Feliks Audio ENVY
Apr 11, 2024 at 5:59 AM Post #6,392 of 6,973
Apr 11, 2024 at 6:24 AM Post #6,396 of 6,973
Cool. Wonder how they do the black piano finish on that metal chassis.
It's probably nearly identical as to how they'd Mount the other wood types.

Don't forget a piano is a wooden instrument. So will the Envy AE be still in a wood chassis.
However that wood has piano laqueur.
The dimensions are slightly smaller, which is the main reason why the non wooden elements are slightly different, but the overall process is probably the same

Apr 11, 2024 at 7:48 AM Post #6,397 of 6,973
I haven't received my Envy as of yet--otherwise I wouldn't be asking this question because I could feed it either way I choose, so I'm just asking to hear some thoughts before hand. Has anyone experimented with both--single ended and balanced gear and found the Envy to benefit in perform and function from the single ended input in comparison to balanced input being it is a single ended amplifier and not balanced end to end? I will be feeding the Envy with the Spring 3 KTE.

Thank you

Apr 11, 2024 at 8:27 AM Post #6,398 of 6,973
Today i battled the most powerful enemy of all audiophiles: CHANNEL IMBALANCE.
I noticed it first with the Susvara: The right channel was louder, everything got shifted a bit to the right. 1266: Also, but to a lesser degree, am i imagining it? Valkyria: The same as Susvara -> thank god, neither of my headphones are damaged.
Checked on my Maxwell: Perfection down the middle -> can't be any form of software, that leaves the Spring and the Envy. I prayed: Please just let it be the 6SN7's.
Switched Elrogs for WE's: Still imbalanced. RELIEVE, my Elrog's aren't it. Swapped the PSvane Globes to my cheap Electro Harmonix -> no imbalance. Removed the socket savers of the globe tubes and swapped them around -> YUP, now everything is shifted a bit to the left. THANK GOD! While i payed ~220€, that was the best outcome i could have wished for.
Sooo, i don't recommend the PSvane Globe 6SN7's anymore, shame, they look really nice and i liked their sound. Maybe i get some pairs of cheaper 6SN7's and try a bit around more. I have two expensive pairs and don't want to spend 500€+ again on a delicate item that can go bad any time, especially since you mostly don't have a good warranty with NOS tubes. Thankfully both my Tungsols and Brimars are still fine.

Apr 11, 2024 at 8:31 AM Post #6,399 of 6,973
It's probably nearly identical as to how they'd Mount the other wood types.

Don't forget a piano is a wooden instrument. So will the Envy AE be still in a wood chassis.
However that wood has piano laqueur.
The dimensions are slightly smaller, which is the main reason why the non wooden elements are slightly different, but the overall process is probably the same
So do you think the wood is actually already finished and they just repurpose old piano wood and relaquer the top coat or do they start from scratch, build the wood box and then paint and lacquer? Any chance the finish will crack over time with changes in humidity and heating from the tubes and electronics?

Apr 11, 2024 at 9:39 AM Post #6,400 of 6,973
I haven't received my Envy as of yet--otherwise I wouldn't be asking this question because I could feed it either way I choose, so I'm just asking to hear some thoughts before hand. Has anyone experimented with both--single ended and balanced gear and found the Envy to benefit in perform and function from the single ended input in comparison to balanced input being it is a single ended amplifier and not balanced end to end? I will be feeding the Envy with the Spring 3 KTE.

Thank you
I've tried Envy from both inputs and it sounds exactly the same to me. I think the balanced input is converted to single ended signal and that the XLRs are mainly for versatility with different gear. As you stated, Envy is single ended and I saw no performance difference.

Apr 11, 2024 at 9:42 AM Post #6,401 of 6,973
I noticed it first with the Susvara: The right channel was louder, everything got shifted a bit to the right. 1266: Also, but to a lesser degree, am i imagining it? Valkyria: The same as Susvara -> thank god, neither of my headphones are damaged.
Checked on my Maxwell: Perfection down the middle -> can't be any form of software, that leaves the Spring and the Envy. I prayed: Please just let it be the 6SN7's.
Switched Elrogs for WE's: Still imbalanced. RELIEVE, my Elrog's aren't it. Swapped the PSvane Globes to my cheap Electro Harmonix -> no imbalance. Removed the socket savers of the globe tubes and swapped them around -> YUP, now everything is shifted a bit to the left. THANK GOD! While i payed ~220€, that was the best outcome i could have wished for.
Sooo, i don't recommend the PSvane Globe 6SN7's anymore, shame, they look really nice and i liked their sound. Maybe i get some pairs of cheaper 6SN7's and try a bit around more. I have two expensive pairs and don't want to spend 500€+ again on a delicate item that can go bad any time, especially since you mostly don't have a good warranty with NOS tubes. Thankfully both my Tungsols and Brimars are still fine.
The same thing happened to me a few days ago and like you, I was worried that my Susvara were broken. I tried more headphones with the same result then used a different amp and all was fine. I started swapping tubes and it turns out that one of the NOS driver tubes that I'd just started using was bad. Fortunately Vintage Tube Services in the US has a very good reputation and 100% customer satisfaction guaranteed on their tubes. I called him and he told me to send both tubes back and he would replace them.

Apr 11, 2024 at 9:57 AM Post #6,402 of 6,973
And that happens if your tubes aren't well matched. So be careful guys

Apr 11, 2024 at 10:04 AM Post #6,403 of 6,973
So do you think the wood is actually already finished and they just repurpose old piano wood and relaquer the top coat or do they start from scratch, build the wood box and then paint and lacquer? Any chance the finish will crack over time with changes in humidity and heating from the tubes and electronics?
They don't repurpose old piano wood but have it manufactured by a polish piano manufacturer as a special request item or something along those lines.

To my understanding they build the wood Box, paint and laqueur it and then Assemble it, but I make some assumptions here hand would have to ask to confirm/deny this.

So far it didn't happen with any other wood on the Envy, therefore I wouldn't expect the AE to start with Cracks in the finish.

Apr 11, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #6,404 of 6,973
I've tried Envy from both inputs and it sounds exactly the same to me. I think the balanced input is converted to single ended signal and that the XLRs are mainly for versatility with different gear. As you stated, Envy is single ended and I saw no performance difference.
As you mentioned, and from what I understand--yes, the balanced input is converted to single ended and the XLR are there for convenience.
My concern was that if it was paired with balanced gear that the Envy wouldn't function correctly--or rather at its best being there is a conversion going on, so I thought maybe single ended would be the way to go so there was no conversion. Thank you for your input, I appreciate it.

Apr 11, 2024 at 1:43 PM Post #6,405 of 6,973
Been using the Siemens C3G (quad) for several months. Switched to Brimar 6J5G L63 (quad) today.

Loses a bit of high end detail and some dynamics but gains a lot of emotion. Brimar's are very nice as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back