Feliks Audio ENVY
Mar 6, 2024 at 4:47 PM Post #5,536 of 6,930
If someone is selling a matched pair of Brimar 6SN7GT CV1988 driver tubes for £35 on ebay, are there red flags about that? Seems very cheap the way some people talk about them on this thread (though I know they're not the best or anything).

Full listing is here if anyone is interested: Brimar listing on eBay
These are genuine Brimars being sold by the same seller. They test well and will sound the same as the more expensive examples, which have perfect military markings. These examples don’t have the military markings which others have posted here in answer to your query.

IMG_1564.png

Mar 6, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #5,537 of 6,930
These are genuine Brimars being sold by the same seller. They test well and will sound the same as the more expensive examples, which have perfect military markings. These examples don’t have the military markings which others have posted here in answer to your query.

IMG_1564.png
Should the £35 ones sound better than the stock PSVane ones on the Envy? Are pretty much the same? I'm also trying to think ahead as to what will pair nicely with Elrog or WE 300bs.

Mar 6, 2024 at 5:03 PM Post #5,538 of 6,930
In the same boat, getting Envy in this week, Elrogs are on the move too, considering Elrogs might lack a bit of midrange, wondering which 6SN7GT to add, for a bit more midrange and tubyness to Elrogs profile

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 5:05 PM Post #5,539 of 6,930
In the same boat, getting Envy in thsi week, Elrogs are on the move too, considering Elrogs might lack a bit of midrange, wondering which 6SN7GT to add bit more midrange and tubyness to Elrogs profile
I would have a listen first. All of the Elrogs are pretty amazing. I doubt you'll feel much is missing.

The WEs are known for their midrange is all and so this they excel at.

Mar 6, 2024 at 5:19 PM Post #5,540 of 6,930
yep got WE on my radar too.

Mar 6, 2024 at 6:15 PM Post #5,542 of 6,930
I can't comment on Elrogs because I don't have them and I currently use Sophia Electric 300Bs. I can say that both the Brimar CV1988 6SN7 and Brimar CV4003 12AU7 added warmth and tubeyness to the midrange. The Brimar CV4003 added more mid-bass as well. I used both sets of Brimars with the performance version full music 300Bs. Not sure how they will impact the sound of the Elrogs. I am waiting on my RCA 5692 red base to come in because I heard they are tubey as well.
Right now, I'm thoroughly enjoying the Sophia Electric 300Bs with Telefunken G73r drivers. This combination is amazing and I haven't taken the G73r's out since receiving them.

Mar 7, 2024 at 6:39 PM Post #5,543 of 6,930
Mar 7, 2024 at 6:50 PM Post #5,544 of 6,930
Hmmm, not sure if you would class these as bookshelves…but the Dynaudio Special 40’s are nice. Have mine on stands, easy to drive too.
Do you have a power amp for them or is the Envy able to power them direct?

Mar 7, 2024 at 6:51 PM Post #5,545 of 6,930
Mar 7, 2024 at 7:15 PM Post #5,546 of 6,930
Mar 7, 2024 at 7:29 PM Post #5,547 of 6,930
Oh I see. Are the specifications different for the Felik's version?
Just a re-labeled version. Other than the branding, they are identical.

Mar 8, 2024 at 5:00 AM Post #5,548 of 6,930
Haven't even got my Envy yet, but thought I'd make a head start on things :) Now delving into the murky world of 6SN7s...

Thanks a ton to @turbofeet for the sale. Delivery could only have been faster if you lived down the road from me!

PXL_20240308_095158280.jpg

Mar 8, 2024 at 5:04 AM Post #5,549 of 6,930
Haven't even got my Envy yet, but thought I'd make a head start on things :) Now delving into the murky world of 6SN7s...

Thanks a ton to @turbofeet for the sale. Delivery could only have been faster if you lived down the road from me!

PXL_20240308_095158280.jpg
Awesome - it's always a worry when you post such things but glad they arrived safely! I added some bubble wrap in between the boxes as the display box is actually slightly too big for the tube boxes.

Please let us know what you think of them. They are lovely tubes :)

Mar 8, 2024 at 7:12 AM Post #5,550 of 6,930
Got my Envy yesterday from @ThanatosVI, beautiful unit with dark wood. Already unboxing it was a joy, the build oozes quality.

I had around 10h listen so far comparing it to Holo Bliss on Susvara and my ZMFs. So few first, probably overly enthusiastic new toy impressions.

Even with stock tubes, I can confidently say, its one of the best pieces of audio gear I ever owned, if not the best. Expected some buyers remorse considering the price, but it certainly was a better investment than another headphone or IEM, whole chain just opened up.

Comparing it to Bliss its not even close. Its not just about prefering the tube sound, but the stage is bigger, the mids are richer, seperation is better, the timbre is much more natural and the hologprahy of the sounscape is just so damn lifelike. The wet tube euphony is the final nail in my Bliss coffin. Coming from Feliks Euphoria and Ha-3a I never thought a tube amp would outresolve Bliss but here we are. I briefly heard Ha-300 Mk.2 some time ago, I wasnt nearly as impressed, it was the right call with Envy.
And yeah Susvara came to life, it was pretty damn good on Bliss, but with Envy its a different headphone, now it sounds somewhat similar to ZMF tuning with rich mids and thick timbre, but with all the benefits of giant airy stage and the usual summit fi Susvara technicalities.

Dont have the proper interconnects yet, wondering if there is any benefit using Bliss as pre-amp for Envy?

Cant wait for the Elrogs to come in from ThanatosVI too, right now I honestly have no idea how much better it can get. I suspect Envy and 300b will be an exciting journey.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back