DAC only has, at best, 10 to 15% of the resolving capability as yours, so how would I have any idea about any tube I'm talking about!!!!

My pair was also brand, sparkling new with gleaming pins and printing that looked more like delicate engraving - and one of the tubes developed crackling at a fairly young age. Geeee, I certainly hope that doesn't happen to you - after all that calculating, planning and all :jecklinsmile:

3. attmci
    LOL. The GEC 6AS7 g is kind of fragile. I have one which only half of the tube works. Who want it?

4. UntilThen
    Each time you buy tubes, it's a roll of the dice. Tubes can fail for any reasons. When they are 50+ years old, it's a marvel we still try to pursue it. However these tubes must be very well made and robust. There are very few tubes that I had that fail, with only the notable EL12.

The thing is most sellers are reasonable. If it manifest problems within 7 to 14 days, you have cause to take it up with the seller.

All else fails, hang it on the wall.

Also your GEC tubes might be ok. Give it more time to settle down. When swapping between EL12/N (6BL7 included) and conventional power tubes, auto biasing in Euforia is working overtime. That's one reasons I've given up on non recommended tubes.

Edit:- Just read this.... :ksc75smile:
    https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/for-6as7g-tube-rollers-here.410326/page-5#post-6246843

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  5. connieflyer
    Well UT with all your careful planning inexactitude I'm sure they will be wonderful I just hope you don't drop one!

6. UntilThen
    I'm learning to do this with my tubes. Click on it to see how it's done.

TJ_Miller_Schafer_Juggle.gif

7. connieflyer
    Do you paint all your tubes red?

8. pctazhp
    In addition to your planning and calculation skills, you also appear to have magical ability to cure sick tubes. Both GECs are crackle-free this morning. I didn't even have to hang them on the wall, but I did threaten. Maybe that did it.

Are they the best??? I have to wait for you to tell me. That kind of thing is above my pay grade.

9. connieflyer
    My Gec 6080 tubes are also perfect according to what I'm hoping anyways but if I have a problem since you seem to have the magic touch with crackling Rosie and tubes I will send them to you for repair. Tracking update on Gumby shows not till Saturday now. That should work out well. These are definitely positively the last tubes I'm going to buy for this amp I have a guy large selection of good tubes and they should last me the rest of my life and then some so have fun buying tubes folks I am out of it

10. pctazhp
    I just realized I can fix any tube. I just have to take it to the vortex in Sedona and chant some ancient stuff which I sure I can find with help of Google. So feel free to send me any tubes you want. Even the good ones can benefit from a day or two in Sedona. On the way back I can also take them to the salt springs north of Phoenix.

I too am officially through buying ANY more tubes. Gumby will be my last audio purchase. Then I'll mount my horse, ride off into the sunset like Shane and another HeadFi member whose name escapes me right now, did.

11. connieflyer
    I finally realized that the more tubes that I pursued the more I came to realize that I was looking for more than what the amp would give me. I did that with the Ember amp and the Elise amp and now he Euforia that I am probably doing the same thing that it sounds great and with each different better to combination it sounds better but I keep looking and that bothers me. So these are definitely my last tubes if I find this isn't enough then I'll have to get a different amp and it won't be a tube amp I'll get something that I just have to suck it up listen to it don't like it replace the whole thing.

12. UntilThen
    I use to think that 5998, 7236, Chatham 6as7g and Mullard 6080 are all the power tubes I need and want. Now having spend a few days with GEC 6080, I find they make a fine addition to the quad. Having heard GEC 6as7g a few times, it belongs to that club except it's uber expensive now.

You're quite right you don't need anymore tubes now. Both of you have the best selections of 6as7 / 6080. I have no remorse with the all the tubes purchase. It's self discovery rather than depending on what's written.

HD800 / T1 will pair better with power tubes that have more texture and layers. HD800S / HD650 will benefit from a leaner, tighter tone. GEC 6080 isn't exactly a leaner tone. Still very textured but just a tad more lean and tight than GEC 6as7g.

Both tubes are astonishingly good sounding tubes, price aside.

13. UntilThen
    'Pa got things for you to do and ma wants you...' and heartless Shane just rode off.

I should have rode off into the sunset then. Now I end up buying Yggy, HD800, GEC 6080, GEC 6as7g all within a month. But you know what? I should have done this in the beginning and rode off like the wind. These has been the best acquisitions. Now to write the bill and send it to you and CF. :o2smile:

14. UntilThen
    Still running GEC 6080 with Tung Sol 6sn7gtb black base 1960s listening to Nine Million Bicycles. Love this song and Katie Melua.

15. UntilThen
    Tubes ticked. DAC ticked. Tube amp ticked. What about this?

utopia-full.png

First

Back
181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190
192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201
Next

Last