Feliks Audio ENVY
Mar 6, 2024 at 6:09 AM Post #5,521 of 6,742
So likely not good?
you are paying for the labelling, you can get some from Ukraine for cheaper, last I checked.

They are pretty good for what they are at $20 per pair IMO, but I don’t use the envy.

Mar 6, 2024 at 6:25 AM Post #5,522 of 6,742
I've got a standard Envy incoming, and will be upgrading tubes. I'll get to power tubes, but for now...

can someone confirm if the Brimar CV1988 6SN7GT would be an upgrade on the standard PsVane CV-181 mk2 (6SN7) driver tubes?

I have ZERO experience with tubes, btw. Reading as much of this thread as I can :)

I've no experience with those particular ones in particular myself. The Brimar CV1988s that some of us use here are these.

Those are an improvement over stock and great all rounders but personally I prefer the RCA Red Base 5692s which are these.

A used pair also.

We are reliably informed on this thread by more experienced people that Hytron versions of the RCA tube are exactly the same tubes just branded differently. You might be able to find some of those on eBay as well and save a few hundred £.
I really like the RCA Red Base tubes but they are just considered "good" and "nothing special" as well so really YMMV :beerchug:

Melz 1578s are great and my other favourite but silly expensive and seem to vary according to year of manufacture. I was very lucky with mine. A bit of a luck is sometimes required and the prices for some NOS is simply ridiculous. I am curious about these personally.

As others have said - scanning the 6SN7 thread is a good option and maybe this.

I also knew nothing when I bought my Envy - I think you have to try a few out. The PS Vanes really aren't that bad either.

Mar 6, 2024 at 6:35 AM Post #5,523 of 6,742
I've no experience with those particular ones in particular myself. The Brimar CV1988s that some of us use here are these.

Those are an improvement over stock and great all rounders but personally I prefer the RCA Red Base 5692s which are these.

A used pair also.

We are reliably informed on this thread by more experienced people that Hytron versions of the RCA tube are exactly the same tubes just branded differently. You might be able to find some of those on eBay as well and save a few hundred £.
I really like the RCA Red Base tubes but they are just considered "good" and "nothing special" as well so really YMMV :beerchug:

Melz 1578s are great and my other favourite but silly expensive and seem to vary according to year of manufacture. I was very lucky with mine. A bit of a luck is sometimes required and the prices for some NOS is simply ridiculous. I am curious about these personally.

As others have said - scanning the 6SN7 thread is a good option and maybe this.

I also knew nothing when I bought my Envy - I think you have to try a few out. The PS Vanes really aren't that bad either.
The Soviet pair just seem SO much cheaper, I don't even know if they'll bring anything to the table beyond the stock. This is so overwhelming and complicated for a newbie :)

Thanks a lot for such a detailed response.

Mar 6, 2024 at 6:48 AM Post #5,524 of 6,742
Is it worth swapping the stock 6SN7GT for something in that price class to beginn with?

Do we have a list of how Envy behaves with different 6SN7GT in relation to the stock? (warmth, wetness / staging / detail / other timbre changes)

Mar 6, 2024 at 7:32 AM Post #5,525 of 6,742
If someone is selling a matched pair of Brimar 6SN7GT CV1988 driver tubes for £35 on ebay, are there red flags about that? Seems very cheap the way some people talk about them on this thread (though I know they're not the best or anything).

Full listing is here if anyone is interested: Brimar listing on eBay
These are the Brimars that I use and enjoy. You can also find them with this brown base and smoked black glass. Those perform the same. I have some RCA 5692 red base on the way. I saw a listing on eBay for four RCA red base JAN CRC tubes that tested very well for $440. That's the best price that I've seen because most pairs sell for close to that amount and he was selling a quad. I didn't buy them because I only wanted a pair and didn't need a quad because I've bought a lot of driver tubes recently.

Attachments

• IMG_1449.jpg
    IMG_1449.jpg
    493.7 KB · Views: 0
Mar 6, 2024 at 8:03 AM Post #5,526 of 6,742
The Soviet pair just seem SO much cheaper, I don't even know if they'll bring anything to the table beyond the stock. This is so overwhelming and complicated for a newbie :)

Thanks a lot for such a detailed response.
That Soviet pair does seem too cheap to me. I'm not sure how they'll sound but the Great Britain versions are what most talk about when referring to Brimar. I would look for a pair made in England.

Mar 6, 2024 at 11:50 AM Post #5,527 of 6,742
I'm tempted to get some WE300B's to have a different taste. I love my MO's but i wonder how a softer warmer 300B would shift the tonality with the various 6SN7's i have...
Maybe when i get the HE-6 sold...

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 2:22 PM Post #5,529 of 6,742
Mar 6, 2024 at 2:50 PM Post #5,530 of 6,742
I'm tempted to get some WE300B's to have a different taste. I love my MO's but i wonder how a softer warmer 300B would shift the tonality with the various 6SN7's i have...
Maybe when i get the HE-6 sold...
I recently got my MOs back and I must say I forgot how crazy they are. The detail and dynamics are just ridiculous.

The WEs are still very detailed but they have this wonderful lush midrange. I bought a second pair I liked them so much.

I think you should definately have both in your stable as effectively it gives you two different tube amps to listen to. Two completely different flavours depending on your mood 😉

P.S. looking forward to that Envy review

Mar 6, 2024 at 2:55 PM Post #5,531 of 6,742
Saturday can't come soon enough! A couple shots from an upcoming video from @GoldenSound :wink:

Mystery 1.jpg

Mystery.jpg
Well this seems exciting. Maybe I will hold off from buying the Envy for a little bit....

Mar 6, 2024 at 2:57 PM Post #5,532 of 6,742
Beautiful black wood I spot there. This thing will be gorgeous.

I suspect, you can buy several Envys at the price of this :)

Mar 6, 2024 at 3:13 PM Post #5,533 of 6,742
I pulled the trigger on the WE300B's, why not, it seems i am kinda stuck on headphones now and would rather tweak the chain a bit.

Is that blackwood or so? It's looks almost pure black. If it's not wood anymore it decreases my interest by a lot. Maybe it's just the lighting. Well, for that price it could be the HE-1 marble from the quarry that Michelangelo made the statue of David out of.
Not that i would try to sell my Envy and drop another 10k€ for this Edition. Maybe i aggressively invite myself to @ThanatosVI place and one dark night, his Envy goes missing. Oh no, what a shame!
Still, i am Envyous (and i already own one, goddamn this hobby...).

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 3:19 PM Post #5,534 of 6,742
I pulled the trigger on the WE300B's, why not, it seems i am kinda stuck on headphones now and would rather tweak the chain a bit.

Is that blackwood or so? It's looks almost pure black. If it's not wood anymore it decreases my interest by a lot. Maybe it's just the lightning. Well, for that price it could be the HE-1 marble from the quarry that Michelangelo made the statue of David out of.
Not that i would try to sell my Envy and drop another 10k€ for this Edition. Maybe i aggressively invite myself to @ThanatosVI place and one dark night, his Envy goes missing. Oh no, what a shame!
You will love the WB300B they are amazing beautify balanced and soft the midrange is just amazing, I love them fall in love first second 😍

Mar 6, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #5,535 of 6,742

Is that blackwood or so? It's looks almost pure black. If it's not wood anymore it decreases my interest by a lot. Maybe it's just the lighting. Well, for that price it could be the HE-1 marble from the quarry that Michelangelo made the statue of David out of.
It's Piano Laqueur. So like a Piano Wood, but with laqueur.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back